Math Software

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

thoughtfully

Re: Can't find good math software

Postby thoughtfully » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:07 am UTC

Zohar wrote:I asked in the help desk but didn't get a reply, I figured I'd ask here.
I'm trying to make a "map" or my friends. I want to see my friends and how I know them (for example, I'll have me in the middle of the map, a friend connected to me with a "friend" line, then his cousin connected to him with a "family member" line. I think the most "distant" person I know that way is a friend's cousin's friend's friend's friend's ex-girlfriend). I'd like to include family members in it etc.

So, anyone have any idea what I should use for it? I suppose a graph theory software would work, but I don't know any and didn't have much luck finding something suitable online. Do you know of a freeware program that can work? I don't have any programming knowledge at all, if that means anything.

The standard open source graph rendering software is Graphviz. I dunno how easy it is to use, and maybe Dia is enough for you.

antonfire wrote:I'm looking for software that'd allow me to make mathematical diagrams quickly, without too much effort. I don't like to have to aim exactly at a circle after I've drawn it to get a radius, and I like to be able to adjust things after I'm done.

I used Pro/ENGINEER for an engineering class last semester, and its sketching function was pretty excellent. If my mouse was near a curve, it would assume that I wanted a point on the curve. If a line was nearly vertical, it would assume that I wanted it vertical. If two lines were about the same length, it would assume that they were supposed to be the same length. (Of course, all of these constraints could be disabled.) I could adjust dimensions and things after drawing them, by dragging things around or by entering numerical values, and the constraints that we had before (vertical lines, point on a curve) would stay satisfied. Basically, I really liked the design of it.

Of course, it was part of a 3D engineering modelling thing that I don't need and can't possibly afford for my own computer.

Now I'm looking for a (free?) program that would do some of the same nice stuff that Pro/ENGINEER Sketcher does, and I haven't been able to find anything yet.

I created a diagram using Kig and then cleaning up the svg output with Inkscape. The greek theta is an imported svg file from Wikimedia Commons.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Rokue

Postby Rokue » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

If you're using Windows XP you could try Power Calculator

Qoppa

Re: Math Software

Postby Qoppa » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

What do people use to make math papers? I.e. what program lets you type pretty math equations?

Code: Select all

_=0,w=-1,(*t)(int,int);a()??<char*p="[gd\
~/d~/\\b\x7F\177l*~/~djal{x}h!\005h";(++w
<033)?(putchar((*t)(w??(p:>,w?_:0XD)),a()
):0;%>O(x,l)??<_='['/7;{return!(x%(_-11))
?x??'l:x^(1+ ++l);}??>main(){t=&O;w=a();}

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:02 am UTC

Qoppa wrote:What do people use to make math papers? I.e. what program lets you type pretty math equations?

I usually make do with the good ol' Microsoft Equation Editor (aka MathType), but you'll find no shortage of LaTeX devotees. (Bit of a learning curve to that one.)

NathanielJ

Postby NathanielJ » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:13 am UTC

I've never heard of a professional math paper being written in anything but LaTeX (at least in the last 5 years or so).
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:12 pm UTC

Sorry to highjack the topic a bit, but is anyone able to recommend any free LaTeX editors that one could use to write math papers with? I'd like to learn, but have no idea where to begin.

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Qoppa wrote:Sorry to highjack the topic a bit, but is anyone able to recommend any free LaTeX editors that one could use to write math papers with? I'd like to learn, but have no idea where to begin.

Seems on topic to me.

LyX is probably what you want.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

You first need a distribution (which includes the compiler, fonts, packages, DVI viewer etc), for example MikTeX.

LED (Latex EDitor) is a pretty good editor. TeXnicCenter is nice too. I've never used LyX, maybe this is a good time to try it.

The standard tutorial is "the not so short introduction to latex2", also affectionately known as "lshort". Google for the latter to find it.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

Well I just installed LyX, and though it took a while for me to actually get it working, I think it's exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks!

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

LeD and TeXnicCenter both look pretty nifty. But they are windoze only :(

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

After messing around with LyX a bit more, I've come to the conclusion I don't like it. It's buggy and doesn't seem to support a lot of commands. I've installed LEd and it seems much better. It's a far steeper learning curve because it's just LaTeX code (i.e. no GUI that hides the code like LyX), but it actually works and displays exactly what I want when I enter the code correctly.

zaqwithaq

Postby zaqwithaq » Wed May 14, 2008 2:30 pm UTC

If you have a r4/ m3 for your ds, there is a simple graphing calculator emulator http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2262
Spoiler:

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Wed May 14, 2008 5:28 pm UTC

Qoppa wrote:After messing around with LyX a bit more, I've come to the conclusion I don't like it. It's buggy and doesn't seem to support a lot of commands. I've installed LEd and it seems much better. It's a far steeper learning curve because it's just LaTeX code (i.e. no GUI that hides the code like LyX), but it actually works and displays exactly what I want when I enter the code correctly.

I'm having trouble getting LEd to work. I've downloaded MiKTeX and LEd, and installed them, but when I try to use the test run they suggest, it doesn't work, it just gives me a text file filled with garbage stuff I don't understand. Did you have to do anything extra to get it to work? I'm on Vista, if that makes a difference.
Londo: Maybe it was something I said?
G'Kar: Maybe it is everything you say.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Wed May 14, 2008 5:56 pm UTC

The only special thing you have to do is copy a special dll (which is linked to from LEd's site) to make the built-in DVI viewer work (you don't have to do this yet, if the test you're talking about is this one http://www.latexeditor.org/how_to_start.html ). The text file you're talking about, is it a .dvi-file? Did you open it with YAP (the DVI viewer that you get with MiKTeX)?

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Wed May 14, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

No, I don't think it produced a .dvi file. At least, if it did, I couldn't find it. Here's what I did:
* Downloaded MiKTeX and LEd.
* Installed MiKTeK and LEd
* Created a .txt file with the code from http://www.latexeditor.org/how_to_start.html, and saved it.
* Opened command prompt.
* Went to the directory with the text file in.
* typed

latex test.tex

At this point the computer asked me which language I was using, so I said 'english' (This was on the list of options it gave)
Then the computer opened a .txt file with some code in it, which I didn't recognise. I couldn't see a .dvi file anywhere.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Wed May 14, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

You should make a .tex file, not a .txt file, but I guess that's what you did since you didn't get an error when you ran "latex test.tex"? latex shouldn't ask you your language and it certainly shouldn't open any .txt file. Could you copy and paste your input and output in the console? It should look something like this.

E:\>more test.tex
\documentclass{article}
 \begin{document}
 My first \TeX~document.
\end{document}

E:\>latex test.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.4 (MiKTeX 2.7)
entering extended mode
(test.tex
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation, ge
rman, ngerman, french, loaded.
("D:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\latex\base\article.cls"
Document Class: article 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
("D:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\latex\base\size10.clo"))
No file test.aux.
[1] (test.aux) )
Output written on test.dvi (1 page, 256 bytes).
Transcript written on test.log.

E:\>yap test.dvi

The last command should open the dvi viewer.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Wed May 14, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

Hmm. I seem to have found the problem. Although I tell Notepad to create a .tex file, it insists on creating a .txt file.

*Slaps himself for making a stupid mistake*

OK, I've downloaded a random .tex file, renamed it to test ran it. It works! I was completely misunderstanding what it was doing, it wasn't asking me for a language at all. It was just saying that it had loaded the hyphenation patterns for different languages and then crashing out.

*Time passes*

Yes! I've successfully created a second, different LaTeX document. Thank you for the help, and sorry for taking your time by making a silly mistake and not realising it. Now all I've got to do is actually learn how to write the stuff.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu May 22, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Chrismclegless wrote:Hmm. I seem to have found the problem. Although I tell Notepad to create a .tex file, it insists on creating a .txt file.

Just because I didn't see this answered and I half-got-the-impression you still need it answered: Put quotes around the filename and extension in the save dialog.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Chrismclegless

Postby Chrismclegless » Mon May 26, 2008 1:07 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:
Chrismclegless wrote:Hmm. I seem to have found the problem. Although I tell Notepad to create a .tex file, it insists on creating a .txt file.

Just because I didn't see this answered and I half-got-the-impression you still need it answered: Put quotes around the filename and extension in the save dialog.

Ooh, thankyou. I'm using LEd to write them so that isn't a problem anymore, but it's useful knowing how to do it. I've run into the problem before.

How tasty is YOUR brain?

craig

Postby craig » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:38 am UTC

MAPLE ownz all

qbg

Postby qbg » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

miles01110 wrote:Is Maxima still around?

Yes it is. It's an "alternative" to Mathematica, and it's free and open source.

Maxima has the advantage of being implemented in Common Lisp, so you can use to_lisp() to get to the REPL if that would be easier for someone. (though using Maxima's symbolic functions might be tricky from lisp, and you need to know how to mangle your function names if you want to use them from Maxima.)

bapt

Postby bapt » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:48 am UTC

i have to mention R: for those unimpressed by Matlab when it comes to functions and scope (not to mention price), R is a very powerful programming language with awesome graphic capabilities. oh, and it's open source.

xixheartxyoux

Postby xixheartxyoux » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:12 am UTC

If you're going for a strictly geometry standpoint, i.e. measureing angles and having parallel lines, Geometers Sketchpad is a God-send. I managed to get a copy for about $40. It can do some basic plotting, but I never got the chance to mess around with that part of the program. Its also fairly easy to shade objects. The program is rather fussy about where the cursor is but if you've got a decent mouse its not too much trouble.

“The highest form of pure thought is in mathematics”--Plato

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:34 am UTC

xixheartxyoux wrote:If you're going for a strictly geometry standpoint, i.e. measureing angles and having parallel lines, Geometers Sketchpad is a God-send. I managed to get a copy for about $40. It can do some basic plotting, but I never got the chance to mess around with that part of the program. Its also fairly easy to shade objects. The program is rather fussy about where the cursor is but if you've got a decent mouse its not too much trouble.

You know they give it away for free, right?
Maybe that's just for students, though.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:33 am UTC

I've been reading a lot about SciPy/Pylab + NumPy + Matplotlib lately. Seems pretty darn spiffy. (Too bad python shells hate me.)

xixheartxyoux

Postby xixheartxyoux » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:You know they give it away for free, right?
Maybe that's just for students, though.

I am a student and I didn't know that! My school has a license for it, but I bought a copy to keep for my home computer so I wouldn't have to be running up to campus all the time. Darn!

“The highest form of pure thought is in mathematics”--Plato

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

xixheartxyoux wrote:I am a student and I didn't know that! My school has a license for it, but I bought a copy to keep for my home computer so I wouldn't have to be running up to campus all the time. Darn!

Yeah. I think the license allows for students to install it on their own computers.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

For mathematicians who are pathological liars:

SAS: Huge dinosaur stats and data manipulation package, tries to be everything, only partially succeeds. Steep learning curve, Steep price. Lots of expensive add-ins.

R: Like SAS, but free. Lots of free but questionably coded add-ins. Caveat emptor.

SPSS, MiniTAB: Clicky stats. Get the job done, if you don't need much.

OpenEpi is cool if you need to do some basic stats from a strange computer.

My overwhelming favorite:
Stata: A bit of a learning curve (can replace 30 lines of SAS code with a single line). Excellent handling of complex survey weights. Small, fast, and powerful, leaves data manipulation to database programs that are good at that sort of thing. Has a peer-reviewed database of new procedures and papers, the online help/journal is amazing. Pisses SAS users off.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

oohal

Postby oohal » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:40 am UTC

Qoppa wrote:What do people use to make math papers? I.e. what program lets you type pretty math equations?

I've used FXequation for most of my assignments this year. Getting the formatting right can be fiddly, but beats using mathtype/equation editor.

Andreas Goebel

Postby Andreas Goebel » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:11 pm UTC

Hi,

math software I use:

Algebra: Maxima with wxMaxima. If sometimes there is a thing that maxima cannot do, I use MuPad (my school has a license for this).

Geometry:
a) 2D: I use Euklid (http://www.dynageo.de). My school has a license for it. But I also like GeoGebra , ZuL (see here: http://mathsrv.ku-eichstaett.de/MGF/hom ... va/zirkel/) and Cinderella (see here: http://www.cinderella.de/tiki-index.php).
b) 3D: I use (of course) my own Software Archimedes Geo3D (http://www.spatialgeometry.com). It is, in short a "Sketchpad 3D", you can do all that you expect from an interactive geometry software.

Graphing:

I use Gnuplot and sometimes GeoGebra. For 3D graphs I use Archimedes Geo3D, too.

Regards,

Andreas

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:30 am UTC

Does anyone know of a free program capable of graphing implicit functions in R3? Preferably for Linux.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:40 am UTC

Something else I've been meaning to look into is OpenDX. It looks pretty funky.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

Qoppa wrote:Does anyone know of a free program capable of graphing implicit functions in R3? Preferably for Linux.

I suspect someone does, yes.

Qoppa

Postby Qoppa » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
Qoppa wrote:Does anyone know of a free program capable of graphing implicit functions in R3? Preferably for Linux.

:roll:

I've only tried gnuplot, and from what I can tell, it will only plot functions given in the form z=f(x,y). I want to plot surfaces given in the form F(x,y,z)=0.

Andreas Goebel

Postby Andreas Goebel » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Qoppa wrote:
Alpha Omicron wrote:

:roll:

I've only tried gnuplot, and from what I can tell, it will only plot functions given in the form z=f(x,y). I want to plot surfaces given in the form F(x,y,z)=0.

You can do that with MuPaD (non-free), and in case of polynomials with surf (http://surf.sourceforge.net/). You can do that with Maple, and probably most other CAS. You can´t do it with Maxima.

Regards,

Andreas

Ended

Postby Ended » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

You can also do it in MATLAB (non-free). Sadly Octave (the free clone) can't handle such things.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

Ended wrote:You can also do it in MATLAB (non-free). Sadly Octave (the free clone) can't handle such things.
Gee, I didn't know Octave's limitations were so sharply defined. How about Pylab?

Ended

Postby Ended » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:09 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Ended wrote:You can also do it in MATLAB (non-free). Sadly Octave (the free clone) can't handle such things.
Gee, I didn't know Octave's limitations were so sharply defined. How about Pylab?
Yeah, it's because Octave uses gnuplot as its graphics backend. I've never used Pylab though, so I'm not sure about that.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:27 am UTC

Here are a few I've found useful/fun/interesting:

Equation Editor
  • MathCast - MathML/XHTML - outputs PNG, others, Windows only
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:45 am UTC

Zohar wrote:I asked in the help desk but didn't get a reply, I figured I'd ask here.

I'm trying to make a "map" or my friends. I want to see my friends and how I know them (for example, I'll have me in the middle of the map, a friend connected to me with a "friend" line, then his cousin connected to him with a "family member" line. I think the most "distant" person I know that way is a friend's cousin's friend's friend's friend's ex-girlfriend). I'd like to include family members in it etc.

So, anyone have any idea what I should use for it? I suppose a graph theory software would work, but I don't know any and didn't have much luck finding something suitable online. Do you know of a freeware program that can work? I don't have any programming knowledge at all, if that means anything.

Take a look at this article on sociograms. It has some links to software near the bottom.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

Return to “Mathematics”