The Design Inference

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Waterhouse

The Design Inference

Postby Waterhouse » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

I'd like to discuss the book The Design Inference by William Dembski. I'm fairly well-versed in mathematics and probability and was able to follow along with it, but I was wondering if anyone else here has read the book and would like to discuss its merits.

Please, I'd like to keep the topic of this thread to be a discussion of the work. Please only reply if you've really read it and can comment knowledgeably, though I have no way to enforece that. Thanks.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: The Design Inference

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:03 pm UTC

Waterhouse wrote:Please only reply if you've really read it and can comment knowledgeably, though I have no way to enforece that. Thanks.

You're right. You don't. And it's generally considered bad form for posters to try and dictate the terms of the discussion when they start a thread.

So everyone else: feel free to comment whether or not you've actually read the book, as long as you have something to say that would be relevant to a discussion thereof. The guy's website is here, and it looks at first glance to be pretty ridiculous. Fairly typical hand-wavy arguments against the author's own misunderstanding of evolutionary theory, in the absence of any kind of suggestion for a testable alternate theory apart from the nebulous idea of "design".
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “Mathematics”