Nice graphs?

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Azrael UK

Nice graphs?

Postby Azrael UK » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

Does anybody know of any cool-looking graphs? I spent ages playing with the superellipse formula yesterday, and having [imath]n\propto{}\sin{k}[/imath] and increasing k. (The result is a rectangle whose sides bulge in and outwards). Can anybody point me towards some more complex ones?

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Re: Nice graphs?

Postby Sungura » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

Use polar coordinates with different trig functions can get you hearts to flowers and a whole bunch of other neat stuff - my brother used to draw pictures with graphs all the time. Parametric curves (I think that is what they are called) also can produce some very pretty results. Try things in 3D too :)

Here is a site with a whole bunch of things you can do.
http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/topic ... hod=recent
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Bullislander05

Postby Bullislander05 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:29 am UTC

Try the Cornu Spiral. It's the third graph on the right on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornu_spiral

I like it. :)

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:50 am UTC

Just zipping through wikipedia, looking for one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weierstrass_function

I found this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theta_function and I think it's rather pretty.

My calc professor said something about... a non-measurable and additive function (that is, f(a+b)=f(a)+f(b)) is dense in the plane, so the function sort of covers up the whole plane with a cloud of points, which I find rather fascinating. But I don't know what "non-measurable" means...
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

mordacil

Postby mordacil » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:19 am UTC

The polar graph of Riemann's zeta function (picture here) looks pretty neat.

eltriuqS

Postby eltriuqS » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:04 pm UTC

i tried the following in polar coordinates, but didn't get the exact result i wanted..
    3(1-abs(sin(abs(x+pi/2)/2)))
    sin(0.5abs(abs(x-1.5pi)-pi) )*2
    abs(abs(x-1.5pi)-pi)
    abs(abs(x-1.5pi)-pi) ^0.6
    abs(abs(x-1.5pi)-pi) ^1.4

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:33 am UTC

pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:55 am UTC

in ur beanz makin u eveel

RedWolf

Postby RedWolf » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:04 am UTC

Sungura wrote:Use polar coordinates with different trig functions can get you hearts to flowers and a whole bunch of other neat stuff - my brother used to draw pictures with graphs all the time.

I was actually messing around with this earlier this year, and came up with something that vaguely resembled a dragonfly by graphing tan(tan(tan(x))). The exact number of tangent functions I used, I can't remember, however.

Lancashire McGee

Postby Lancashire McGee » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:55 pm UTC

mordacil wrote:The polar graph of Riemann's zeta function (picture here) looks pretty neat.

I was very pleased to be able to program my TI-83 to make this happen.

GBog

Postby GBog » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

But... how?

Bretteur

Postby Bretteur » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:13 pm UTC

RedWolf wrote:
Sungura wrote:Use polar coordinates with different trig functions can get you hearts to flowers and a whole bunch of other neat stuff - my brother used to draw pictures with graphs all the time.

I was actually messing around with this earlier this year, and came up with something that vaguely resembled a dragonfly by graphing tan(tan(tan(x))). The exact number of tangent functions I used, I can't remember, however.

I came up with something similar a while ago. I didn't use tangent though, I used this:

(sin^4(4x) + cos^4(5x)) * (sin^8(5x)+cos^2(2x)+sin(3x))

Or rather, I made those two as separate functions r1 and r2 and then made r3 r1*r2. That made it a bit easier to experiment.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:48 pm UTC

Why bother with boring old functions when you can use Differential Equations?
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

NathanielJ

Postby NathanielJ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:35 pm UTC

That becomes profoundly uninteresting (to the point of making me wonder why it even has a name, a wiki page, and/or is called self-referential) once you read about how it works.
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com

Lancashire McGee

Postby Lancashire McGee » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:37 am UTC

GBog wrote:But... how?

Basically, the program I wrote calculates every value of the Riemann Zeta Function for Zeta(1/2 +it), t between 0 and 35, inclusive, going by some tiny increment. After calculating, Pt-on(Re(z), Im(z)).

Place in oven, wait two to three hours, and presto! Delicious Zetacakes.

afarnen

Postby afarnen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:35 am UTC

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the graphs of fractals, like the Mandlebrot set for instance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandelbrot_set#Image_gallery_of_a_zoom_sequence

Here's a nice video of a Mandlebrot set zoom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJE35wX1nQ&feature=related

Besides fractals, polytopes of dimension 4 and higher are pretty rad as well (though sometimes more intellectually stimulating than just pretty). Neat visualizations of various 4-polytopes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convex_regular_4-polytope#Visualizations

susanspy

Postby susanspy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

Hello all,

Thanks a million afarnen for the great comment, i was looking for what you have posted, i digged many places but ultimately found it here, happy to do so, please do post some cool links of videos like the once you just did.

Cheers!!!

Macbi

Postby Macbi » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

NathanielJ wrote:

That becomes profoundly uninteresting (to the point of making me wonder why it even has a name, a wiki page, and/or is called self-referential) once you read about how it works.

The wikipedia article didn't explain it very well, does it just fill the entier plane with pixels such that any given picture has to be in there somewhere? If so, it's a lot more lame than I thought.
    Indigo is a lie.
    Which idiot decided that websites can't go within 4cm of the edge of the screen?
    There should be a null word, for the question "Is anybody there?" and to see if microphones are on.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:35 pm UTC

[math]{1\over 2} < \left\lfloor \mathrm{mod}\left(\left\lfloor {y \over 17} \right\rfloor 2^{-17 \lfloor x \rfloor - \mathrm{mod}(\lfloor y\rfloor, 17)},2\right)\right\rfloor[/math]

The floor( y/17 ) extracts data stored in n.

mod( y, 17 ) extracts a value from 0 to 16 from the y coordinate.

K * 2^(-17x-mod( y, 17 ) )
moves the 17x+mod(y, 17) bit of K to the right spot near the decimal point.

K is floor( y/ 17 ) -- the data stored in n.

The mod operation then throws out the 'higher order' -- data too far away from the decimal point in the other direction.

< 1/2 throws out the 'lower order information'.

So ya, at location (binary encoding for a black and white image with 17 height)*17 in the y coordinate, it will graph that image.

This is a toy problem you throw at someone who writes a graphing package. But it is a funny toy.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

I created the following graphs by accident (or, if you will, a mad experiment?!). Quothing myself:

Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:(From this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3366&p=66875&hilit=bat+curve#p66875 )

My first try was x=cos(t), y=sin(t)+cos(t)sin(1/cos(t)):
It became BAT CURVE!

But maybe something like (x sin(1/x))^2+y^2=1/2?
Coincidentally, it looks a lot like the Batman logo.

Return to “Mathematics”