pie charts

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

bocochoco

pie charts

Postby bocochoco » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

So my new boss asked me to make a pie chart of my responsibilities at work, but she did so in a manner which left me irritated. I'd like to return this irritation to her in the form of the most complicated thing that I can give her that actually represents a pie chart. I figured who better to ask for this than people who are good at math. I've thought of drawing it in a 3d environment and giving her a long list of vectors, but that could be a rather long list depending on the model. Is there something that I could use to represent a pie chart or something similar using numbers, formulas, etc.?

stephentyrone

Re: pie charts

Postby stephentyrone » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:59 pm UTC

Does this sound like a recipe for disaster to anyone else?
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

@stephentyrone: you are not alone in your assessment.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:25 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:@stephentyrone: you are not alone in your assessment.

I feel like I know this person in real life :) The person I'm thinking of has been passed over for promotion 6 times in the last 4 years.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

bocochoco

Postby bocochoco » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:
jestingrabbit wrote:@stephentyrone: you are not alone in your assessment.

I feel like I know this person in real life :) The person I'm thinking of has been passed over for promotion 6 times in the last 4 years.

More like passed over for promotion 3 times in the last 6 months -_- but yea. The people I work with will find this humorous, not offensive. I just can't think of the best way to do it.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

The first step to winning is knowing which battles aren't worth fighting.

bocochoco

Postby bocochoco » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

gorcee wrote:The first step to winning is knowing which battles aren't worth fighting.

Oh I've already won, though in a different battle. My bosses (yes, I have 3 of them) all think differently about colors. Now when developing, I use a rainbow assortment of colors. It still looks good, just extremely brightly colored.In short, i'm not going to lose my job over this, just trying to make it more fun.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

bocochoco wrote:Oh I've already won, though in a different battle.

bocochoco wrote:More like passed over for promotion 3 times in the last 6 months

Sounds like it :)
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

bocochoco

Postby bocochoco » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:
bocochoco wrote:Oh I've already won, though in a different battle.

bocochoco wrote:More like passed over for promotion 3 times in the last 6 months

Sounds like it :)

You didn't have to rub it in. Thanks ;_;

Woxor

Postby Woxor » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:51 am UTC

Not to disappoint on the "complex mathematical ideas" front, but I'm thinking of something like a regular pie chart, only animated as a gif that spins really fast like a wheel. Or does it have to be a hard-copy? You could bake an actual pie with different segments having different flavors.

bocochoco

Postby bocochoco » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:39 pm UTC

Woxor wrote:Not to disappoint on the "complex mathematical ideas" front, but I'm thinking of something like a regular pie chart, only animated as a gif that spins really fast like a wheel. Or does it have to be a hard-copy? You could bake an actual pie with different segments having different flavors.

I wanted to do the real pie idea, but that would be delicious and probably wouldn't make it to work. I thought for sure that someone here could help me find a way to make it confusing.

Talith
Proved the Goldbach Conjecture

Postby Talith » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:45 pm UTC

complex numbers? Instead of drawing a pie chart you could just give the area that a particular segment sweeps out in terms of where the end points are one the unit circle in the complex plane. eg. if a segment represents 20% then it goes from i on the unit circle to e^i(pi/10)~ 0.951+0.309i. Then you can just list each segment as a list of 2 numbers and let your bosses do the math.

gorcee

Postby gorcee » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:16 pm UTC

You could give each segment of the pie in terms of some gaussian, perhaps. Allow me an example.

During a given week, say you spend a mean of 30% of your hours figuring out meaningless tasks to annoy your supervisors, with a variance of 10% of your hours. You could then make a segment of the pie colorized with the alpha-blending based on the Gaussian.

Then if you spend a mean of 20% of your week wondering why on earth it could be that you get passed over for promotion, with a variance of 15% of your hours, you could colorize a different slice of that pie with the same thing.

That way, each slice of the pie overlaps with the other, based on your actual tasking for the week. And it will be colorful.

mr-mitch

Postby mr-mitch » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:58 pm UTC

Have a multi layered pie chart. Give them different depths for different levels of importance and compare them on a colour spectrum. You could also present the pie chart in the form of a pie.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

bocochoco wrote:More like passed over for promotion 3 times in the last 6 months -_- but yea. The people I work with will find this humorous, not offensive. I just can't think of the best way to do it.

If you want those promotions at some time in the future, I would suggest you swallow your pride, do a mediocre job with the chart and move on with the rest of your life. Sometimes you have to kowtow to the powers that be, you have demonstrate that you're willing to play the game. Play the game bocochoco, play the game.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:41 am UTC

Talith wrote:complex numbers? Instead of drawing a pie chart you could just give the area that a particular segment sweeps out in terms of where the end points are one the unit circle in the complex plane. eg. if a segment represents 20% then it goes from i on the unit circle to e^i(pi/10)~ 0.951+0.309i. Then you can just list each segment as a list of 2 numbers and let your bosses do the math.

This. Oh, and color code the pie chart using hexadecimal.
Don't forget to add in the responsibility of making pie charts into your pie chart.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:24 am UTC

gorcee wrote:You could give each segment of the pie in terms of some gaussian, perhaps. Allow me an example.

During a given week, say you spend a mean of 30% of your hours figuring out meaningless tasks to annoy your supervisors, with a variance of 10% of your hours. You could then make a segment of the pie colorized with the alpha-blending based on the Gaussian.

Then if you spend a mean of 20% of your week wondering why on earth it could be that you get passed over for promotion, with a variance of 15% of your hours, you could colorize a different slice of that pie with the same thing.

That way, each slice of the pie overlaps with the other, based on your actual tasking for the week. And it will be colorful.

One should probably use standard deviation instead of variance, so that it will have the same units as the mean. (variance is in [units used in mean] squared)
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Return to “Mathematics”