translate Math comic in xkcd style

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Wolfgar

translate Math comic in xkcd style

Postby Wolfgar » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:57 pm UTC

So, at first i'd like to apologize for my english, but I don't have to many occasion to use it. At Second I didn't know where to put it because it's math/language problem.
What is my point?! Can you tell me that translation is ok? especially in second draw. For somebody who speak english everyday it will be simple like flail but not for me.

Dialogue:
First draw:
-We can't end our operation, My Lord/Sir...

Second draw:
-Irrational number...
Again in denominator.

Third draw:
-Get rid of that!
-Yes my Lord/Sir

Titel:
Some time ago i was normal.
Then i go to technical university

PS. - I'm not author of this comic :)But I hope you like it.
PS. - It would be nice if somebody will correct my mistakes.

EduardoLeon

Re: translate Math comic in xkcd style

Postby EduardoLeon » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

btw... I tried to learn Polish, but I just can't. (I mean, written Polish is easily recognizable, but to understand it is another thing.) Verb conjugation is understandable, as Spanish also has verb conjugation, but noun declension is just too mind-boggling.

You got the dialog right, but the title should have been "I was once normal. Then I went to the technical university." ("Some time ago I was normal" is OK, but "I was once normal" sounds more natural.)
Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein!

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

I have do not speak/read or understand the language (Polish apparently) the original comic was written in so I'm doing this purely from the point of view of an Englishman trying to understand the translation.

the title should probably just read

I was normal
then I went to the technical university

even the alternative Eduardo suggested is a little clunky.

The rest of it, I'm not really sure what you're trying to say but I think I can guess at the second panel

If you are referring to 1/sqrt(2) being turned into sqrt(2)/2 (rationilsing the denominator) then I think what you mean is as follows

the denominator is still irrational.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Woxor

Postby Woxor » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:40 am UTC

"I used to be normal," maybe?

EduardoLeon

Postby EduardoLeon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:29 am UTC

Woxor wrote:"I used to be normal," maybe?

Yes! I missed that one!
Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein!

Wolfgar

Postby Wolfgar » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

Thanks everybody!

Now it will should be ok.

@EduardoLeon - wow! I'm imprest. Polish is one of the hardest to learn language on the earth. I think the Hungarian is even worst :P If you will like to learn polish one more time, mail me : balcard[at]gmail.com I will answer for all e-mail.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:10 am UTC

Try this:

First panel:
"We cannot finish our operation, my Lord."

Second panel:
"There is an irrational number . . . in the denominator again." (Any better suggestions here? It might be better not to try to stick to the original format, as it gets kind of awkward in English)

Third panel:
"Well get rid of it!"
"Yes, my Lord."

Title:
"I used to be normal.
"Then I went to a technical school." (I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "technical university," since this probably has a different meaning in Poland than in the U.S. You might just want to go with something like "technical school" or "engineering school," or even "technical institute," but to me at least "technical university" sounds strange. Of course, these are often best if you just substitute the name of an actual school, like "Caltech," or "M.I.T." It might improve the punchline.")

Oh, and to be fair, Wolfgar, English is a pretty hard language to learn, too. The rules in Polish are horrendously complicated (and yes, Hungarian is even worse), but the vast majority of the language at least follows these rules. At the very least, the spellings are roughly phonetic. In English, it can be hard or impossible to figure out the pronuncaition of a word based just on its spelling. To my knowledge this is not the case in Polish.

Return to “Mathematics”