defining a number as "real"

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed May 09, 2007 11:07 pm UTC

So elements of quantum groups are real numbers because they can be physically represented in the bizarre physics of the very small?
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

FiddleMath

Postby FiddleMath » Thu May 10, 2007 7:21 am UTC

I think that a lot of the basic ideas in this thread were discussed, fairly precisely and at length, in this thread, to which I'll link because I'm still quite fond of my little essay, there.

Taejo

Postby Taejo » Mon May 14, 2007 9:05 am UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:
Alky wrote:Formal definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_number

Layman's definition:
Any sequence of digits, with potentially infinite digits after the '.' but a finite amount before it, is a real number. Why the hell would they think 1 isn't a number? What number do you subtract from three to get two?

So 0.999... and 1 are different as real numbers because they are different as sequences of digits?

The definition does not say that DIFFERENT digit sequences are DIFFERENT reals; only that digit sequences ARE reals. It seems to me that this definition is equivalent to the limit of sequence of rationals.
Indiscreet Mathematics, a comic about maths

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Tue May 15, 2007 5:45 pm UTC

Taejo wrote:
skeptical scientist wrote:
Alky wrote:Formal definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_number

Layman's definition:
Any sequence of digits, with potentially infinite digits after the '.' but a finite amount before it, is a real number. Why the hell would they think 1 isn't a number? What number do you subtract from three to get two?

So 0.999... and 1 are different as real numbers because they are different as sequences of digits?

The definition does not say that DIFFERENT digit sequences are DIFFERENT reals; only that digit sequences ARE reals. It seems to me that this definition is equivalent to the limit of sequence of rationals.

No, this definition is a lot more like defining a real to be a cauchy sequence of rationals. You need to have precise, correct definitions, otherwise when students get confused you have no one to blame but yourself.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

parallax

Postby parallax » Tue May 15, 2007 7:54 pm UTC

You can define the reals as infinite decimal expansions if you exclude numbers that end in all 9s.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue May 15, 2007 8:16 pm UTC

Or, alternatively, as infinite, nonterminating expansions (that don't end in all zeros). It doesn't really matter which one you pick, just as long as you exclude one or the other.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue May 15, 2007 8:19 pm UTC

And what if I want to exclude all of the numbers that end in all 3s?

Buncha 9 and 0 haters.

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed May 16, 2007 12:40 am UTC

Then you will become an outcast in the mathematical community and will have to beg for bread on the street.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed May 16, 2007 1:23 am UTC

Yakk wrote:And what if I want to exclude all of the numbers that end in all 3s?

Buncha 9 and 0 haters.

You working in base 4? If so, go right ahead and drop the ones that end in all 3's.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Wed May 16, 2007 1:37 am UTC

.9 repeating and 1 belong the same equivalence partition.

QED

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.

n3k5

Postby n3k5 » Wed May 16, 2007 3:25 pm UTC

TheLordOfPhysics wrote:if you can physically represent it it is real. like 1 being i have one bradpeice, two bradpeices and so on and so forth because i can physiclly represent it. were as negatives are representations of debt and owning "bradpeices's" if you will.

Hmm ... there is no such thing as pi breadpieces (even if you define a breadpiece to have some exact mass). So pi is not a "real" number?

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Wed May 16, 2007 4:01 pm UTC

n3k5 wrote:So pi is not a "real" number?

You have to be careful on what you think is real. Your definition of real does not fit in with mathematics definition. It's like this in all fields, scientific or not.

Pi is a real number. It's hard to define what a real number is; however, easier to define what a real number isn't.

It's like telling your friends what the perfect wife is... you know she won't be a complete... Well, you get the idea.

n3k5

Postby n3k5 » Wed May 16, 2007 4:32 pm UTC

EradicateIV wrote:You have to be careful on what you think is real.

No I don't, I was talking about the definition of "real" in the original post. (Whatever that is *g* ... but that's the topic.)

Your definition of real does not fit in with mathematics definition.

I understand the mathematical definition, but I assumed it has already been agreen on here that that's not what we're talking about here. (N.B. I wrote ""real"", not "real".) I've said nothing about any other definition of my own, so any statements about that are meaningless ;-p

But seriously, I found the explanation of TheLordOfPhysics a bit incomplete, so I asked for a clarification. Not because I need to learn anything about real or "real" numbers, but just for the heck of it, to see what TheLordOfPhysics was getting at.

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Wed May 16, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

I wasn't getting smart, just saying...

Let's not be irrational now.

parallax

Postby parallax » Wed May 16, 2007 8:45 pm UTC

A "real" number is simply any number that's useful to think about. This probably includes all the integers and rationals, as well as all the algebraic numbers. By necessity, it would also include pi and e, and any other transcendental numbers that play a specific role in mathematics. You could probably get away with a contructionist definition such as "A "real" number is any number that can be defined by a finite statement."

stormgren

Postby stormgren » Wed May 16, 2007 11:16 pm UTC

You could probably get away with a contructionist definition such as "A "real" number is any number that can be defined by a finite statement."

sqrt(-1)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu May 17, 2007 1:25 am UTC

stormgren wrote:sqrt(-1)

Read back a few posts. We're talking about "real" numbers, not the set R of real numbers.

Besides, most of R can't be described finitely.
---

(he/him/his)

OneTrue

Postby OneTrue » Fri May 18, 2007 7:42 am UTC

parallax wrote:A "real" number is simply any number that's useful to think about. This probably includes all the integers and rationals, as well as all the algebraic numbers. By necessity, it would also include pi and e, and any other transcendental numbers that play a specific role in mathematics. You could probably get away with a contructionist definition such as "A "real" number is any number that can be defined by a finite statement."

You might like Computable Numbers.

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Fri May 18, 2007 8:13 am UTC

OneTrue wrote:
parallax wrote:A "real" number is simply any number that's useful to think about. This probably includes all the integers and rationals, as well as all the algebraic numbers. By necessity, it would also include pi and e, and any other transcendental numbers that play a specific role in mathematics. You could probably get away with a contructionist definition such as "A "real" number is any number that can be defined by a finite statement."

You might like Computable Numbers.

Closer to his intention would probably be definable numbers.

Return to “Mathematics”