Wish I had seen/understood this comic sooner...

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

cethis

Wish I had seen/understood this comic sooner...

Postby cethis » Thu May 27, 2010 2:54 am UTC

Sorry it's a lot late, but I felt like you guys would be the only ones that would really appreciate it with me.

LakatosIstvan

Re: Wish I had seen/understood this comic sooner...

Postby LakatosIstvan » Thu May 27, 2010 4:58 am UTC

I know I should get this, but I don't :P Care to explain?
Sir_Elderberry wrote:Cords are not just bendy cylinders. They are flexible, animate beings possessed by spirits whose intentions are beyond our ken. They are Cthulu's tentacles intruding on our reality.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Thu May 27, 2010 5:24 am UTC

LakatosIstvan wrote:I know I should get this, but I don't :P Care to explain?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_west#Controversies

It's the last paragraph.

LakatosIstvan

Postby LakatosIstvan » Thu May 27, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

Lol, I get thaty part :)) I just don't get the e and pi part. Why would the integration sign say that?
Sir_Elderberry wrote:Cords are not just bendy cylinders. They are flexible, animate beings possessed by spirits whose intentions are beyond our ken. They are Cthulu's tentacles intruding on our reality.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Thu May 27, 2010 12:17 pm UTC

I'd suggest that e has the best continued fraction of all transcendental numbers, but that doesn't tie back to a rude integration symbol either.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu May 27, 2010 2:28 pm UTC

There are two very famous irrational numbers, e and pi. The integral sign is expressing a preference. Fin.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu May 27, 2010 3:43 pm UTC

And given how e works with differentiation, it actually makes quite a lot of sense that the integral would prefer it over other numbers.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

cethis

Postby cethis » Thu May 27, 2010 4:36 pm UTC

I know I should get this, but I don't :P Care to explain?

This:

There are two very famous irrational numbers, e and pi. The integral sign is expressing a preference. Fin.

Coupled with Kanye West at the 2009 VMA's. I happened to tune in just before he got up on stage, so I was aware of the meme, but this comic just makes it so much better.

LakatosIstvan

Postby LakatosIstvan » Thu May 27, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:And given how e works with differentiation, it actually makes quite a lot of sense that the integral would prefer it over other numbers.

e isn't at all special when it comes to differentiation :P The function e to the power of x , however, is. e gets zeroed out like the rest of the constants :P

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu May 27, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

LakatosIstvan wrote:e isn't at all special when it comes to differentiation. The function e to the power of x , however, is.
Right. The function e^x is special, compared to c^x for (almost) any other value of c. Which means e is special.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

pizzazz

Postby pizzazz » Thu May 27, 2010 6:11 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
LakatosIstvan wrote:e isn't at all special when it comes to differentiation. The function e to the power of x , however, is.
Right. The function e^x is special, compared to c^x for (almost) any other value of c. Which means e is special.

The log function with base e (natural log or ln) is similarly special.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Thu May 27, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

Also consider that e is often used in formulas connected to time. All time.

Pi is cool, but ultimately that's because of it's relationship to e. :)

LakatosIstvan

Postby LakatosIstvan » Thu May 27, 2010 7:30 pm UTC

Meh. If we're talking about constants, then I'd vote for the golden ratio :P Nothing beats a number which mixes math with art to the deepest levels :P

NathanielJ

Postby NathanielJ » Thu May 27, 2010 7:48 pm UTC

LakatosIstvan wrote:Meh. If we're talking about constants, then I'd vote for the golden ratio :P Nothing beats a number which mixes math with art to the deepest levels :P

In other words a number that popular culture has latched onto and abused into a pseudo-scientific load of crap. Any time someone tells you that the ratio of the length of a human arm to the length of a human forearm is the golden ratio (or anything else along those lines), hit them for me.
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com

LakatosIstvan

Postby LakatosIstvan » Thu May 27, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

NathanielJ wrote:
LakatosIstvan wrote:Meh. If we're talking about constants, then I'd vote for the golden ratio :P Nothing beats a number which mixes math with art to the deepest levels :P

In other words a number that popular culture has latched onto and abused into a pseudo-scientific load of crap. Any time someone tells you that the ratio of the length of a human arm to the length of a human forearm is the golden ratio (or anything else along those lines), hit them for me.

I'm way ahead of you :P I'm lucky enough to live in a city in which people are so ignorant about math and science, that even pseudo-scientific bullsh*t barely get noticed. Some people just found out about The Secret :P Guess who learned a little about randomness, quantum physics, and growing up. I especially enjoy attacking people from whom I hear all kinds of stupid facts about the human body, like the we-only-use-10%-of-our-brain myth, that golden ratio thing, etc...

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Thu May 27, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:Also consider that e is often used in formulas connected to time. All time.
Indeed, or at least with the integration variable t, which is loosely referred to as "time" no matter what it really represents, and in particular, it's often used in integrals with one or both endpoints at infinity, such as the Laplace transform [math]\mathcal{L}\{f(t)\}(s)=\int^{\infty}_{0}f(x)e^{-st}dt[/math]
...and the Fourier transform
[math]\hat{f}(\omega) = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} f(t)\ e^{- i \omega t }\,dt,[/math]
In other words, e is used when integrating... ...over ALL TIME!

That being said, I'm doubt it was meant to be interpreted that way: It's more likely that somebody just took a generic joke and ad-lib:ed in some "nerdy" stuff that they'd heard of but really knew little of. Y'know, kind of like every line of every episode of The Big Bang Theory.*

Also, it would have been interesting to see him let π finish :P

*I'll admit: I went out of my way to insult The Big Bang Theory, here. Whatcha gonna do about it? choghIjlaHbe'!
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

cethis

Postby cethis » Thu May 27, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

LakatosIstvan wrote:I hear all kinds of stupid facts about the human body, like the we-only-use-10%-of-our-brain myth

As a biology major, I do often wish a swift and violent death to the peddlers of this absurd notion.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri May 28, 2010 2:37 am UTC

cethis wrote:
LakatosIstvan wrote:I hear all kinds of stupid facts about the human body, like the we-only-use-10%-of-our-brain myth

As a biology major, I do often wish a swift and violent death to the peddlers of this absurd notion.
You can't really blame the people peddling it. If they were using more than 10% of their brains, they'd know better.

xepher

Postby xepher » Fri May 28, 2010 12:15 pm UTC

oh dear god that sounds like me. When people talk about 3.1415... I almost always pipe up and say "I prefer e."
Of course, then they think that I'm making a pie joke.

Dason

Postby Dason » Fri May 28, 2010 1:09 pm UTC

xepher wrote:oh dear god that sounds like me. When people talk about 3.1415... I almost always pipe up and say "I prefer e."
Of course, then they think that I'm making a pie joke.

Why would they think that? Nobody should ever joke about delicious delicious pie. MMMMMMMGURGLEMMMM.

I'm a fan of [imath]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/imath] myself.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri May 28, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

Dason wrote:I'm a fan of [imath]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/imath] myself.

That rings a bell...

NathanielJ

Postby NathanielJ » Fri May 28, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

Dason wrote:I'm a fan of [imath]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/imath] myself.

He's a statistician! GET HIM!
Homepage: http://www.njohnston.ca
Conway's Game of Life: http://www.conwaylife.com

DavCrav

Postby DavCrav » Sat May 29, 2010 11:03 am UTC

May I be the first to say that's a rubbish comic/joke.

That is all.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Sat May 29, 2010 1:00 pm UTC

DavCrav wrote:May I be the first to say that's a rubbish comic/joke.

Indeed. Not funny, and the art is hardly redeeming.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

the tree

Postby the tree » Sat May 29, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

cethis wrote:

I wonder where it came from. Presumably it either came from an innocent misunderstanding like the areas of the tongue thing or it was used to peddle some sort of snake oil.
Cleverbeans wrote:
DavCrav wrote:May I be the first to say that's a rubbish comic/joke.
Indeed. Not funny, and the art is hardly redeeming.
This is the important thing.

LakatosIstvan

Postby LakatosIstvan » Sat May 29, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

the tree wrote:
cethis wrote:

I wonder where it came from. Presumably it either came from an innocent misunderstanding like the areas of the tongue thing or it was used to peddle some sort of snake oil.

I guess it had to do with the self-help industry's "unlocked potential" marketing plan. I guess they went with the idea of choosing a percentage of the brain, which wasn't too small, nor too large, and seed it and let it spread :P I also heard this myth combined with Einstein's brain, saying that the reason why Einstein was so smart was because he used a larger percentage of his brain :P. By the way, could anyone confirm this idea that Einstein's brain is larger that the average humans? I know a part of his brain is 15% wider than usual, but from what I read there are parts of the normal brain which are missing or are truncated.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat May 29, 2010 6:03 pm UTC

the tree wrote:
cethis wrote:

Wikipedia knows all and sees all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10%25_of_brain_myth
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

modularblues

Postby modularblues » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:01 am UTC

LakatosIstvan

Postby LakatosIstvan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

Now that's a funny comic :P At a certain moment a pair of square brackets should come in and say "Guys ,let's get together as a whole and leave our cares floating behind. I heard Euler is throwing a party at the Aleph-Null-Drink bar."

Mavrisa

Postby Mavrisa » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:58 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:Wikipedia knows all and sees all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10%25_of_brain_myth

I was going to post a link to this page. Yours has more detail though, so I wasn't going to (it is really quite a good article). One that caught my eye was:

Wikipedia wrote:A popular myth regarding human sexuality is that men think about sex every seven seconds. In reality, there is no scientific way of measuring such a thing and as best researchers can tell, seven seconds seems like a gross overstatement.

I can just imagine a bunch of researchers standing around awkwardly, asking each other, "do... do you?"
"I think nature's imagination is so much greater than man's, she's never gonna let us relax."

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:04 pm UTC

Mavrisa wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:A popular myth regarding human sexuality is that men think about sex every seven seconds. In reality, there is no scientific way of measuring such a thing and as best researchers can tell, seven seconds seems like a gross overstatement.

I can just imagine a bunch of researchers standing around awkwardly, asking each other, "do... do you?"
An overstatement in what sense? I'm guessing that they mean that 1/7 [s-1] (or 1/7 [Bq], as I like to put it, much to the frustration of those around me) is an unrealistically high frequency, but it's easy to interpret is as though it's and unrealistically high period ("It's actually more like once every half second. Also: Boobs!").
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

supremum

Postby supremum » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

That be rational/get real comic has always been a pet peeve of mine. i isn't a rational number.

Talith
Proved the Goldbach Conjecture

Postby Talith » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

supremum wrote:That be rational/get real comic has always been a pet peeve of mine. i isn't a rational number.
Why does it have to be?

the tree

Postby the tree » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:04 pm UTC

Talith wrote:
supremum wrote:That be rational/get real comic has always been a pet peeve of mine. i isn't a rational number.
Why does it have to be?
i is being the pot to pi's kettle - so it kind of doesn't make sense.

Talith
Proved the Goldbach Conjecture

Postby Talith » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

the tree wrote:
Talith wrote:
Why does it have to be?
i is being the pot to pi's kettle - so it kind of doesn't make sense.

It hardly detracts from the joke. Being peeved by the morals of the joke seems a bit prudish. The fact is, i is the first number you're introduced to which isn't a real number, pi is one of the first irrational numbers you're introduced to and both are seen as the standard numbers not in the specific subset of their respective sets (some might choose sqrt(2) for the irrational number but hey 'be algebraic' doesn't have as much of a ring to it).

the tree

Postby the tree » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

It's just that it's automatically irking, you first read 'be rational' and then before you've read 'get real' you've already starting thinking 'wait, what?'

Token

Postby Token » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

Just mentally insert the word "Gaussian".
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

Return to “Mathematics”