So I tried...

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

yuyuyami
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:16 pm UTC

So I tried...

Postby yuyuyami » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:09 pm UTC

I tried to take the derivative of:

Y=O*P*T*I*M*U*S

But the multiplication and chain rules started making it giant. I finished it, but then when I tried to multiply it all together, I realized: Finding (OPTIMUS)' just isn't worth it.

User avatar
Talith
Proved the Goldbach Conjecture
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:28 am UTC
Location: Manchester - UK

Re: So I tried...

Postby Talith » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:59 pm UTC

We have a maths joke thread.

yuyuyami
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:16 pm UTC

Re: So I tried...

Postby yuyuyami » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

Oh shit, forgot about that.

Could a moderator move this, then?

User avatar
Sizik
Posts: 1243
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Re: So I tried...

Postby Sizik » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:41 pm UTC

It's not really that hard.
(OPTIMUS)' = O'PTIMUS + O(PTIMUS)'

Iterating out, you get the following:
(OPTIMUS)' = O'PTIMUS + OP'TIMUS + OPT'IMUS + OPTI'MUS + OPTIM'US + OPTIMU'S + OPTIMUS'
i.e. as many terms as factors, and each term has one factor get derivatified differentiated.

[/nosenseofhumor]
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

User avatar
lu6cifer
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:03 am UTC
Location: That state with the all-important stone

Re: So I tried...

Postby lu6cifer » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:04 am UTC

If you found it too unwieldy, you probably should have tried logarithmic differentiation ;)
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

yuyuyami
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:16 pm UTC

Re: So I tried...

Postby yuyuyami » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:58 am UTC

Sizik wrote:It's not really that hard.
(OPTIMUS)' = O'PTIMUS + O(PTIMUS)'

Iterating out, you get the following:
(OPTIMUS)' = O'PTIMUS + OP'TIMUS + OPT'IMUS + OPTI'MUS + OPTIM'US + OPTIMU'S + OPTIMUS'
i.e. as many terms as factors, and each term has one factor get derivatified differentiated.

[/nosenseofhumor]


Wouldn't it be closer to:

Y'=(O'*PTIMUS+(P'*TIMUS+(T'*IMUS+(I'*MUS+(M'*US+(U'*S+S'*U)*M)*I)*T)*P)*O)*(P'*TIMUS+(T'*IMUS+(I'*MUS+(M'*US+(U'*S+S'*U)*M)*I)*T)*P)*(T'*IMUS+(I'*MUS+(M'*US+(U'*S+S'*U)*M)*I)*T)*(I'*MUS+(M'*US+(U'*S+S'*U)*M)*I)*(M'*US+(U'*S+S'*U)*M)*(U'*S+S'*U)

?

Because you still need to take the derivative of the second term when doing the multiplication rule.

User avatar
Sizik
Posts: 1243
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Re: So I tried...

Postby Sizik » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:17 am UTC

yuyuyami wrote:
Wouldn't it be closer to:

Y'=(O'*PTIMUS+(P'*TIMUS+(T'*IMUS+(I'*MUS+(M'*US+(U'*S+S'*U)*M)*I)*T)*P)*O)*(P'*TIMUS+(T'*IMUS+(I'*MUS+(M'*US+(U'*S+S'*U)*M)*I)*T)*P)*(T'*IMUS+(I'*MUS+(M'*US+(U'*S+S'*U)*M)*I)*T)*(I'*MUS+(M'*US+(U'*S+S'*U)*M)*I)*(M'*US+(U'*S+S'*U)*M)*(U'*S+S'*U)

?

Because you still need to take the derivative of the second term when doing the multiplication rule.


(uv)' = u'v + uv', not (u'v + uv')v', or whatever seems to be going on there. The chain rule doesn't apply for multiplication.

Step by step:
Y' = (OPTIMUS)'
Y' = O'PTIMUS + O(PTIMUS)'
Y' = O'PTIMUS + O(P'TIMUS + P(TIMUS)' )
Y' = O'PTIMUS + O(P'TIMUS + P(T'IMUS + T(IMUS)' ))
Y' = O'PTIMUS + O(P'TIMUS + P(T'IMUS + T(I'MUS + I(MUS)' )))
Y' = O'PTIMUS + O(P'TIMUS + P(T'IMUS + T(I'MUS + I(M'US + M(US)' ))))
Y' = O'PTIMUS + O(P'TIMUS + P(T'IMUS + T(I'MUS + I(M'US + M(U'S + US' )))))
Y' = O'PTIMUS + O(P'TIMUS + P(T'IMUS + T(I'MUS + I(M'US + MU'S + MUS' ))))
Y' = O'PTIMUS + O(P'TIMUS + P(T'IMUS + T(I'MUS + IM'US + IMU'S + IMUS' )))
Y' = O'PTIMUS + O(P'TIMUS + P(T'IMUS + TI'MUS + TIM'US + TIMU'S + TIMUS' ))
Y' = O'PTIMUS + O(P'TIMUS + PT'IMUS + PTI'MUS + PTIM'US + PTIMU'S + PTIMUS' )
Y' = O'PTIMUS + OP'TIMUS + OPT'IMUS + OPTI'MUS + OPTIM'US + OPTIMU'S + OPTIMUS'
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.


Return to “Mathematics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests