Square roots and such

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

mcmesher

Square roots and such

Postby mcmesher » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:54 am UTC

Is there any proof that the square (or cube etc) roots of numbers that don't have integer square (or cube etc) roots are irrational?
Math is the coolest sport.

mdyrud

Re: Square roots and such

Postby mdyrud » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Nope, because that isn't true. sqrt(9/4)=3/2.
Aside from that type of case, I think I have seen a proof, but I can't think of it now. If the numerator and denominator are not perfect squares, it will be irrational.

mcmesher

Postby mcmesher » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:11 am UTC

Thanks for clarifying. I think I meant "square (or cube etc) roots of integers", but it would extend to fractions with perfect square/cube/etc numerators ad denominators. Positive, of course.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:14 am UTC

It is true that "if n is an integer and not a perfect square, then [imath]\sqrt{n}[/imath] is irrational." To prove it, have a good look at the proof for [imath]\sqrt{2}[/imath] and carefully generlise it.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

mcmesher

Postby mcmesher » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:35 am UTC

As it turns out, I am not familiar with such a proof. I am only a freshman in high school, so I not had much opportunity to encounter higher math.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:48 am UTC

Fair enough. Any of the first three proofs here should be pretty easily generalisable.

However, you might want to try writing a proof that the square root of 2 is irrational by yourself first, then see how yours looks compared to the other proofs, just to try getting a start with proving things, a skill that will come in handy if you pursue further study in maths later.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

mdyrud

Postby mdyrud » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:03 am UTC

Definitely try and prove it yourself. It is a pretty nifty proof.
Hint:
Spoiler:
Go for proof by contradiction. Assume that the square root of two is rational. See if stuff explodes.

WhiteRAZOR

Postby WhiteRAZOR » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:08 am UTC

It's something you might encounter in first year mathematics in university. You're thinking ahead!

I found it pretty cool... especially at the end where it's like "that doesn't work... all the math is right... that must mean we messed up the start! QED".

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:47 pm UTC

So, a useful results for proving this:
Unique Factorization: Let n be a positive integer. Then n = product pini (possibly an empty product, which by definition equals 1), where each pi is a unique prime and ni is a positive integer. Furthermore, this entire product is unique up to reordering.

Basically, this says that any positive integer can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

polymer

Postby polymer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:28 am UTC

Another fun thm is the rational roots test. It isn't difficult to prove the root of primes are irrational using it.

Spoiler:
Thm: Consider the polynomial [imath]a_nx^n+a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + \ldots+ a_1x + a_{0} = 0[/imath] with [imath]a_{n} \neq 0[/imath] and [imath]a_i \in \mathbf{Z}[/imath] for all i. If there exists a rational root [imath]r = \frac{p}{q} \ p,q \in \mathbf{Z}[/imath] with no common factors, then [imath]p[/imath] divides [imath]a_0[/imath] and [imath]q[/imath] divides [imath]a_n[/imath].

Proof: p divides [imath]a_0[/imath].
[math]\begin{eqnarray}
0 &=& a_nx^n+a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + \ldots + a_1x+a_{0}\\

0 &=&a_n\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^n+a_{n-1}\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^{n-1} + \ldots + a_{1}\left(\frac{p}{q}\right) + a_{0} \\

0 &=& a_np^n+a_{n-1}qp^{n-1} + \ldots + a_{1}q^{n-1}p + a_{0}q^n \\

-a_{0}q^n &=& p\left(a_np^{n-1}+a_{n-1}qp^{n-2} + \ldots + a_{1}q^{n-1}\right) \\

\text{p} &\text{ is }& \text{a factor of }a_0q^n \text{, and p and q have no common factors; therefore, p is a factor of }a_0\text{.}\\
&&\text{This is just the definition of divides, so p divides }a_0\text{.}
\end{eqnarray}[/math]

You might try and see if you can prove the second half of the statement. The theorem is very useful for testing whether basic polynomials like [imath]x^2 - 2 = 0[/imath] have rational solutions.
Last edited by polymer on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:44 pm UTC, edited 11 times in total.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:01 am UTC

polymer wrote:Another fun thm is the rational roots test. It isn't difficult to prove primes are irrational using it.

Spoiler:
Thm: Consider the polynomial [imath]a_nx^n+a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + \ldots+ a_1x + a_{0} = 0[/imath] with [imath]a_{n} \neq 0[/imath] and [imath]a_i \in \mathbf{Z}[/imath] for all i. If there exists a rational root [imath]r = \frac{p}{q} \ p,q \in \mathbf{Z}[/imath] with no common factors, then [imath]p[/imath] divides [imath]a_0[/imath] and [imath]q[/imath] divides [imath]a_n[/imath].

Proof: p divides [imath]a_0[/imath].
[math]\begin{eqnarray}
a_nx^n+a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + \ldots + a_1x+a_{0} &=& 0\\

a_n\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^n+a_{n-1}\left(\frac{p}{q}\right)^{n-1} + \ldots + a_{1}\left(\frac{p}{q}\right) + a_{0} &=& 0\\

p\left(a_n\left(\frac{p^{n-1}}{q^n}\right)+a_{n-1}\left(\frac{p^{n-2}}{q^{n-1} }\right)+ \ldots + \left(\frac{a_{1}}{q}\right)\right)&=& -a_0\\
\text{p is a factor of }a_0 \text{ therefore, p divides }a_0
\end{eqnarray}[/math]

You might try and see if you can prove the second half of the statement. The theorem is very useful for testing whether basic polynomials like [imath]x^2 - 2 = 0[/imath] have rational solutions.

You do not quite have a proof there.

Spoiler:
You have no guarantee that the thing multiplying p is an integer. You want to multiply both sides by [imath]q^n[/imath] so you have integers all around. Then it follows that p divides [imath]a_0 \cdot q^n[/imath]. But p and q are relatively prime, so p divides [imath]a_0[/imath].
wee free kings

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

polymer wrote:It isn't difficult to prove primes are irrational using it.

I assume you mean 'roots of primes'?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Entropyst

Postby Entropyst » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

You could generalize something along the lines of the square root of two is irrational, or you could turn it into a conditional statement and see what that tells us. So another way of asking the question would be to examine the conditional statement "Given that m is an integer, if m is not a perfect square, then the square root of m is irrational." From conditional statements, we know that P implies Q is logically equivalent to ~Q implies ~P. In other words, if we can show that the statement "If the square root of m is rational, then m is a perfect square" to be true, then we have proven what we want to know. This is a much easier approach in my opinion.

polymer

Postby polymer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

yea...you caught me before I corrected myself. This is why one shouldn't do math at 12:30...I'll correct it so the post isn't confusing.

Qaanol wrote:
You do not quite have a proof there.

Spoiler:
You have no guarantee that the thing multiplying p is an integer. You want to multiply both sides by [imath]q^n[/imath] so you have integers all around. Then it follows that p divides [imath]a_0 \cdot q^n[/imath]. But p and q are relatively prime, so p divides [imath]a_0[/imath].

Oops >_<, you're right my proof doesn't make sense given the definition of divides. I'll rewrite it, I was just hoping to leave one trick for the reader to try and solve.
Last edited by polymer on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mathematics”