Math REU 2011

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

math.py

Math REU 2011

Postby math.py » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

Did you apply to undergrad math summer research programs this year? What programs did you apply to? Have you heard back from any?

This is my list

Math:
* Rochester Institute of Technology
* UNC Asheville
* Oregon State
* Cornell
* Grand Valley State
* Hope College
* Bard College
* James Madison University

Comp Sci:
* Binghamton University
* UMass - Amherst
* Washington State
* Harvey Mudd
* UIUC

I got waitlisted for James Madison but haven't heard from any other programs yet.

B.Good

Re: Math REU 2011

Postby B.Good » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:18 am UTC

I applied to the math REU's for SUNY Potsdam and UNC Asheville because I am a freshman who just barely meets the requirements for being able to apply to an REU (finished calc and linear algebra, currently taking number theory) I don't have very many references and I really didn't want to bother them by having them send recommendation letters to 5 universities. Also because I am just barely eligible to apply, I realizes that my chances are quite low and I wouldn't want to get my hopes up multiple times every time I got a letter or something in the mail from the universities in question.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:36 am UTC

Oh god I missed all the deadlines.

OH GOD IT IS MY JUNIOR YEAR.

Well...that sucks. Guess I'm not doing an research during my undergrad.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

mdyrud

Postby mdyrud » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:44 am UTC

I didn't quite have the requirements for the REU's I saw, so I didn't end up applying to any. But, my college started a freshman undergraduate research program that I was selected for, so I get to spend two months this summer working on Polynomial Approximations in Applied Mathematics. Needless to say, I am rather happy.

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

Marbas wrote:Oh god I missed all the deadlines.

Ask a professor about doing a project! Anyway, yeah, I just barely managed to apply for what appeared to be among the last rounds of deadlines. Hopefully one of those still takes me. However, if you look hard, you can still find a few places that set a late deadline, so give those a shot. I should probably apply to them, as well, since not getting in to the two I did apply to isn't unlikely. :P
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:18 am UTC

If you missed the deadlines, you can still talk to professors and postdocs at your school. They will probably be happy to work with you, or suggest someone who would be. When I did this, I ended up with a publishable result and a topic for my UG thesis, so it can work out pretty well.

The downside is that you won't get paid.

mdyrud

Postby mdyrud » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:55 am UTC

You may be able to get a little money actually. My college has a fund for summer research projects, and it does happen where they end up with some extra money floating around. Maybe not much, but enough to put a dent in room and board over the summer.

math.py

Postby math.py » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:01 am UTC

B.Good wrote:I applied to the math REU's for SUNY Potsdam and UNC Asheville because I am a freshman who just barely meets the requirements for being able to apply to an REU (finished calc and linear algebra, currently taking number theory) I don't have very many references and I really didn't want to bother them by having them send recommendation letters to 5 universities. Also because I am just barely eligible to apply, I realizes that my chances are quite low and I wouldn't want to get my hopes up multiple times every time I got a letter or something in the mail from the universities in question.

Looks like we're competing for a spot at UNC Asheville!

I think those classes you have taken already cover many REUs' requirements. A lot of the stuff that you will need for REUs is presented during the program.

To overcome the feeling that I was bothering my profs by asking for so many letters, I made sure to only apply to programs with an online submission method (email, online form, etc).

It's good that you're applying so early though. A good way to increase your chances of getting into an REU is to attend a math conference and try to get to meet REU directors/coordinators.

For those of you who think it's too late to apply, there are still a couple REUs with upcoming deadlines, check out the NSF website. For example http://www2.hawaii.edu/~pure/PURE_Math/Welcome.html

girlygeek

Postby girlygeek » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

Hey guys!

I got into SMALL! If anyone else will be there this Summer let me know :)
All the best with your applications.

Oh and for the person who missed deadlines, there is still at least one: http://www.math.washington.edu/~reu/ which accepts applications till April 1st I believe!
Last edited by girlygeek on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

flansbmp

Postby flansbmp » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

I applied for

Williams SMALL (Origami) - Rejected
James Madison
Northern Arizona
Central Michigan
St. Mary's of Maryland - Rejected 3/17
Cornell's Summer Math Institute (Non-REU) - Rejected 3/15
UNC Asheville - ACCEPTED! 3/12

Just got my offer from UNC Asheville this afternoon. They gave me a few days to think it over, but I don't have any strong preferences among the programs for which I applied, so I will most likely accept on Monday. Once I got the SMALL rejection, I was pretty bummed. Then for the past two weeks, I started getting really nervous about getting an offer. Every time my email indicator changed I felt like was waiting for the last ball to pop up on a mega-millions lottery draw. I never thought I'd hear from someone on the weekend. Now I can focus my nerves on Putnam results and the talk I'm giving at the MAA Seaway Section meeting next month. :P

Good luck to everyone still waiting for responses.
Last edited by flansbmp on Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:58 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

epigrad

Postby epigrad » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:29 am UTC

Marbas wrote:Oh god I missed all the deadlines.

I'd highly suggest talking to faculty members about potentially doing a project - either in math, or in the many, many fields that can use math-types.

There's all manner of use for free labor ;)

McDutchy

Postby McDutchy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:24 am UTC

I'll be attending Penn State's REU this summer. Notable rejections included Cornell and Williams- out of respect to other programs, I will not be discussing the acceptances I passed on.

bds021

Postby bds021 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:29 pm UTC

I'm a sophomore at Bucknell University, and I think I'm reasonably qualified (won our freshman math award). I have a tendency not to put maximum effort into applications but here's what i applied to

Math:
Williams (rejected Mar 1)
St. Mary's College Maryland (rejected Mar 17)
Suny Potsdam
James Madison
UCSB
California State University Channel Islands
California State University San Bernardino
Bard College
Fairfield University
RHIT
Ursinus College
Ohio Wesleyan University

Physics:
Caltech University (rejected Mar 15)
Lehigh University

I'm still hopeful of getting something but i getting a little worried

Thoughts?

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:10 am UTC

This may be an unnecessary post, that said, it is very difficult to wait for a response from REU's. At this point, I would much rather have a response from the REU's I applied to that stated that I did not get in just so I can stop thinking about it and, as flansbmp put it, feel like I was waiting for the last ball to pop up on a mega-millions lottery draw. I know I said I realized my odds of getting into an REU are slim (I still acknowledge that) and I think at this point, the time period at which the UNC Asheville program said they would notify successful applicants had passed a week ago, I think, but I guess it's irrational wishful thinking that says maybe something will show up.

If this seems like something that should belong in the rant/disappointment thread, consider it a bump so others could post any updates about the REU's they applied to.
Last edited by B.Good on Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

B.Good

Postby B.Good » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Update generally regarding the REU for UNC Asheville and SUNY Potsdam for those interested (I called the organizers for both of those REU's):

UNC Asheville has chosen its participants and alternates and has sent out emails.

SUNY Potsdam has chosen its participants and will send out emails soon.

As I suspected, I didn't get into either of them. No surprise, I had a lot of competition and I couldn't really stand out. Next year though, when I take abstract and upper level linear algebra, and two semesters of analysis, I think I will have a better shot. I'm sorry for being a bit too active in this thread if you found it annoying.
Last edited by B.Good on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

peanutdustbomb

Postby peanutdustbomb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:27 am UTC

I've accepted an invitation at James Madison University.

Exciting stuff. :)

Return to “Mathematics”