What will I be expected to know?

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

What will I be expected to know?

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:41 am UTC

In the fall I will be taking "Calculus and Analytical Geometry I," as I return to school to be a CS major.

I last took precalculus in the fall of 2003 (though before that I had actually taken a calculus class, expecting without any real reasons that my high school education had perhaps been insufficient in mathematics), and don't know how much I forgot, and how much I never knew. What will I probably be expected to know? There is all summer to catch back up, with the vast hours of the (for now) unemployed, and I do have the uni library, and of course the internet, at hand. I really don't want to be the one dragging behind the class, so your help and suggestions will be appreciated.

mark999

Re: What will I be expected to know?

Postby mark999 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:01 am UTC

I don't know what you'll be expected to know, but I think it's important for you to be confident with basic algebraic manipulations, like putting things over a common denominator, using the distributive law, solving quadratics, etc. Also, it would be good to be familiar with the exponential and logarithmic functions.

Yesila

Postby Yesila » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:53 am UTC

mark999 wrote:I don't know what you'll be expected to know, but I think it's important for you to be confident with basic algebraic manipulations, like putting things over a common denominator, using the distributive law, solving quadratics, etc. Also, it would be good to be familiar with the exponential and logarithmic functions.

Also know your trig functions and some of their identities.

skullturf

Postby skullturf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:52 am UTC

Yesila wrote:Also know your trig functions and some of their identities.

ESPECIALLY the definitions of all trig functions, and the Pythagorean identities.

Other identities can be useful too, but the above are the really truly important ones.

Return to “Mathematics”