MATHEMATICS-$1M-REVISION

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

kumarevo

MATHEMATICS-$1M-REVISION

Postby kumarevo » Tue May 17, 2011 11:14 am UTC

ss1.png

Tasks:
a) describe the number (a, b, c in the picture)
b) Find an operation (?) between a and b

a?b=c

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: MATHEMATICS-$1M-REVISION

Postby gmalivuk » Tue May 17, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

What does this have to do with $1M?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue May 17, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:What does this have to do with mathematics?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue May 17, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

Good point. I might move it to logic puzzles, but only after the OP explains what the hell this is about anyway. Absent that, I'm just going to lock it.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

kumarevo

Postby kumarevo » Wed May 18, 2011 6:44 am UTC

I set a task that can not be solved with current knowledge of mathematics, the reason is simple math based on the current lot of axioms, these axioms are barriers to new discoveries in mathematics.

If you want to introduce you my view of mathematics. It consists of two axioms (natural, real) and space. As compiled by elements of the Euclid, I want to show that mathematics can solve all the problems that current mathematics can not be resolved

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed May 18, 2011 7:29 am UTC

kumarevo wrote:I set a task that can not be solved with current knowledge of mathematics, the reason is simple math based on the current lot of axioms, these axioms are barriers to new discoveries in mathematics.

Which axioms are you talking about?
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Screature

Postby Screature » Wed May 18, 2011 7:47 am UTC

$1M is referring to the "Million Dollar Question" ?

*Shrug* I know little of maths so that's about as helpful as I can be in this thread!
FaiDites who have made me say "Ew" : Mumpy, pseudoidiot, Sungura

Fractal_Tangent wrote:Well now we all know that we can make Screature dance for piss. This has been a most educational day.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed May 18, 2011 7:49 am UTC

"?" looks like it might be union.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 18, 2011 8:00 am UTC

My Time Cube sense is tingling. Nonetheless, I'll have a stab at it.

Taking a, b, and c to mean the pattern of circle segments above them. Well my first throught was that the ? operator is simply "OR", but that doesn't really work for the bottom segment of c which is longer than it should be if the ? really is OR. As for representing those patterns with a single number, surely that can't be done? I could encode each one as a vector I suppose.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed May 18, 2011 8:31 am UTC

OK, so if I'm understanding you right, you've given us three unconventional values:
Spoiler:
a.png
a.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
b.png
b.png (1.47 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
c.png
c.png (1.93 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
and a binary operator on these values, represented by the question mark. You've then asked us to describe those three values, and define an operator which fits for the ?.

Given that information alone, I choose to describe those three values as being from a new number system which I'll describe here. From all the evidence provided so far, there is nothing to indicate that the number system contains any numbers other than these three provided... so the system contains only those three numbers. The binary operator I will define as follows:
Spoiler:
Image?Image=Image
Image?Image=Image **
Image?Image=Image
Image?Image=Image
Image?Image=Image
Image?Image=Image
Image?Image=Image
Image?Image=Image
Image?Image=Image
(The row with the stars is the one prescribed by the OP). As a bonus, I'll also define a second binary operator, which I'll call ¿, as follows:
Spoiler:
Image¿Image=Image
Image¿Image=Image
Image¿Image=Image
Image¿Image=Image
Image¿Image=Image
Image¿Image=Image
Image¿Image=Image
Image¿Image=Image
Image¿Image=Image

Completely by coincidence, this set, with the operations ? and ¿, forms a field, which is kinda handy. Any resemblance to Z/3 is purely coincidental.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

TheGrammarBolshevik
Location: Going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it.

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Wed May 18, 2011 11:35 am UTC

a is 1, b is 2, c is 3, and ? is goddamn addition. When can I get my million?
Nothing rhymes with orange,
Not even sporange.

sjorford

Postby sjorford » Wed May 18, 2011 12:18 pm UTC

A quick Google shows this is not the first time this has been posted, and nobody else can make head or tail of it either.

Dopefish

Postby Dopefish » Wed May 18, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

Exploring some of the assorted posts on other forums by this guy, I think he's got it into his head that by some witchcraft that comes from a single mathematical axiom he can represent all real numbers as fractions.

Given the attempts by others on other forums, I don't think theres any saving him.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Wed May 18, 2011 3:09 pm UTC

kumarevo wrote:I set a task that can not be solved with current knowledge of mathematics, the reason is simple math based on the current lot of axioms, these axioms are barriers to new discoveries in mathematics.

If you want to introduce you my view of mathematics. It consists of two axioms (natural, real) and space. As compiled by elements of the Euclid, I want to show that mathematics can solve all the problems that current mathematics can not be resolved

So if you want to introduce us to your two axioms, do it. This is the math forum, not a puzzle forum. Frankly, I'm skeptical that reading your mind should count as a logic problem, but I'll leave that up to the mods to decide.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:41 am UTC

kumarevo wrote:If you want to introduce you my view of mathematics. It consists of two axioms (natural, real) and space. As compiled by elements of the Euclid, I want to show that mathematics can solve all the problems that current mathematics can not be resolved
Clearly someone has not read Godel. Unless, the system you are going to propose is so weak that it does not run into the incompleteness theorems......

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Thu May 19, 2011 3:28 am UTC

If you take black as 1 and white as 0, with the bottom right of the circle being the least significant bit, a = 1100110011 (819), b = 101111000011 (3011), and c = 1011110110111 (6071). c is obtained by rotating b counterclockwise 1 "bit", and ORing the result with a, so a ? b = a OR (2*b).
she/they
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

kumarevo

Postby kumarevo » Thu May 19, 2011 7:34 am UTC

$1M - advertisements to read the question

solution in the number of derivative (N, Z, R) rather than binary operators

Natural axiom: Natural along. Point is the beginning (end) longer natural. Natural along with 2 points. Natural along the base length. Natural longer connecting points. There is always the first point (A).
MS.A-Natural along . Point .

ss2.png
ss2.png (7.48 KiB) Viewed 4017 times

Will use the tags as the current math, the new things I will bring in your tags.
Tags: Capital letters of the alphabet points. Lowercase letters of the alphabet. and ().,
Tag (A) is always present, mark (W) are used all the letters except (A).
Cw-labels for cycles (finite, infinite). w-any letter of the alphabet starting with a. The cycle is the process of proving theorems.

The next time the first theorem of - basics links

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Thu May 19, 2011 7:58 am UTC

kumarevo wrote:Natural axiom: Natural along. Point is the beginning (end) longer natural. Natural along with 2 points. Natural along the base length. Natural longer connecting points. There is always the first point (A).

If you want to be comprehensible, you need to define any terms that are meant to carry a specific mathematical meaning (as opposed to the plain english language meanings). What is "natural along"? None of this reads like English, at all. I'm assuming English is not your first language, but even still, your other two posts were vastly more understandable than this one, so it's not just a matter of facility with English.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu May 19, 2011 9:15 am UTC

Mornington Crescent in 4
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu May 19, 2011 9:49 am UTC

I like Sizic's solution, especially given how badly the question was asked. I didn't notice you had to rotate b a little bit before ORing it with a.

kumarevo wrote:$1M - advertisements to read the question

solution in the number of derivative (N, Z, R) rather than binary operators

Natural axiom: Natural along. Point is the beginning (end) longer natural. Natural along with 2 points. Natural along the base length. Natural longer connecting points. There is always the first point (A).

ss2.png

Will use the tags as the current math, the new things I will bring in your tags.
Tags: Capital letters of the alphabet points. Lowercase letters of the alphabet. and ().,
Tag (A) is always present, mark (W) are used all the letters except (A).
Cw-labels for cycles (finite, infinite). w-any letter of the alphabet starting with a. The cycle is the process of proving theorems.

The next time the first theorem of - basics links

Theorem: kumarevo is cross because someone managed to glean some meaning out of his previous posts, and is determined to make no sense.
Proof: The above.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu May 19, 2011 9:56 am UTC

Someone walks in, utters complete gibberish, people solve the problem and give the answer. Kudos.

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Thu May 19, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

Where do these... inspired people come from? And how do they find this forum? <_<
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

mdyrud

Postby mdyrud » Thu May 19, 2011 6:19 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:Someone walks in, utters complete gibberish, people solve the problem and give the answer. Kudos.

And this is why I love the xkcd community. No matter what the question, someone will give the answer.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu May 19, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Mornington Crescent in 4

East Dulwich
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Thu May 19, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

Kendall/MIT
Not even sporange.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu May 19, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

From Kendall Square on the 85 bus directly to Mornington Crescent
---

(he/him/his)

TheGrammarBolshevik

Postby TheGrammarBolshevik » Thu May 19, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

Not after 5pm, you don't.
Not even sporange.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu May 19, 2011 10:56 pm UTC

I bribed the driver.
---

(he/him/his)

MartianInvader

Postby MartianInvader » Fri May 20, 2011 12:34 am UTC

Actually, if you take A and B to be subsets of the plane and "?" to be union, I'd buy that they give you "C".

Also, I'm a bit rusty, but what if I play Dollis Hill?
Let's have a fervent argument, mostly over semantics, where we all claim the burden of proof is on the other side!

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri May 20, 2011 1:09 am UTC

According to Sandheim's Theory of Nonstandard Openings (p. 203), that line allows Player 3 to equalize, so I'd recommend against it. You need to prepare Dollis Hill with a zwischenzug to Waterloo first.

D.B.

Postby D.B. » Fri May 20, 2011 6:58 am UTC

This is the best possible way that this thread could have developed. :D Bravo to you all.

Just so I can follow the gameplay, are we using Tudor Court Rules? I ask as otherwise I don't see why the zwischenzug is strictly necessary to prevent equalization (though of course helpful none the less).

++$_
Mo' Money

Postby ++$_ » Fri May 20, 2011 7:38 am UTC

I'm pretty sure Tudor Court rules are standard on the fora.

My previous post may have been unclear -- of course you don't need to play Waterloo to prevent equalization. However, I just ran it through the most recent version of Morningtomaton, and it told me you do if you want to use a Dollis Hill continuation. Current consensus is that there are other moves which prevent equalization, the most notable of which is Ustinov's novelty from Wimbledon vs. Rest of the World 1947, but they wouldn't allow MartianInvader to continue with Dollis Hill (unless he is trying to put himself at down-on-points, of course).

EDIT: Since gmalivuk's play was invalid anyway, I'm going to just go ahead and follow Ustinov.

Marble Arch, leaving Epping in spoon.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri May 20, 2011 11:47 am UTC

++$_ wrote:EDIT: Since gmalivuk's play was invalid anyway
No, it definitely wasn't. I totally won.
---

(he/him/his)

Return to “Mathematics”