New Rule about jsMath

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

New Rule about jsMath

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

While jsMath is amazingly helpful for displaying complex formulas, it does significantly slow down page loading for a lot of people.

Therefore, please refrain from using it for things which are perfectly easy to display using plain text and other bbcode tags.

If you just want to raise something to an exponent, use [sup].
If you just want a subscript, use [sub].
If you just want to make clear what letters are variables as opposed to commentary text, make them italic or bold instead of [math]y.
These characters and strings are perfectly usable in ASCII: { } | -> <- ... ! < > != and so on.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

nehpest

Re: New Rule about jsMath

Postby nehpest » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

Is there any chance we could get a similar rule about jsMath in sigs?
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:08 am UTC

nehpest wrote:Is there any chance we could get a similar rule about jsMath in sigs?

That sounds like a good idea.

On a related note, is there any way to keep jsMath from hijacking my computer every time it needs to parse a formula? One would think it would be capable of running quietly while I load new tabs in the background without making it impossible to even scroll the page I'm currently trying to read.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

mr-mitch

Postby mr-mitch » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:52 pm UTC

By opening the options (jsMath creates a button on your window somewhere) you can force asynchronous processing. Whether or not that solves the problem, I'm not sure.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:31 am UTC

I found a way to solve the problem: use subsilver.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

ars111

Postby ars111 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

nehpest wrote:Is there any chance we could get a similar rule about jsMath in sigs?

I would also like to know this? I try to use math functions in signature but unsuccessfully.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:16 pm UTC

The desired rule is to never use math fonts in signatures, so it's good you were unsuccessful.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:30 pm UTC

Enforcement successful.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

mfb

Postby mfb » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:40 pm UTC

Did you consider MathJax? It is quick enough to handle 10-50 formulas per page without notable delays (assuming a reasonable length, don't write 10+ pages in LaTeX).

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

Not only does it render much faster, it renders prettier, in my opinion.

(MathJax, despite the misleading name, doesn't really do any AJAX. It uses HTML and CSS tricks to produce pretty, well-formatted formulas with a minimum of images. Because it's using real text, it looks better on high-dpi screens, too.)
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Return to “Mathematics”