Prime Factorization for RSA - 210 (For Charity)

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Prime Factorization for RSA - 210 (For Charity)

Postby PixieFurious » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:15 pm UTC

Hello all!

Long time reader of XKCD. I have a very strange and probably difficult question, but I figured there's no better place to seek help.

I'm participating in an International Scavenger hunt called GISHWHES (Greatest International Scavenger Hunt the World Has Ever Seen).

One of the items that's worth a significant amount of points is to find prime factorization for RSA-210. This is far outside the realm of ability of anyone on our team, obviously. I have no idea of the amount of work or expertise needed to figure this out, but I come to you all on bended knee begging for help. This scavenger hunt has thousands of participants, all of whom have paid money to be a part of it, and MOST GOES TO CHARITY. So you'd be supporting a good cause!

I can't offer much in return: I'm an artist, so I can repay you with a personalized piece of art if you're interested. I'm also a musician so I could write you a short song on any topic of your choosing.

Is there anyone here that can help me with this? The only requirement is that it has to be done before November 4th. Please help my team!
PixieFurious

Re: Prime Factorization for RSA - 210 (For Charity)

Postby AMathmagician » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:41 am UTC

A quick Google shows that you're probably out of luck. According to Wikipedia, it's still unfactored, which means that it's a pretty difficult task. With the deadline coming up so soon, I think it may be an impossible task, although I could be wrong there.
AMathmagician

Re: Prime Factorization for RSA - 210 (For Charity)

Postby PixieFurious » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:19 pm UTC

Yeah, I scoured the internet looking for answers but no dice. I figured a forum of mathematicians would be a good place to start looking for help.
PixieFurious

Return to Mathematics