Why did our helium balloon get new life?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

albionmoonlight

Why did our helium balloon get new life?

Postby albionmoonlight » Mon May 20, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

My son had his birthday a few weeks ago. We had a Mylar helium Winnie the Pooh balloon attached to the mailbox. A couple of days after the party, it was hanging there--just at the point where it would fall to the ground, but very very slowly. So we took it down and started hitting it around (note: when you have a five-year-old boy and a two-year-old boy, you will use the phrase "so we . . . started hitting it around" a lot). Soon, it started to act a bit lighter, but it still was coming down, so we kept hitting it.

Then, it started to rise and kept going and going and going. And it flew away.

I am assuming that by hitting the balloon around, we gave it energy, which expanded the gas, which was enough to make it lighter than the air. However, it occurred to me that I might be wrong about that. So, I am writing here to confirm or contradict or expand/flesh out my assumption.

Thanks.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Re: Why did our helium balloon get new life?

Postby scarecrovv » Mon May 20, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

That's pretty cool! I wish you had a video of it. I think you're probably right. Every time you hit it, you increased the temperature of the gas, which increased the volume, which reduced the density, which increased the buoyancy.

p1t1o

Postby p1t1o » Tue May 21, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

If it was right on the cusp of having the same density as air, a local pressure change might have contributed to buoying it up.

Did the weather change at all near the time of the incident?

albionmoonlight

Postby albionmoonlight » Fri May 24, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

p1t1o wrote:If it was right on the cusp of having the same density as air, a local pressure change might have contributed to buoying it up.

Did the weather change at all near the time of the incident?

No. It was kind of cool and humid. The whole thing took about 10 minutes at the most, and no noticeable weather changes during that time.

tomandlu

Postby tomandlu » Sat May 25, 2013 6:59 am UTC

Slightly OT, but what I love doing with helium balloons is weighting them so they just hover indoors and then leaving them. They turn up - occasionally rather alarmingly - all over the house, drifting around like ghosts, unfazed by stairs or doorways.
How can I think my way out of the problem when the problem is the way I think?

The Geoff

Postby The Geoff » Sun May 26, 2013 3:49 pm UTC

If it was humid, is it possible water was condensing on the balloon and weighing it down, and you then batted the water off letting it rise? Just a thought.

I prefer the hitting->energy->volume idea myself, much neater and more sciency :)

eternauta3k

Postby eternauta3k » Sun May 26, 2013 4:15 pm UTC

You might have beaten off some dust, too.
VectorZero wrote:It takes a real man to impact his own radius

That's right, slash your emo-wrists and spill all your emo-globin

Return to “Science”