What's the maximum lifetime of a candle wick?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Sizik

What's the maximum lifetime of a candle wick?

Postby Sizik » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:55 pm UTC

Or: How long could a candle last if you continuously replenish the supply of melted wax?
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

stoppedcaring

Re: What's the maximum lifetime of a candle wick?

Postby stoppedcaring » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:04 pm UTC

Sizik wrote:Or: How long could a candle last if you continuously replenish the supply of melted wax?

Wicks for oil lamps last a really long time; that's basically the same thing. They're treated with chemicals to make them flame-resistant; the fibers typically don't burn.

scarecrovv
It's pronounced 'double u'

Re: What's the maximum lifetime of a candle wick?

Postby scarecrovv » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:26 am UTC

Also, though it's not exactly the same thing, you may be interested in reading about the analogous structure in propane or other gas lamps, the mantle. As far as I know, it was the last major innovation in flame based light before electricity took over. It's basically a specially treated cloth mesh bag that you put over the nozzle of a lamp. When you light it for the first time, the cloth burns in a few seconds and turns to ash, which then provides an extremely efficient surface for the gas to burn on or something (I'm not a chemist). As long as you don't touch or shake it - it's very fragile - it will last basically forever.

Return to “Science”