Science-based what-if questions

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: What happened to my duck?

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:52 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:the mutual attraction between you.

I'm hoping that's no more than a malicious rumour…

Eebster the Great

Re: Science-based what-if questions

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:03 am UTC

For a constant Hubble constant H0 (to simplify things) and distance r, your proper acceleration due to Hubble flow should be a=H02r, right?

Suppose your mass is 70 kg and your duck's mass is 1 kg. The distance at which your mutual gravitational attraction (G*(71 kg)/r^2) equals and opposes your recessional acceleration (H02r) is 3√(G*(71 kg)/H02). Using a value of H0=67 (km/s)/Mpc, this gives a distance of 1.0 × 106 km, or 2.6 times the average distance to the Moon. This surprisingly small distance makes sense given how weak the gravitational force is between you and your duck. At a distance of a million kilometers, it is a mere 4.7 × 10-27 N, equivalent to the electrostatic force between a proton and an electron 22 cm apart.

andykhang

Wave Motion Sniper Rifle

Postby andykhang » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:29 pm UTC

If you already watch Space Battleship Yamato 2199, or at least heard of this by name, you guy probably know what I was going for, but I'll explain it for those who don't:

In the remake, the Wave Motion Gun fire by compressing thing into a micro black hole, then used the Hawking Radiation that's coming out of it for destructive effect. So, assuming I want to build this in a form of a Sniper Rifle, have the same Indestructium that could reflect any type of radiation and already a way to compress and create micro black hole on a fly, how should I build it?

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:21 am UTC

Very carefully

andykhang

Postby andykhang » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:23 am UTC

Well obviously. I mean the central design. One of the advantagous of this kind of gun is that you could be really versatile about the material used as the bullet, so you could have the gun not having a magazine, instead sucking air from the surrounding, store it temporaly, and then suddenly compress them to fire.

p1t1o

Postby p1t1o » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:50 am UTC

andykhang wrote:If you already watch Space Battleship Yamato 2199, or at least heard of this by name, you guy probably know what I was going for, but I'll explain it for those who don't:

In the remake, the Wave Motion Gun fire by compressing thing into a micro black hole, then used the Hawking Radiation that's coming out of it for destructive effect. So, assuming I want to build this in a form of a Sniper Rifle, have the same Indestructium that could reflect any type of radiation and already a way to compress and create micro black hole on a fly, how should I build it?

andykhang wrote:Well obviously. I mean the central design. One of the advantagous of this kind of gun is that you could be really versatile about the material used as the bullet, so you could have the gun not having a magazine, instead sucking air from the surrounding, store it temporaly, and then suddenly compress them to fire.

Oof, talk about running before you can walk.

There is too much fantasy to give a better answer than "just build it smaller". Its super-over-the-top tech, there is no discussion about "materials" because we know it must be made with equal parts unobtanium, handwavium and indestructium. There is no discussion about design because we know that none of human knowledge can describe such a machine. Its like asking what size screws to use in a warp drive -> Any size you want.

What you describe is essentially a matter-energy-conversion-powered x-ray laser. So all you have to do is type "matter-energy-conversion-powered x-ray sniper laser" and you're done ;)

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:41 am UTC

How should I build a machine that swaps my face with my butt, assuming I have the technology to build it?

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:31 pm UTC

Oh you're gonna wanna start by cloning yourself, so that you have working swap space, and then once you're good to go, you should use lasers.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

p1t1o

Postby p1t1o » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:17 pm UTC

Pictured: the first half of the process

andykhang

Postby andykhang » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:56 pm UTC

Ohhh...then I guess I have to ask for something simpler then. Though tbh, I only need the bare requirement and all.

Return to “Science”