Polaritons, Exitons, and Phonons

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

jewish_scientist

Polaritons, Exitons, and Phonons

Postby jewish_scientist » Tue May 30, 2017 3:57 am UTC

This Sixty Symbols video talks about how light travels through a material. One model mentioned is that photons do not travel through a material, but a different particle called polaritons do. Have no idea what that was, I googled it and got this as the best answer. That lead me here and here. I do not have any one specific question about these things; just imagine you told me about these things and I responded by staring at you like a deer in the headlights. Thanks for any help understanding this stuff.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Re: Polaritons, Exitons, and Phonons

Postby Xanthir » Tue May 30, 2017 6:18 pm UTC

Phonons are the easiest to understand - in some circumstances, you can get localized sound waves that *act* similar to a particle (thus the name quasi-particle) - they'll collide with things, bounce off of each other, etc. Polaritons are just that concept, but with a photon involved - it's a wave in the EM field of some crystalline structure, rather than a wave in a liquid medium like air or water, and it acts like a quasi-particle.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Return to “Science”