Henry's law and its effect on Nitrogen in the ocean

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

The_Govenator_1

Henry's law and its effect on Nitrogen in the ocean

Postby The_Govenator_1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:48 pm UTC

I have a quick question regarding Henry's law.

This law stipulates that the solubility of a gas in liquid is directly proportional to the pressure that the particular gas exerts on said liquid.

In the case of Co2, which in the atmosphere comprises approximately 400 ppm, the equivalent value in the ocean is roughly 30 ppm.

Whilst in the case of nitrogen, which comprises approximately 780 000 ppm in the atmosphere, the equivalent value in ocean water is only 1 ppm.

How can that be, knowing what we know about Henry's law? Shouldn't the nitrogen content in the ocean, taking this law into consideration, be a lot higher and at least greater than the Co2 content?

ucim

Re: Henry's law and its effect on Nitrogen in the ocean

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:08 am UTC

It's proportional, but doesn't necessarily have the same constant of proportionality for each gas. Some gasses are more soluble than others.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

The_Govenator_1

Postby The_Govenator_1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:14 am UTC

Thank you very much for your answer.

Yes, I guess that makes sense. It would also tend to suggest that Co2 is very easily absorbed when it comes into contact with water.

Also, is there a chart or formula that shows solubility of the various gasses?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:58 am UTC

Have you heard about our lord and saviour Wikipedia? It has a small table and a footnote link to a large table for these constants.

The_Govenator_1

Postby The_Govenator_1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:33 pm UTC

Thanks for the link.

I tried to find some articles on the matter before I posted here, but I couldn't find anything. I have no formal qualifications in science, just a curious mind ;-)

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:50 am UTC

The_Govenator_1 wrote:Thank you very much for your answer.

Yes, I guess that makes sense. It would also tend to suggest that Co2 is very easily absorbed when it comes into contact with water.

Also, is there a chart or formula that shows solubility of the various gasses?

Yep -- CO2 is really soluble -- partly because it reacts with water to convert into carbonic acid. This allows a lot more CO2 to dissolve than it would otherwise.

So, not only is it more soluble than N2, it also is taken out of solution by that reaction.

CO2's solubility isn't solely determined by Henry's law -- but also by the constant for its reaction with water.

Return to “Science”