Physics and Photography

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

JazzKennyWowy

Physics and Photography

Postby JazzKennyWowy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:56 pm UTC

Is it possible to figure out the distance of an in focus object was from the camera when the photo was taken? I was thinking if you knew the aperture, focal length, and the sensor size (probably matters if not full frame) which most photography websites have the option of including with photos. If the depth of field was too large you couldn't but with a shallow depth of field I bet you could get a pretty accurate measurement.

speising

Re: Physics and Photography

Postby speising » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:50 pm UTC

No.
Proof: you can focus on different things without changing any of the mentioned parameters.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:16 pm UTC

In particular, the problem is that the focal length is related to the actual distances by the equation 1/s1 + 1/s2 = 1/f, where s1 is the distance (from the front nodal point) to the in-focus object and s2 is the distance (from the rear nodal point) to the film or sensor.

If f = 50mm and s2 = 55mm, then s1 = 55cm. If s2 = 51mm then s1 = 255cm.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:23 pm UTC

Is not s_2 very knowable by cameras?
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:32 pm UTC

It's presumably entirely knowable by the camera, but I don't believe it's typically stored in image metadata.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “Science”