Physics saves...

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Dyvnation

Physics saves...

Postby Dyvnation » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:48 am UTC

I was reading random comics and came upon the "Dangers" comic. In light of the mention of elevator deaths, I just thought I'd throw in a little fact that no one has died from an elevator falling through the shaft and crushing them or exploding in fiery pits of doom some people may or may not have seem in movies. One woman was injured, however, when a plane crashed into a building while she was in an elevator and snapped the cords, but the compressed air under the elevator and the excess cords coiled at the bottom gave her a cushion and ultimately saved her from becoming a statistic. Not criticizing, correcting, or offending (hopefully), just sharing a little fact. Enjoy.

Master Gunner

Re: Physics saves...

Postby Master Gunner » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:59 pm UTC

That may be, but the comic wasn't saying how many people died, but how many returns a Google search for that gave (which could include something like: No one has ever "died in an elevator accident"). Also, for some reason Google only gives me half of what Randall got. I think Randall's stealing my internets.

tiny

Postby tiny » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

Don't you dare accuse His Randallness of theft!

In the article that's linked in the thread about the guy who was stuck in an elevator for over 40 hours says that about 12 people die in elevator related accidents every year in the U.S. Most of them are maintenance workers who tend to meet their gorey fate on - as opposed to in - an elevator.

The woman whom the OP mentioned, however, survived, but only 'severely injured' as the above article calls it. I don't know which option I'd prefer. Go with a bang or get messed up physically with a screeetch-rattle-rattle-screetch-plongplong-rattle. Or however it sounds when an elevator lands on it's piled up cables.
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

danpilon54

Postby danpilon54 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

I was under the impression that all elevators (at least ones that would pass safety inspection in the US) would simply lock into place if all the cables were cut. I can see how a plane hitting a building might not allow this to happen, so I guess an elevator could fall but only in extreme cases.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Well, I killed a homeless man. We can't all be good people.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

danpilon54 wrote:I was under the impression that all elevators (at least ones that would pass safety inspection in the US) would simply lock into place if all the cables were cut. I can see how a plane hitting a building might not allow this to happen, so I guess an elevator could fall but only in extreme cases.

Only if the sides of the lift shaft were physically compromised. Lift pods (whatever the actual room-like things are called) have a mechanism in the base that locks out if the cables snap, the lift-shaft sides don't catch the lift-pod.
I think they build redundancy into the cables anyway, to save people from being scared by the lifts and not buying them, but able to alert HQ that a cable broke and allow them to shut down the lift for 'routine maintenance'.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:15 am UTC

A little bit more about that incident from wikipedia:

Wikipedia wrote:At 9:40 a.m. on Saturday July 28, 1945, a B-25 Mitchell bomber, piloted by Lieutenant Colonel William F. Smith, Jr., who was flying in a thick fog, accidentally crashed into the north side of the Empire State Building between the 79th and 80th floors, where the offices of the National Catholic Welfare Council were located. One engine shot through the side opposite the impact and another plummeted down an elevator shaft. The fire was extinguished in 40 minutes. Fourteen people were killed in the incident. Elevator operator Betty Lou Oliver survived a plunge of 75 stories inside an elevator, which still stands as the Guinness World Record for the longest survived elevator fall recorded. Despite the damage and loss of life, the building was open for business on many floors the following Monday.

I just wanted to note that it wasn't a woman in just some building, but actually the Empire State Building itself.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

Return to “Science”