cost of space flight

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

lucaswschmidt

cost of space flight

Postby lucaswschmidt » Tue May 20, 2008 3:03 am UTC

does anyone know how much a single soyeuz mission costs in american dollars, and the costs of any other comparable space flights? also, i know the price of a single virgin galactic seat but does anyone know how much a single flight is gonna cost the company themselves?

evilbeanfiend

Re: cost of space flight

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue May 20, 2008 8:05 am UTC

iirc unmanned launch costs are usually around the $10,000 per kg area, though you also need to build what ever you want to launch which ain't cheap. not really sure what additional overheads are incurred by having reusable craft capable of transporting passengers, though its possible it will still be comparable for the launch itself.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Solt

Postby Solt » Tue May 20, 2008 8:58 am UTC

There's this website, http://www.google.com. Check it out some time.

In any case, since I too am curious:

http://www.physorg.com/news5901.html

A single Soyuz mission costs about $65 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shut ... gram#Costs

Considering the full cost of the program, the Space Shuttle has cost about $1.3 Billion per launch so far. However, actual mission costs are as low as $60 million per since the shuttle is reusable. Keep in mind that the Shuttle carries 7 astronauts compared to 3 for the Soyuz, and the shuttle's payload capacity is about 23,000 kg to low earth orbit while Soyuz can carry about 8,000 kg.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

lucaswschmidt

Postby lucaswschmidt » Thu May 22, 2008 2:20 am UTC

Solt wrote:There's this website, http://www.google.com. Check it out some time.

In any case, since I too am curious:

http://www.physorg.com/news5901.html

A single Soyuz mission costs about $65 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shut ... gram#Costs

Considering the full cost of the program, the Space Shuttle has cost about $1.3 Billion per launch so far. However, actual mission costs are as low as $60 million per since the shuttle is reusable. Keep in mind that the Shuttle carries 7 astronauts compared to 3 for the Soyuz, and the shuttle's payload capacity is about 23,000 kg to low earth orbit while Soyuz can carry about 8,000 kg.

1. thanks for the info.

2. you're an asshat.

Solt

Postby Solt » Thu May 22, 2008 1:02 pm UTC

lucaswschmidt wrote:2. you're an asshat.

haha, yea...

Why did you want to know, anyway?
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,

produced a more reliable product. But sailors do

not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a

most annoying habit of splitting in two."

-J.W. Morris

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu May 22, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

I've heard proposed costs of around $1000 a kilo with a space elevator.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu May 22, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

I can't imagine how anyone could get even a ballpark figure for something like a space elevator until a practical design is well on its way to completion.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu May 22, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

The marginal costs for a space elevator tends to be energy based.

Although, there are also capacity problems -- which would mean that the cost of building the elevator folds into the cost of the elevator.

You can always use the elevator, however, to build more elevators cheaper...
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

lucaswschmidt

Postby lucaswschmidt » Fri May 23, 2008 12:36 am UTC

Solt wrote:
lucaswschmidt wrote:2. you're an asshat.

haha, yea...

Why did you want to know, anyway?

i'm doing a speech in my japanese class about how the x prize foundation is going to finally get us to the future we've always been promised by fiction and science. since the ansari x prize is the only one that's been won and the only one that's spawned a new industry because of the victory, i'm using it to show how the competitions are stimulating growth. the prices are to show while the price of a single ticket to space is expensive, other organizations are spending a lot more money.

the problem is that many things that are considered general knowledge in america are very specific knowledge in japan that the average person won't understand :(

lucaswschmidt

Postby lucaswschmidt » Fri May 23, 2008 1:05 am UTC

Yakk wrote:The marginal costs for a space elevator tends to be energy based.

Although, there are also capacity problems -- which would mean that the cost of building the elevator folds into the cost of the elevator.

You can always use the elevator, however, to build more elevators cheaper...

speaking of space elevators, they're gonna be the end of mankind. has anyone heard or read of the bacteria found on MIR that can dissolve titanium? they developed as a result of normal earthy bacteria being brought up into space and exposed to high levels of solar radiation, mutating, and finding that there's large amounts of food hidden away behind titanium paneling.

if we start putting space elevators into common use we're going to be sending shipments up to space and back very regularly. killing all of the bacteria on every shipment is going to be impossible so we're going to be exposing a large amount of everyday bacteria to solar radiation.

you do the math.

jmorgan3

Postby jmorgan3 » Fri May 23, 2008 4:53 am UTC

lucaswschmidt wrote:speaking of space elevators, they're gonna be the end of mankind. has anyone heard or read of the bacteria found on MIR that can dissolve titanium? they developed as a result of normal earthy bacteria being brought up into space and exposed to high levels of solar radiation, mutating, and finding that there's large amounts of food hidden away behind titanium paneling.

if we start putting space elevators into common use we're going to be sending shipments up to space and back very regularly. killing all of the bacteria on every shipment is going to be impossible so we're going to be exposing a large amount of everyday bacteria to solar radiation.

you do the math.

You forget that the radiation will also give us superheroes. I'd say that evens it all out.
This signature is Y2K compliant.
Last updated 6/29/108

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Fri May 23, 2008 8:26 am UTC

Very roughly between 20 and 50 million. Depends on the exact setup and how good you are at negotiating.
Do you want the spacecraft or just the launcher?
Why do you assume that I exist?

Return to “Science”