What do you think we will see at the LHC?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

What do you think we will see?

Higgs Boson
31%
Micro black holes
16%
Supersymmetry
11%
Headcrabs
35%
Other(please specify)
8%

Total votes: 202

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Re: Question about the Large Hadron Collider

Postby Yakk » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

Minerva wrote:
miles01110 wrote:The energy in this case is more akin to an aircraft carrier moving at 30 knots.

Is that really true?

2808 bunches * 1.15 * 1011 protons in each bunch * 7 TeV = 362 MJ as the total kinetic energy carried in the circulating p beam.

A Nimitz class carrier has a displacement of close to 100,000 tons, therefore having a kinetic energy of 10.8 gigajoules at 30 knots. For a ship travelling at 30 knots to have the same kinetic energy as that beam, it would need to have a mass of 3352 tons, which is a far, far smaller ship.

Or, have I done something stupid? Corrections, of course, are welcome.

The French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle has a light displacement of 38,000 tons.

Using google calculator (double checking is good, right?):
(38 000 short tons * ((30 knots)^2)) / 2 = 4.10552603 × 10^9 joules
2808 * 1.15 * (10^11) * (7 TeV) = 362 162 376 joules

Still off by a factor of 10.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

Did I ever mention I absolutely love Google Calculator for doing this kind of physics-type stuff?
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

hagger

Postby hagger » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:
Minerva wrote:
miles01110 wrote:The energy in this case is more akin to an aircraft carrier moving at 30 knots.

Is that really true?

2808 bunches * 1.15 * 1011 protons in each bunch * 7 TeV = 362 MJ as the total kinetic energy carried in the circulating p beam.

A Nimitz class carrier has a displacement of close to 100,000 tons, therefore having a kinetic energy of 10.8 gigajoules at 30 knots. For a ship travelling at 30 knots to have the same kinetic energy as that beam, it would need to have a mass of 3352 tons, which is a far, far smaller ship.

Or, have I done something stupid? Corrections, of course, are welcome.

The French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle has a light displacement of 38,000 tons.

Using google calculator (double checking is good, right?):
(38 000 short tons * ((30 knots)^2)) / 2 = 4.10552603 × 10^9 joules
2808 * 1.15 * (10^11) * (7 TeV) = 362 162 376 joules

Still off by a factor of 10.

I'm not sure how knots and short tons work precisely in relation to SI units, but I'd be surprised if they cancel out to joules when you use Ek = 0.5mv2. I could be wrong. Plus, according to the wiki entry for Short Ton, the slightly different Long Ton is used in the US for nautical ship weights. So possibly you have a conversion error somewhere? I'm not sure which tons a French battleship would use...

Curse these bizarre measurements! Confusion reigns! And this is probably getting a bit off-topic, but oh well.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

hagger wrote:I'm not sure how knots and short tons work precisely in relation to SI units, but I'd be surprised if they cancel out to joules when you use Ek = 0.5mv2.

Yeah, but this is Google Calculator... it does unit conversion automatically.

0.5 * 1kg * (1 m/s)^2 = 0.5 joules
0.5 * 1 ton * (1 knot)^2 = 120.044621 joules

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:16 am UTC

You can see why I like Google Calculator. In fact, maybe we can start a thread on all the cool sciencey things you can do with it.

[url]http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=2808+*+1.15+*+10^11+*+7+TeV++%2F+(1%2F2+*+(30+knots)^2)+in+tons&btnG=Search&meta=[/url]
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:00 am UTC

Minerva wrote:[url]http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=2808+*+1.15+*+10^11+*+7+TeV++%2F+(1%2F2+*+(30+knots)^2)+in+tons&btnG=Search&meta=[/url]

Is it just me, or is it fitting that the only result (other than Google Calculator) from that URL is another forum with the same "aircraft carrier" comparison?

I guess the numbers are pretty LHC-specific, and "knots" sorta narrows down the contexts that you'd be mentioning the LHC in, but still...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:04 am UTC

google calculator is nice :)

the answer to life the universe and everything slug, once in a blue moon, in dram per fortnight

is apparently 4883.19358 :)

alexgmcm

What do you think we will see at the LHC?

Postby alexgmcm » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:53 am UTC

Well the question is kinda self-explanatory. I mean here we are 10 years and £3.5bn later and now we finally get to see what will happen.

Do you think we will see the Higgs Boson?. Or microscopic black holes? Or we will tear a hole in the space-time continuum and have to fight aliens from the planet Xen?

Notch

Re: What do you think we will see at the LHC?

Postby Notch » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:58 am UTC

Headcrabs would be by far the most significant and cool outcome! =D Awesome!

/me starts sharpening crowbar.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:05 am UTC

I'm gonna make Barney give me my gun...
And if he decides he's giving me the crowbar *shakes fist*
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:15 am UTC

Serious answer? Micro Black Holes. I don't think we'll find the Higgs Boson. Non-serious answer: Headcrabs ftw.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Firnagzen

Postby Firnagzen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:06 am UTC

Headcrabs are a cool bonus, though if we see micro black holes with world eating capability, the headcrabs and combine won't be the problem...

Seriously? I'm hoping for the Higgs boson. Oh, and if anyone checks super symmetry and the higgs boson, you'll be eating my crowbar soon.
Life may suck, but there's nothing else to do.

Matterwave1

Postby Matterwave1 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:27 am UTC

I think a lot of scientists are gonna cry when no Higgs Boson is found... :P

jk

I have no idea...I would guess OTHER. As it's a pretty safe bet we're gonna find something we didn't expect hehe.

rho

Postby rho » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Why is everyone so worried about micro blackholes anyway? With a machine that big the chances of a resonance cascade failiure are pretty high. I mean, It's only a matter of time before someone starts sticking some anomalous materials in the proton beam :p

Seriously though: It'd be lovely if signs of SUSY appeared. SUSY is very pretty.
Less Than Three.

Charlie!

Postby Charlie! » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

I would guess 42.
Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"

miles01110

Postby miles01110 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

Here's some info for those of you interested in watching the events surrounding September 10:

Dear colleagues,

below you will find several links concerning the LHC first beam injection on 10 September. Note that the actual start-up time (button-pressing in the Globe) is planned for approximately 09h30.

- first beam info for media: http://lhc-first-beam.web.cern.ch/lhc-f ... lcome.html

- satellite broadcast: http://lhc-first-beam.web.cern.ch/lhc-f ... llite.html

- live webcast from http://webcast.cern.ch , starting at 8:30 am

- official info on all CERN events (in particular VIP Inauguration of 21 October) is on cern.ch/lhc2008

ATLAS Secretariat

Notch

Postby Notch » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

Firnagzen wrote:Oh, and if anyone checks super symmetry and the higgs boson, you'll be eating my crowbar soon.

Crap, I did. I didn't know they were mutually exclusive! *reads up*

dangerous

Postby dangerous » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:49 pm UTC

Is anyone running the LHC@home?
http://lhcathome.cern.ch/lhcathome/

I downloaded it and my machine is doing some calculations for them, but can't get the pretty visuals working :(

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

rho wrote:I mean, It's only a matter of time before someone starts sticking some anomalous materials in the proton beam :p

Just so long as they don't cross them...

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

I'd hope it finds the Higgs Boson, cause othervice we've wasted a lot of money, seeing that it was build to ind that Boson. However, a resonance cascade that tears a hole in the fabric of space and time, allowing the demonic legions from beyond the void to come through and ravage our world would be avesome. Now, when are they actually going to start this thing up? I need time to prepare for the coming of the apocalypse.

Matterwave1

Postby Matterwave1 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:07 pm UTC

Well, if they DON'T find the Higgs Boson, it still tells us something. Which is...Build a bigger one until you do! :D

jk

But seriously, revising the standard model for particle physics isn't such a bad prospect... at least not for those of us NOT paid to do the math...

sgt york

Postby sgt york » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Higgs + headcrabs.

Firnagzen implied Higgs & SUSY are mutually exclusive. IANAPP, but I thought SUSY had Higgs included, just at higher energies. Is this incorrect, or is it just that even LHC can't get that high?

Also, rappers. (summary: A rap about the LHC, done at the LHC by people at the LHC. If you don't laugh your ass off, turn in your geek credentials).

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

Seems like a duplicate, but I'm open to persuasion: Let me know if you see good reasons not to merge this with the other LHC thread(s).
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Seems like a duplicate, but I'm open to persuasion: Let me know if you see good reasons not to merge this with the other LHC thread(s).

A pretty convincing vote for headcrabs?

Can we keep the poll?

I hope it messes up and flashes us all back to the beginning of the universe... or course, we wont survive that, but the sit-com in my head says otherwise... doodoo.
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Firnagzen

Postby Firnagzen » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:41 pm UTC

sgt york wrote:Higgs + headcrabs.

Firnagzen implied Higgs & SUSY are mutually exclusive. IANAPP, but I thought SUSY had Higgs included, just at higher energies. Is this incorrect, or is it just that even LHC can't get that high?

Actually, yes, but the implication here is that the LHC will prove the existence of the Higgs boson as the sole cause of mass in other elementary particles, as opposed to supersymmetry which predicts superpartners like squarks (the name sticks in the mind) or whatever they're called. So the way I read it, the two are mutually exclusive in this poll.

BTW, what does IANAPP stand for?

Mr_Rose

Postby Mr_Rose » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

Firnagzen wrote:BTW, what does IANAPP stand for?

Almost certainly "I Am Not A Particle Physicist" - the "IANA" root is apparently now known well enough to be coupled to any branch, relying on context to define the meaning.
Microevolution is a term — when used by creationists — that is the evolutionary equivalent of the belief that the mechanism you use to walk from your bedroom to the kitchen is insufficient to get you from New York to Los Angeles.

btarlinian

Postby btarlinian » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

Firnagzen wrote:
sgt york wrote:Higgs + headcrabs.

Actually, yes, but the implication here is that the LHC will prove the existence of the Higgs boson as the sole cause of mass in other elementary particles, as opposed to supersymmetry which predicts superpartners like squarks (the name sticks in the mind) or whatever they're called. So the way I read it, the two are mutually exclusive in this poll.

BTW, what does IANAPP stand for?

IANAPP either, but from what I've read on Wikipedia, SUSY basically explains why the Higgs is light enough for us to see. It doesn't exclude the Higgs. Rather, it is an attempt to avoid excessive fine-tuning when making a prediction of the Higgs mass. (It also gives a very good candidate particle for dark matter.)

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

sgt york wrote:Firnagzen implied Higgs & SUSY are mutually exclusive. IANAPP, but I thought SUSY had Higgs included, just at higher energies. Is this incorrect, or is it just that even LHC can't get that high?

The vibe I get is that physicists would be pretty shocked if SUSY isn't for real. They can work around not having the Higgs, but SUSY just makes a lot of physics more sane. Not only is it required to make string/brane/M theory self-consistent, provides some handy superpartner candidates for dark matter, and gets the strengths of the forces to converge nicely at the Planck Epoch, but there is actually some empirical evidence that its the Real Deal.

Also, what has SUSY got to do with particle masses?
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Firnagzen

Postby Firnagzen » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:57 am UTC

*Shrugs*

Well, guess I was mistaken, then. Oh well. Still, headcrabs need to be discovered. :mrgreen:

wst

Postby wst » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:12 pm UTC

Other-
BAMF Collisions. Maybe quantum airbags?
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:37 am UTC

2 more days!

Anyone know what time the earth is planning to implode they'll switch it on? (GMT?) I know the webfeed goes online from 8:30am until 1700, but seeing as I'm at work, I can't sit there watching it all day...

Nevermind, I checked and my Flash/WMP is not up-to-date, and administrative lack-of-privilege means I can't install the necessary updates. *sniff*.

Let's just hope they don't boost the anti-mass spectrometer 110%, because that's a bit of a gamble. No-one wants a full resonance cascade. Will there be any way to see the results (i.e. will the collision create a visual spectacle)? Why couldn't they build the supercollider so that the collision happens right in the centre of the Big Brother house, because I want to see some vaporisation and human cost, preferably of D-list celebrities.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Mr_Rose

Postby Mr_Rose » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Why couldn't they build the supercollider so that the collision happens right in the centre of the Big Brother house, because I want to see some vaporisation and human cost, preferably of D-list celebrities.

D-list? D?
What the hell did those freaks do to deserve such a promotion?

As for your other question: Probably, but there aren't any optical cameras set up in there to look. Besides. even if there was a flash, it would last somewhat less than a nanosecond IIRC.
Microevolution is a term — when used by creationists — that is the evolutionary equivalent of the belief that the mechanism you use to walk from your bedroom to the kitchen is insufficient to get you from New York to Los Angeles.

wst

Postby wst » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

Britney Spears in a particle accelerator would be extremely funny. As long as more don't start spawning from her ashes 0.o
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

miles01110

Postby miles01110 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:13 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:=
Anyone know what time the earth is planning to implode they'll switch it on? (GMT?) I know the webfeed goes online from 8:30am until 1700, but seeing as I'm at work, I can't sit there watching it all day...

0930 or so local time (0730 GMT?)

Will there be any way to see the results (i.e. will the collision create a visual spectacle)?

No.

ian

Postby ian » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:23 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:2 more days!

Nevermind, I checked and my Flash/WMP is not up-to-date, and administrative lack-of-privilege means I can't install the necessary updates. *sniff*.

Let's just hope they don't boost the anti-mass spectrometer 110%, because that's a bit of a gamble. No-one wants a full resonance cascade. Will there be any way to see the results (i.e. will the collision create a visual spectacle)? Why couldn't they build the supercollider so that the collision happens right in the centre of the Big Brother house, because I want to see some vaporisation and human cost, preferably of D-list celebrities.

you can put portablefirefox on a usb and drop in the extensions for flash. solved.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:34 am UTC

One hour, folks!
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Six Degrees

Postby Six Degrees » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:04 am UTC

New findings swayed my predictions further towards headcrabs.

ian

Postby ian » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:44 am UTC

oh, felstaff i posted a post on how you could get around the usb problem but it's disappered! guess you wouldn't have time now anyway

Mourndark

Postby Mourndark » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:10 am UTC

Six Degrees wrote:New findings swayed my predictions further towards headcrabs.

You got there just before me!!

tommclaughlan

Postby tommclaughlan » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:17 am UTC

It's ON!

Well, they've put the beam in the tube anyway.

That's *almost* a euphemism.

Return to “Science”