Weather that kills you without warning.

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Kachi
Publicly Posts Private Messages

Weather that kills you without warning.

Postby Kachi » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:20 am UTC

I apologize in advance (maybe?) for linking a cracked article, and doubly so if it was already posted, but some of these seemed like scientific anomalies (at least, to cracked, so... go figure), and it was pretty interesting.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16685_5-bizarre-ways-weather-can-kill-you-without-warning.html

I think I've actually seen ball lightning before. One night when I was a child, I saw a bolt of lightning pass through a nearby window and strike the concrete floor right in front of me. It left no marks, and from then on, I've always had doubts that lightning couldn't, as I was told at the time, possibly have passed through glass, much less hit the floor without leaving a mark. So I wrote it off eventually as just seeing things, but now I have to wonder again.
Last edited by Kachi on Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Re: Weather that suddenly kills you.

Postby Sungura » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

I have seen a lightning ball before. There is a lot of info about it around if you look, as it is a very interesting phenomena. It hovered over my driveway for about 10 seconds, then it touched the drive and vanished. Tesla did some work that produced them; look him up.

As for the other phenomena, the heat wave burst thing I have heard of happening. And "ninja tornadoes"...well that seems feasible if there is no debris around.

For some reason I saw this post and thought, "oh, like heat stroke?" because yeah you could call things like that "weather that suddenly kills" - it will take a rabbit out in less than 15 minutes.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Kachi
Publicly Posts Private Messages

Re: Weather that kills you without warning.

Postby Kachi » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:58 am UTC

Ah, I'll do that, thanks.

Also, changed the title to be a bit less misleading.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:36 am UTC

If you are interested in neat weather phenomena you may want to check out http://www.weatherscapes.com, the guy is both a photographer and physicist so he has very good descriptions of things and even a list of books and such if you want to learn more.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

People have been killed by icicles coming out out nowhere from a clear sky. Does that count?
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:44 am UTC

This one in the picture above fell in some dude's living room while he was watching The Exorcist. Seriously.

This man shat brix. I'm sure of it.

zealo

Postby zealo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

Angua wrote:People have been killed by icicles coming out out nowhere from a clear sky. Does that count?

some article i read from fark yesterday was about a woman who got hit by a giant ice cube (possibly from space) while she was lying in bed.

Sungura wrote:And "ninja tornadoes"...well that seems feasible if there is no debris around.

i recall reading in the guinness book of records that an invisible tornado with a base over a mile wide destroyed some stuff near sydney once.
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

There was the strangest weather a while back around these parts. It was a sunny day, no wind, some clouds but nothing ominous. As day turned to night (it's pretty far north, so it was pitch black by 7 PM), it started to pour down rain. Then the wind picked up, like a bolt of lightning out of clear sky. And it was gusty wind, it could be calm like a grave one moment, and then the wind would hit you like a punch in the face with a strength that made standing up straight difficult, and then it would calm down just as quickly, be quiet for a few minutes, then howling gale, rinse and repeat throughout the night.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Return to “Science”