You might be a physics major if...

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Glo

Re: You might be a physics major if...

Postby Glo » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

Hm, my supervisor is string theorist, and he's not so self-critical... My sister is master of art and she treets string theory as weird abstraction having no relation to the nature. So does Garret Lisi.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:16 pm UTC

You may be a physics major of the title of your chemistry text book, "Chemistry The Central Science" bugs you to no end.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Krikkit_Robot

Postby Krikkit_Robot » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:38 am UTC

YMBAPM if...

you returned your dorm room microwave with black burn marks on the inside from doing home experiments.

you cringe every time someone uses the term "quantum leap" to mean a large event or paradigm shift.

you have stopped trying to explain your research to you friends and parents, and just tell them " I make graphs on computers" hoping they will lose interest.

the bank teller asks what the little ' ħ ' symbol is on your check.

you should have never told your friends you had left over dry ice and 200 proof alcohol after your cloud chamber experiment.

you have ever invented a dimension of space so that your answer makes sense.

learning non-linear dynamics made you depressed.

Instead of asking your neighbors not to fall asleep with their TV on (directly on the other side of the wall from where I sleep) you devise a plan using a Motorola cellphone, rf amplifier, and a Cathode Ray Tube to simply make them regret falling asleep with their TV on

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

YMBAPM if you ever purchase a textbook solely because it is a better reference than the textbook you already have on that topic.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:29 am UTC

Krikkit_Robot wrote:the bank teller asks what the little ' ħ ' symbol is on your check.

The following is a totally true story. You see, about a year ago, I realized that signatures for debit/credit slips don't really have to be, well, signatures. Nobody checks them unless you challenge the charges as fraudulent. Now, it seems to me a forger could learn to sign my name, and my handwriting's so inconsistent that this could be troublesome. Why not make my signature something like a password, making it harder to forge because they would have to know both what to write and how to write it?

Ultimately, after the third weird look from a cashier, I stopped signing my receipts with Gauss's Law.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:06 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Krikkit_Robot wrote:the bank teller asks what the little ' ħ ' symbol is on your check.

The following is a totally true story. You see, about a year ago, I realized that signatures for debit/credit slips don't really have to be, well, signatures. Nobody checks them unless you challenge the charges as fraudulent. Now, it seems to me a forger could learn to sign my name, and my handwriting's so inconsistent that this could be troublesome. Why not make my signature something like a password, making it harder to forge because they would have to know both what to write and how to write it?

Ultimately, after the third weird look from a cashier, I stopped signing my receipts with Gauss's Law.

that would be a great name.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

gnutrino

Postby gnutrino » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:08 pm UTC

YMBAPM if you have ever had a heated argument go on 'til 3:30 in the morning over what is the best form of the Dirac equation. Or if you even have a favourite form of the Dirac equation (Feynman slash notation FTW! Down with the Hamiltonian form etc....)

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:15 pm UTC

You might be a physics major if the fact that your character in a game fell some 500km, but was uninjured because he/she landed in water, annoys you.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

ecshafer

Postby ecshafer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:28 pm UTC

ymbapm If when you are describing to some engineers in your math class how easy modern physics is by comparing it to how unimaginably easy university physics 1 was, and their response is along the lines of "I failed that class" or "I almost failed that class", and when you reply with the "but engineering is just applied physics.... and you are an engineer" the room then gets really quiet.

Link

Postby Link » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

Krikkit_Robot wrote:Instead of asking your neighbors not to fall asleep with their TV on (directly on the other side of the wall from where I sleep) you devise a plan using a Motorola cellphone, rf amplifier, and a Cathode Ray Tube to simply make them regret falling asleep with their TV on

Or a length of thick copper wire, a hollow copper cylinder, a high-energy capacitor bank, an antenna and a small amount of high explosive.

YMBAPM if...
...your bedroom is in fact a Faraday cage.
...people tend to lose their phone signal near your house.
...your fridge has a microkelvin setting.
...you have a cloud chamber for purely decorative purposes.
...you have an immensely complex array of mirrors and lenses set up in and around your house illuminate your house using the sun and moon in lieu of light bulbs.
...you have designed and adopted a more energy-efficient gait, causing you to regularly receive confused looks from strangers you encounter in the street.
...you have secretly built a fast breeder reactor in your basement.
...several robots roam your house.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:37 pm UTC

Link wrote:...you have an immensely complex array of mirrors and lenses set up in and around your house illuminate your house using the sun and moon in lieu of light bulbs.

I want to do this.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Krikkit_Robot

Postby Krikkit_Robot » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

Link wrote:...several robots roam your house.

If you count the gang of rogue Roombas that no longer lets me use the upstairs, then...

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:17 pm UTC

Link wrote:...you have designed and adopted a more energy-efficient gait, causing you to regularly receive confused looks from strangers you encounter in the street.

PSST: as a biologist sneaking into this thread, it's probably not more energy efficient. The normal mode of walking is pretty damn efficient, and we've evolved to be fantastic at it. Also,
Link wrote:...you have secretly built a fast breeder reactor in your basement.

WTF?
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Antimony-120
Location: Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat.

Postby Antimony-120 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:39 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
Link wrote:...you have secretly built a fast breeder reactor in your basement.

WTF?

Don't let the outsiders know what we're doing! They'll call the cops on us! I mean, I've only tried pulling the control rods just to see what happens once, and that barely counted as a meltdown. More like a "very very hot slightly radioactive slag heap. And now the neighbours are all "what was that noise?" "why is the EPA here?"
Wolydarg wrote:That was like a roller coaster of mathematical reasoning. Problems! Solutions! More problems!

****************Signature Dehosted, New Signature Under Construction************************

fenno2001

Postby fenno2001 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

You might be an astronomy major if
-You have different definitions to everyday words such as mass and metals.
-You get sick of using illogical units.
-Your lecturers are often on the other side of the planet (literally).

robininoakland

Postby robininoakland » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:43 am UTC

Your favorite pub food is fission chips!

webby

Postby webby » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:15 am UTC

fenno2001 wrote:You might be an astronomy major if
-You have different definitions to everyday words such as mass and metals.

Lol yes! I keep getting very confused looks from chem friends when I tell them that my research is to do with metals, then start talking about oxygen. :P

robininoakland wrote:Your favorite pub food is fission chips!

And that is an absolutely terrible pun. Welcome, though. :)

Micali

Postby Micali » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:07 am UTC

...if you've considered the vector of a ball while watching/playing sport and tried to make calculations on projectile motion before it lands.

and if you've ever used math in a game of pool/billiards.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:03 am UTC

YMBAPM if you spent an entire night reading through a 14 page forum thread about YMBAPMI jokes. And were glad that your roommate was gone because of how many times you started laughing hysterically.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

TungstenWire74

Postby TungstenWire74 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Link wrote:
Krikkit_Robot wrote:Instead of asking your neighbors not to fall asleep with their TV on (directly on the other side of the wall from where I sleep) you devise a plan using a Motorola cellphone, rf amplifier, and a Cathode Ray Tube to simply make them regret falling asleep with their TV on

Or a length of thick copper wire, a hollow copper cylinder, a high-energy capacitor bank, an antenna and a small amount of high explosive.

Why do you have this stuff laying around your place?

I can't exactly relate to a lot of the specifically physics-related posts here, but I do die a little inside on most occasions that tv makes an attempt at chemistry (or medicine given my previous education), so I feel your pain.
Also, most of the people I know outside of school know nothing about anything that I do, and I'm generally obsessive enough that taking less than an extra class or two above full time status feels like laziness and a waste of time, and I will not go to bed without doing homework and studying even if I spent the entire day in class and at work.
I hang out with mostly only other very nerdy people, and there might be one humanities major who ends up getting bullied *by* the nerds.
Lastly, I'm not sure if you guys get the same way, but I always get a little panicked when I'm not feeling particularly scientifically curious or obsessive (which has been largely the case over this spring break =[ ).

Xv8M4g3r

Postby Xv8M4g3r » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

YMBAPM if your doing a course entitled "Physics And Astrophysics"

I kid, I kid, thats far to simple.

YMBAAPM if you HATE PEOPLE WHO TURN OFF TELESCOPES UNPARKED! and have a hatred for cloud cover. (Screw you my friends in astro lab who unparked or broke the telescope every clear night I went to use it.)
Slowpoke says: 'GENERATION BB/9000*(A(g_64,g_64)): World first ever social experiment! Add one meme to this sig and post it in yours!'

Return to “Science”