sea fog in perth on easter saturday

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

zealo

sea fog in perth on easter saturday

Postby zealo » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:45 pm UTC

i was a few kilometers away from the coast when it came in, but in the 10 mins or so it took me to buy chocolate eggs and lemonade, the sky went from totally clear blue to... not...

it was low and thick. i could see it was coming from the coast, there was still some blue left in the sky in the east. i could see it blowing between cars in small clumps. i had no idea what it was.

my first thought was smoke, but i couldn't smell it. second thought was sand, but wind wasn't really strong enough, and there was a distinct lack of sand on the ground and stuff. someone suggested it could be a really low cloud. air visibility dropped to a few hundred meters by the time i got home. (1 km-ish from the coast, view of the ocean was totally blocked.)

according to the news it was sea fog, caused by mostior and air combining in some way. i've seen fog before, but not in perth, not in summer, and definately not that time of day. also fog i've seen tended to hug the ground, while this didn't.

can anyone tell me, what caused this to happen? and why has it never happened before? is it common in some places?
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

Kow

Re: sea fog in perth on easter saturday

Postby Kow » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:42 pm UTC

It's a miracle. Praise Jesus!

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

Watch out for monsters in the mist.

Really, though, weather can change rapidly. I've seen weather go from clear blue sky to thunderstorms in less than an hour.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:16 am UTC

The thing is, the air can hold a lot of water without it appearing to be foggy. But if the temperature drops, it can loose it's capacity to hold all this water, which will give the appearance of fog forming out of seemingly nowhere (when the water was in the air all along.)

It's the same thing with clouds. They are warm humid air rising and running into cold air, causing some of the humidity to "shed."
Last edited by You, sir, name? on Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:44 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:28 am UTC

I remember driving down a highway where for about half an hour, one half was wet from rain, and the other half was dry. Weather travels remarkably fast. Also what You, sir, name? said, if you want a more sciencey explanation.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Return to “Science”