Fun things to do with dry ice?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

PerPer

Fun things to do with dry ice?

Postby PerPer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

I just saw a clip on Hacked Gadgets on how to make a poor mans liquid nitrogen (http://hackedgadgets.com/2009/04/23/liq ... r-kitchen/ ).

Now I know that this isn't the only cool / fun thing you can do with dry ice, but I can't seem to think of one, so help me out! What's your favorite dry ice thingy-majig?
"If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give 'em a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves." - Douglas Adams

To bad you can only use 255 characters, otherwise I would write somethin

headprogrammingczar

Re: Fun things to do with dry ice?

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:41 pm UTC

Try making ice cream using dry ice for cooling, then see how it comes out.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:02 pm UTC

Ice cream is more fun with liquid nitrogen.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

mollusk

Postby mollusk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

Put a small piece in a 1.5ml centrifuge tube, toss it under a labmate's desk and wait for the pop.
John Hodgman wrote:...while the truth may be stranger than fiction, it is never as strange as lies . . . or as true.

asad137

Postby asad137 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:57 pm UTC

Take a room temperature marble or marble-sized ball bearing (or a quarter, even) and press it down on the surface of a flat piece of dry ice.

Asad

Link

Postby Link » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

Make a cloud chamber. Make sure to toss in a neodymium-iron-boron magnet to see the electrically charged particles bend (electrons and positrons, mostly).

danpilon54

Postby danpilon54 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:11 pm UTC

As long as it's clean, I like to put it in drinks. It makes for a fun party actually. As for science, meh I dunno.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Well, I killed a homeless man. We can't all be good people.

justaman

Postby justaman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:18 pm UTC

A largish block makes a good Curling on vinyl, cork, or linoleum flooring. Especially once the bottom of it has smoothed sufficiently.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

Charlie!

Postby Charlie! » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

Drop it in a high-proof drink until you've got very cold alcohol. Then get some tongs and some marbles, heat the marbles over a kitchen stove and drop them into the cold alcohol.

Or: carbonate things other than beverages. Anything with high enough water content will carbonate in a CO2 atmosphere. PIckles maybe. Pudding. Ooh, do pudding!.
Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

There's an experiment in the Fun Experiments thread where you use two slabs of dry ice. Make sure they fit well together and carve out a little hollow in the center. Light a piece of magnesium in the hollow and seal the two slabs. Once it's done burning you'll have a ball of pure carbon left over. I only wonder where you get magnesium.

IHOPancake

Postby IHOPancake » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:06 am UTC

Delbin wrote:There's an experiment in the Fun Experiments thread where you use two slabs of dry ice. Make sure they fit well together and carve out a little hollow in the center. Light a piece of magnesium in the hollow and seal the two slabs. Once it's done burning you'll have a ball of pure carbon left over. I only wonder where you get magnesium.

It gets really bright and hot inside, so be careful. Also, make sure there is a little chimney for the CO2 to escape through as it expands due to the heat.
82.7% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:15 am UTC

IHOPancake wrote:
Delbin wrote:There's an experiment in the Fun Experiments thread where you use two slabs of dry ice. Make sure they fit well together and carve out a little hollow in the center. Light a piece of magnesium in the hollow and seal the two slabs. Once it's done burning you'll have a ball of pure carbon left over. I only wonder where you get magnesium.

It gets really bright and hot inside, so be careful. Also, make sure there is a little chimney for the CO2 to escape through as it expands due to the heat.

If you do it right, you shouldn't need one.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

mollusk wrote:Put a small piece in a 1.5ml centrifuge tube, toss it under a labmate's desk and wait for the pop.

Similarly, put a piece in a latex glove and tie it at the wrist-hole. Stick it in someone's labcoat pocket. :mrgreen:

sgt york

Postby sgt york » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

Nobody's going to mention a dry ice bomb? Or rocket?

Get a plastic bottle (2L soda bottle, water bottle, whatever).
Fill ~1/4 with water. Screw on lid, tightly.
Toss a good distance away.
Wait about 1-3 minutes for a very loud noise.

Alternative dry ice bomb, the depth charge:
Same thing, but fill the bottle ~halfway or so with rocks or sand; enough so it will sink. Add water so that there are a few inches above the rocks/sand.
Drop in dry ice, screw on lid nice and tight, drop in swimming pool/lake/pig lagoon.
If you choose pig lagoon, get the hell out of there.
Wait about 5-10 minutes. Nice geyser. Very fun to watch from the surface if it's in clear water, like a pool.

Dry ice rocket: Drink a bottle of wine. Fill ~1/4 with water. Drop in dry ice and stuff the cork in the top. Wait a few minutes, and watch the cork fly.

justaman

Postby justaman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

Yeah, dry ice bombs are good, though I have seen pictures of some pretty significant damage to people inflicted from a bomb going off a little earlier than expected. Who would have thought that plastic shards could do so much damage?
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:40 am UTC

A variant that you'll have trouble finding the parts for these days:

Take a film canister. Add a teaspoon of water and small (pea-gravel-sized) piece of dry ice, and put the lid on. Set down on the lid and step back. Watch the canister go shooting up 30-40 feet in the air. Alternatively, hold on to the canister and shoot the lid at someone.

spdqbr

Postby spdqbr » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:21 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:You can do a weaker version of this with a small square of paper towel, baking soda and vinegar. Fill the canister with a small amount - about a cm deep - of vinegar. Place a similar amount of baking soda in the center of the paper towel. Carefully place the paper towel over the mouth of the canister with the baking soda side up and placed the lid over it, enclosing the soda. Shake. Throw.

I used to make these and give them to people with a not saying, "I'm a friendship rattle, shake me!" Also works with crushed Alka Seltzer and water.
In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.

Galileo

ducksan

Postby ducksan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:38 am UTC

Dry ice bombs can be cool. BUT, you should follow these precautions - I didn't the only time I tried one and decided never to do it like that again. It stayed pressurized for a week, and picking up and throwing it resulted in an immediate explosion.
1. Consider hanging it from a tree or something. Tie a string around the neck of the bottle/etc. This is mainly because:
2. If it doesn't detonate, it's now easier to shoot with an airgun to safely defuse from a distance.
3. Corollary: Do it somewhere you can shoot an airgun.
The science flew off Gordon Freeman's face and landed and blowed up in a BOOM!

Return to “Science”