Jump in puddle of water and not get wet

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Pazuzu

Jump in puddle of water and not get wet

Postby Pazuzu » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:04 pm UTC

I just had a random thought about jumping into a puddle of water and immediately jumping out again, still dry. The thing is though, I can't remember ever having done this successfully. Can it be done?

Obviously the goal here is to jump into a puddle of rain water, splashing water on everyone around, and then jumping out without getting wet. The way I see it my head, you'd jump into the puddle with enough force to push the water away from your landing spot, and jump out before it returns. I'm just not sure if it's actually possible.

Vieto

Re: Jump in puddle of water and not get wet

Postby Vieto » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:06 pm UTC

you need to land vertically, or else you will move into the spray.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:41 am UTC

I don't think you could do it with a human jumper, but it could happen in some situations.

Also important is what you mean by "not get wet." Can your boots touch the water? It's possible to push it out of the way with the envelope of air that surrounds whatever is entering the puddle, but you need to have a rather small surface area to actually be able to push all the water underneath you to the side before you get there (and, to get a significant envelope you have to be going very fast, which means you don't have much time). If you can't actually touch the water, you might be able to shoot a shallow puddle and not get a wet bullet after it ricochets, but your control over what happens would have to be really precise.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:48 am UTC

I think what he means is you know when you jump into a puddle, the splash happens. So on all sides of your feet, water moves away, and you touch the bottom of the puddle. So briefly before the water from the splash comes back to fill in the void around your feet, can you jump out again.

I assume this has a few determining factors, the most obvious one, is how deep is the puddle.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:51 am UTC

put high-pressure balloons on you're feet? with luck, the burst of air will give you more time.

UmbralRaptor

Postby UmbralRaptor » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:51 am UTC

Probably doable with specialized footgear, and enough luck that nothing bounces back quite right. Wouldn't it be best to completely empty the puddle, so that there's no flow back?

Edit: Just cover yourself in something waterproof. Say, a drysuit. :lol:
Last edited by UmbralRaptor on Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Why do you assume that I exist?

Mr Jack

Postby Mr Jack » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:16 am UTC

Ducks don't get wet...

Jakell

Postby Jakell » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:38 am UTC

if you use two feet at the same time, one will get the other wet. I usually find fairly shallow puddles (<5cm), and as long as you jump in and out fairly quickly, there won't be any wetting on the splashback. I like to go running during/after it rains, and unless it's pouring cats and kittens, try to keep the shoes dry. speed is the key.
Physics Rocks!
Indigo is Bullshit.

Why not?

If you can't hear your heart pounding in your ears several times a day, you aren't dong it right.

Pazuzu

Postby Pazuzu » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:41 pm UTC

Gojoe got it right, that is exactly what I meant. Jakell has an important point, but I feel that with the proper distance between the legs and enough speed, it should be possible to jump in with both feet and still not get wet.

Also, I love the idea about baloons, but I tend to do these things in the spur of the moment. Baloons require forethought.

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

Someone with google-fu could find the links to that guy who dips his hands in molten lead. Use the same principle, just lower the temperatures.

You need some dry-ice shoes.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

Duban

Postby Duban » Wed May 06, 2009 3:21 am UTC

It's definately possible. A month or two ago I was skiing and it was getting warmer out. Of course Warmth = puddles. Went full speed into one of them and vaporized it, ok maybe not quite vaporized. Sprayed everbody within 30ft and by the time the puddle, what little was left of it anyways, closed in I was already on the other side. Its a good way to get dirty looks from complete strangers :oops: .
It is not the gods I fear. No, It is those who claim to speak for them that concern me.

Return to “Science”