Think: What color do you associate Chemistry with?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

SummerGlauFan

Re: Think: What color do you associate Chemistry with?

Postby SummerGlauFan » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:28 am UTC

Secateurs wrote:
manmantong2000 wrote:in my General Chemistry 101 lab, one girl in my class think it is ok to put copper (Cu) in nitric acid (HNO3) in the open classroom with 20 other people. The sizzling sounds, bubbling sounds, heat release, green-turning, brown, pungent, deadly gas emitting flask caught her attention after a few good 10 or 20 seconds.

Chemistry is green and brown, also transparent because that's what most chemical (that are handed to an undergraduate like me) appear to be.
Same thing happened in my class (in high school though) despite the warning of the teacher as he left the room: "Do not touch anything. Put everything down until I get back."

Followed, once he got back, with a variation of "what a surprise. I gave them volatile chemicals, and I left them alone." Also, a wonderful smell that would stay in the hall for a week.

I think we once had a student catch a sink on fire when he tried to hide the chemicals he was playing with.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Halebit

Postby Halebit » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:13 am UTC

Eh first thought was green, but later on today when I read it I thought gold, perhaps because of chemistrys roots in alchemy.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:13 am UTC

Green here as well. I guess I fit the stereotype.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Fallen Angel

Postby Fallen Angel » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:22 am UTC

Blue.
I don't know why I was created... and not some other misfortunate soul.

manmantong2000

Postby manmantong2000 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:22 pm UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:
Secateurs wrote:
manmantong2000 wrote:in my General Chemistry 101 lab, one girl in my class think it is ok to put copper (Cu) in nitric acid (HNO3) in the open classroom with 20 other people. The sizzling sounds, bubbling sounds, heat release, green-turning, brown, pungent, deadly gas emitting flask caught her attention after a few good 10 or 20 seconds.

Chemistry is green and brown, also transparent because that's what most chemical (that are handed to an undergraduate like me) appear to be.
Same thing happened in my class (in high school though) despite the warning of the teacher as he left the room: "Do not touch anything. Put everything down until I get back."

Followed, once he got back, with a variation of "what a surprise. I gave them volatile chemicals, and I left them alone." Also, a wonderful smell that would stay in the hall for a week.

I think we once had a student catch a sink on fire when he tried to hide the chemicals he was playing with.

Hm, high school teacher in my school (and my state) has strict regulation about labs and chemical handling, that the teacher must remain in the room all time when chemicals are present. This rule apply to biology later when my school's hall way was covered by fruit flies.
"Me no speak English" makes perfect sense.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:11 pm UTC

Chemistry--green, I think the cheesy radioactive stuff reason along with a green notebook

Interestingly, I made sure that all my calculus notebooks since 11th grade were all black so I could keep them color coded.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Mortons4ck

Postby Mortons4ck » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:47 pm UTC

Predominately violet. Because the letter C is violet. Followed by golden rod for "H" and orange for "E"....

.....Damn you, Grapheme–Color Synesthesia!!

LeroyBrandybuck

Postby LeroyBrandybuck » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

I associate chemistry with green, but every science subject is green to me (except maybe physics). Math is blue, history is red, and literature is kinda off-white.
"Large things are made from small things. Significance is cumulative, but not always obvious." - Jim Butcher, Academ's Fury

scikidus

Postby scikidus » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

It's not exactly a color, but I directly connect "chemistry" to some variation of this image:

Spoiler:
Goooooo, precipitate!

I guess that I'll go with the color of Lead (II) Iodide and say yellow.
Happy hollandaise!

"The universe is a figment of its own imagination" -Douglas Adams

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:57 am UTC

White, but with marks and discolourations.
Nothing managed to be properly white again after being exposed to the chemistry labs. Benchtops, labcoats, classroom ceilings, you name it.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

chaconne

Postby chaconne » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:42 am UTC

Green, because of the stereotypical green acid (as others have stated), and because the folder I used in my high school chemistry class was green.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:50 am UTC

For me, sort of a light blue-gray, like the lighter background color here on the forum. 'Cause it seems sciency.
Exit the vampires' castle.

DNA

Postby DNA » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:05 pm UTC

poxic wrote:I think of yellow, actually, probably because of sulfur.

same, but because radioactive and danger signs

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
1337goose wrote:Definitely bright green, like emerald green. And I too, for a reason I cannot explain, associate electrons with being blue.

What? Electrons are yellow, man. Protons are bluish-violet. Neutrons are red. I would bet large piles of money that there is an illustration like this in a science book I read as a child that's causing this mental image.

we've read the same book Elderberry, those colours feel so natural to me.
CATUG

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:39 pm UTC

My chemistry notebook is green, so therefore chemistry is also green.
Also, Maths is red, biology orange, physics and spanish yellow, english blue, and computer science black.

DNA wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:
1337goose wrote:Definitely bright green, like emerald green. And I too, for a reason I cannot explain, associate electrons with being blue.

What? Electrons are yellow, man. Protons are bluish-violet. Neutrons are red. I would bet large piles of money that there is an illustration like this in a science book I read as a child that's causing this mental image.

we've read the same book Elderberry, those colours feel so natural to me.

What!? neutrons are blue/purple, protons red and electrons yellow/green! How dare you!
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

SimpleSimon

Postby SimpleSimon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:26 am UTC

I was thinking purple, I remember always doing titrations and watching for the solution to turn purple.

Also it rhymes with burple
Check out my Blog

http://simplesciman.wordpress.com/

Its not shit, promise

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:07 am UTC

SimpleSimon wrote:I was thinking purple, I remember always doing titrations and watching for the solution to turn purple.

Also it rhymes with burple

Oh, potassium permanganate. How I loathe thee.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

tototutu

Postby tototutu » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:27 am UTC

i think it's transparent red/rose like a Co^(2+) solution.

tototutu

Postby tototutu » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:33 am UTC

and biology is yellow like the fat that always blocks the view when dissecting a rat..
physics is blue (because i usually gazed at the sky through the window during physics :p)
and math is orange because it's so fun :)

Return to “Science”