Secateurs wrote:Same thing happened in my class (in high school though) despite the warning of the teacher as he left the room: "Do not touch anything. Put everything down until I get back."manmantong2000 wrote:in my General Chemistry 101 lab, one girl in my class think it is ok to put copper (Cu) in nitric acid (HNO3) in the open classroom with 20 other people. The sizzling sounds, bubbling sounds, heat release, green-turning, brown, pungent, deadly gas emitting flask caught her attention after a few good 10 or 20 seconds.
Chemistry is green and brown, also transparent because that's what most chemical (that are handed to an undergraduate like me) appear to be.
Followed, once he got back, with a variation of "what a surprise. I gave them volatile chemicals, and I left them alone." Also, a wonderful smell that would stay in the hall for a week.
I think we once had a student catch a sink on fire when he tried to hide the chemicals he was playing with.