Script Swaps Poor YouTube Comments w/ Feynman Quotes

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

pccalhoun91

Script Swaps Poor YouTube Comments w/ Feynman Quotes

Postby pccalhoun91 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:52 am UTC

Direct link
GreaseMonkey Addon (required)

This script actively hides comments that lack capital letters at the start of each sentence, contain "lol," and other moronic examples of bad grammar. It has genuinely made me a happier person...

Screenshot from the lamest video I could find:
Sufficiently conservative rhetoric will be indistinguishable from satire...

Terpsichore

Re: Script Swaps Poor YouTube Comments w/ Feynman Quotes

Postby Terpsichore » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:52 pm UTC

This has totally my day. Thank-you.
Can... can I give you a hug?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:34 pm UTC

It would be very easy to greatly improve their false-negative rate with only a minimal increase in false positives - replace all youtube comments with Feynman quotes.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:05 am UTC

The thing I'm waiting for is something like this that filters based on the stupidity of the content of the post, rather than the grammar of the post. There are some people who write decent stuff, yet get filtered out because they don't use capital letters or something.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

James Scott-Brown

Postby James Scott-Brown » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

hideki101 wrote:The thing I'm waiting for is something like this that filters based on the stupidity of the content of the post, rather than the grammar of the post. There are some people who write decent stuff, yet get filtered out because they don't use capital letters or something.

Of course, getting a computer to comprehend statements written in natural language, then identify their accuracy and intelligence is highly non-trivial. But it would be interesting to compare this algorithm (capitalization analysis/keyword matching against a predetermined list) with a Bayesian filter like those used in spam-filtering.

minno

Postby minno » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:15 pm UTC

the problem with filtering based on capital letters is that some posts may be well thought-out and readable, with the only problem being that they did not include a capital letter to begin the post, and they were only one sentence.

^ Like that one.
If you fight fire with fire, you'll get twice as burned.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

minno wrote:It doesn't seem to me that this fantastically marvelous universe, this tremendous range of time and space and different kinds of animals, and all the different planets, and all these atoms with all their motions, and so on, all this complicated thing can merely be a stage so that God can watch human beings struggle for good and evil — which is the view that religion has. The stage is too big for the drama.

^ Like that one.

Huh? Looks fine to me.

minno

Postby minno » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:27 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:
minno wrote:It doesn't seem to me that this fantastically marvelous universe, this tremendous range of time and space and different kinds of animals, and all the different planets, and all these atoms with all their motions, and so on, all this complicated thing can merely be a stage so that God can watch human beings struggle for good and evil — which is the view that religion has. The stage is too big for the drama.

^ Like that one.

Huh? Looks fine to me.

minno wrote:The problem with filtering based on capital letters is that some posts may be well thought-out and readable, with the only problem being that they did not include a capital letter to begin the post, and they were only one sentence.

^ Like that one.

That's what I said, except the first letter was lowercase. Did you accidentally have your script running?

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:55 pm UTC

minno wrote:
Xanthir wrote:

^ Like that one.

Huh? Looks fine to me.

minno wrote:The problem with filtering based on capital letters is that some posts may be well thought-out and readable, with the only problem being that they did not include a capital letter to begin the post, and they were only one sentence.

^ Like that one.

That's what I said, except the first letter was lowercase. Did you accidentally have your script running?

I predict that you will feel very silly quite soon.

Mr_Rose

Postby Mr_Rose » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:10 pm UTC

Whee! Loving it. Will re-post to ApolloHoax.net forums too, if you don't mind?
Microevolution is a term — when used by creationists — that is the evolutionary equivalent of the belief that the mechanism you use to walk from your bedroom to the kitchen is insufficient to get you from New York to Los Angeles.

minno

Postby minno » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

Lycur wrote:
minno wrote:
Xanthir wrote:

^ Like that one.

Huh? Looks fine to me.

^ Like that one.

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that you were kidding, but it's still an issue.

Another problem is if the sentence starts with a number, it can have all correct capitalization, but your script will still stop it.

Talith
Proved the Goldbach Conjecture

Postby Talith » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:00 am UTC

[imath][/imath]
minno wrote:
Spoiler:
Lycur wrote:
minno wrote:
Xanthir wrote:

^ Like that one.

Huh? Looks fine to me.

^ Like that one.

Another problem is if the sentence starts with a number, it can have all correct capitalization, but your script will still stop it.

Iirc it's poor form to start a sentence with a number.

Mr_Rose

Postby Mr_Rose » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:16 am UTC

Talith wrote:[imath][/imath]
minno wrote:
Spoiler:
Lycur wrote:
minno wrote:
Xanthir wrote:

^ Like that one.

Huh? Looks fine to me.

^ Like that one.

But also very difficult to avoid when addressing someone by 'name' on the internet, when their 'name' could easily start with a number. Similarly, how is one supposed to achieve an ordered list with this in place?
Microevolution is a term — when used by creationists — that is the evolutionary equivalent of the belief that the mechanism you use to walk from your bedroom to the kitchen is insufficient to get you from New York to Los Angeles.

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:53 am UTC

Mr_Rose wrote:
Talith wrote:[imath][/imath]
minno wrote:
Spoiler:
Lycur wrote:
minno wrote:
Xanthir wrote:

^ Like that one.

Huh? Looks fine to me.

^ Like that one.

But also very difficult to avoid when addressing someone by 'name' on the internet, when the' could easily start with a number. Similarly, how is one supposed to achieve aeir 'namn ordered list with this in place?

I actually looked at the source code. The script uses the regex ^\s+[a-z], which matches any post that starts with a lower-case character (excluding white-space). This means that any post that doesn't have a lower-case letter in-front isn't picked up.
But according to the other rules, you need to include at least one capital letter. If you do this you won't be filtered.
The tests, straight from the script:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

var tests = [
    [/\b(lolz?|rotfl|lmfao|[ha]{2,})\b/i, 'Laughing out loud'],
    [function (s) {return (s.toUpperCase() == s)}, 'All capital letters'],
    [function (s) {return (s.toLowerCase() == s)}, 'No capital letters'],
    [function (s) {return (s.split(/\s+/).length < 4)}, 'One word reply'],
    [/^\s+[a-z]/, 'Didn\'t start with a capital letter'],
    [/\bi\b/, 'i not I'],
    [/\bu\b/, 'u not You'],
    [/\b(Oh me yarm)\b/i, 'TLAs'],
    [/(\S)\1{3,}/, 'Contains repeated characters'],
    [/\b(retard)/i, 'Used a naughty word'],
];

Talith
Proved the Goldbach Conjecture

Postby Talith » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:52 am UTC

I think the 'i not I' rule is maybe going a bit over board but who am i to question pedantry on the internet? :D.Anyone spot it?

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

Maybe there could be some sort of flag system, where each offense trips a flag, but only after a certain number of flags are tripped does it replace the post.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:47 pm UTC

You all keep worrying about the false-positive rate. Reducing false-positives won't be helpful. Go read a Youtube comment thread again. I'll wait.

All right, you're back. Now, it should be obvious that you could replace *all* Youtube comments and only risk a single good comment every page or two.

Thus the correct thing to do is look for *good* indicators, and replace it if it *doesn't* match some of these. (Alternately, just add more bad-comment tests, and continue replacing them if they fail a single test.)

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

But reading bad comments is 1/2 the fun of it. If you are trying to avoid reading bad comments, why are you even reading comments on youtube at all?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:24 am UTC

Sometimes you accidentally glance down, or just scroll out of habit. It's good to have a shield for when that happens.

Return to “Science”