Biology Awesomeness!

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

sir2you

Biology Awesomeness!

Postby sir2you » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:56 am UTC

I'd like to dedicate this thread to resources where one can learn/marvel at about biology awesomeness. Post a link or sumthin.

I'll start: Talking bacteria! (video on TED).
Epic animation (White blood cells are boring? Hah!)

Random aside... A few minutes of mindless clicking led to this: WTF is that? Fake? Apparently yes. Still funny. Keep a straight face during the last five seconds and you get free raptor immunity for a year.
Last edited by sir2you on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:44 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

Mokele

Re: Biology Awesomeness!

Postby Mokele » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:47 pm UTC

"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

qetzal

Postby qetzal » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

If you're interested in the amazing diversity of microbes, I highly recommend Small Things Considered.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:17 pm UTC

Ophioglossid ferns can have up to 1,260 chromosomes. That's more than twenty-seven chromosomes for every human chromosome, and 315 chromosomes for every Arabidopsis thaliana chromosome. 315 times as many!
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:29 pm UTC

The Australian Rocket Frog can leap over 50 times it's body length, for jumps over 7 feet. That would be like a human leaping 150 feet from a standing start.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:41 pm UTC

Another random thought... You know how there are lots more bacteria cells than me cells in my body... Well, what is the weight ratio? I haven't a clue. Google here I come.

First result: 2 to 9 pounds of bacteria per person. Majority of results tend to 8 pounds.
„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•* "There are two ways to live your life; as if nothing is *•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„
*•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„*•›„„‹•**•›„ a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." - Einstein „‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*„‹•**•›„„‹•*

Coffee

Postby Coffee » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:59 pm UTC

Here's another version of that inner life of a cell video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCHre3-_KjA
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:52 pm UTC

It was some kind of mollusk. I forget the name. Gumboot? Maybe a chiton? I've never seen one pulsate that fast though. Not sure why they poured a cola on it, that just seems kind of cruel and obnoxious.

Self assembling polymers can mechanosense and self-regulate their assembly, as well as affect the outcome of gross cell behavior. Conformational changes of some proteins can induce entirely different signaling behavior.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:51 pm UTC

I read a book recently called "The Coil of Life" and it is basically a history of the discoveries that paved the way for modern biology. I think the coolest experiments I read about were Driesch's with sea urchin larvae. Very interesting.

Link

Postby Link » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

The nuclear DNA of a single human, uncoiled and put end-to-end, is 133 times as long as the distance to the sun. The DNA of all humans put end-to-end would be around 14 million light-years long.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

sir2you wrote:Random aside... A few minutes of mindless clicking led to this: WTF is that? Fake? Keep a straight face during the last five seconds and you get free raptor immunity for a year.

Fake. It's made of silicone, rubber and covered with corn syrup slime.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

Whether or not that one is fake, there are mollusks that look like that.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:22 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Whether or not that one is fake, there are mollusks that look like that.

Um, no, not with that large suspiciously-vulva-like central hole. The mollusk foot is a single unit - any holes for excretion, repsiration, feeding etc are located elsewhere, not smack in the middle of it.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:43 pm UTC

It's driving me crazy that I can't find the mollusk I'm thinking of that looks almost identical to the one they were poking.
But look at this. The underside of some untorted mollusks feet is NOT a flat, homogenous deal. I'll agree that their's looked suspiciously Georgia O'keffe-esque, and was moving oddly, but the underside set off less alarms then the pulsations. I've seen mollusks that looked almost exactly like that thing.

iop

Postby iop » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

Link wrote:The nuclear DNA of a single human, uncoiled and put end-to-end, is 133 times as long as the distance to the sun. The DNA of all humans put end-to-end would be around 14 million light-years long.

And we still haven't figured out how it gets compacted so that it fits into a cell.

psychosomaticism

Postby psychosomaticism » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:35 pm UTC

iop wrote:
Link wrote:The nuclear DNA of a single human, uncoiled and put end-to-end, is 133 times as long as the distance to the sun. The DNA of all humans put end-to-end would be around 14 million light-years long.

And we still haven't figured out how it gets compacted so that it fits into a cell.

I think we have a pretty good idea on a numberofwaysit gets that small. It's still pretty cool that it does, though.

My awesome-biology post will be transgenic organisms, specifically messing with an animal's color, like glofish

Nautilus

Postby Nautilus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:41 am UTC

Rotifers. I mean, just wow. Life with wheels.
My flagella bring all the boys to the yard

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:06 am UTC

Nautilus wrote:Rotifers. I mean, just wow. Life with wheels.

psst:
wikipedia wrote:The word "rotifer" is derived from a Latin word meaning "wheel-bearer,"[7] due to the corona around the mouth that in motion resemble a wheel (though the organ does not actually rotate).
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:12 am UTC

Flying snakes!*

*I've actually kept a few of these, very alert and active little critters.

Shokk

Postby Shokk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:54 am UTC

Mokele wrote:Flying snakes!*

Hey! I remember answering some asinine questions about those on a test!
I have a pair of pants.

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:12 am UTC

Shokk wrote:
Mokele wrote:Flying snakes!*

Hey! I remember answering some asinine questions about those on a test!

Really? Do you remember any details? I know the guy who did pretty much all the recent work on them; he'll be stoked to know he's part of a standardized test.

iop

Postby iop » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:05 pm UTC

psychosomaticism wrote:
iop wrote:
The DNA of all humans put end-to-end would be around 14 million light-years long.

I think we have a pretty good idea on a numberofwaysit gets that small. It's still pretty cool that it does, though.

This:
DNA packed into solenoids, unlike DNA in nucleosome form, is not transcriptionally active. With more packing, solenoids are able to become increasingly more packed, forming chromosomes. At this point, solenoids coil around each other to form a loop (anywhere from 20 to 80,000 base pairs), followed by a rosette (consisting of six connected loops), then a coil, and at last, two chromatids. The end result is the metaphase chromosome. The completely condensed chromatin has a diameter of up to 600 nm.

is almost all handwaving. To my knowledge (we study condensation in our lab), no one has actually demonstrated this, or knows how this works.

sir2you

Postby sir2you » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:46 am UTC

Try'n kill these little beasties! Cracked isn't exactly the most scientifically rigorous resource, but still, those things are neat. The suspended animation cricket especially. Talk about brain freeze! =) Cryptobiosis in general is cool actually.

Return to “Science”