Cubic Zirconia vs Diamonds

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Minerva

Re: Cubic Zirconia vs Diamonds

Postby Minerva » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:25 pm UTC

A lot of really interesting devices in the fields of photonics, quantum computing, quantum communications and cryptography, nanotechnology, and advanced microelectronics are made today using thin films of artificial diamond.

For example, NV- centres in diamonds are extremely interesting with regard to using them as photonically-addressable qubits for quantum computing, and as single-photon sources for quantum communications.
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

lbarton

Postby lbarton » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

If it's for an engagement ring the cost of either option pales into insignificance compared to what's around the corner for you. :lol:

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:02 pm UTC

I remeber reading somewhere that DeBeers is quaking in terror at the thought that we may soon be able to maufacture artificial gemstone quality diamonds cheaper than natural ones.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:01 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:I remeber reading somewhere that DeBeers is quaking in terror at the thought that we may soon be able to maufacture artificial gemstone quality diamonds cheaper than natural ones.

That's been possible for over a decade now. DeBeers is responding by emphasizing that only natural diamonds count, and is training jewelers in how to tell natural from manufactured.

Charlie!

Postby Charlie! » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:29 am UTC

Carnildo wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:I remeber reading somewhere that DeBeers is quaking in terror at the thought that we may soon be able to maufacture artificial gemstone quality diamonds cheaper than natural ones.

That's been possible for over a decade now. DeBeers is responding by emphasizing that only natural diamonds count, and is training jewelers in how to tell natural from manufactured.

Saying they're emphasizing that point makes it sound like they weren't the marketing department for it in the first place :P
Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"

makkel

Postby makkel » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:13 pm UTC

I have a friend who panned the gold for his wedding ring in a burn up in the hills behind the village they lived in. As Scotland is not famed for its gold deposits, it took him six years to get enough. However she was very pleased, and it was (time excluded) both free and the real thing.
I think the motivation for a certain item can influence its reception hugely. I don't imagine his wife would have been quite as impressed if he'd just bought the ring. Although she would have got it a LOT sooner!

Velifer

Postby Velifer » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

Relationships are hard. Marriage is hard. They take work and effort and maintenance. Refer to the math threads for marital bliss optimization strategies1. Starting out married life in debt will only make things more stressful and reduce the Mbliss while maximizing Tcouch sleeping.

Rings and cakes and big weddings are nice things to have in a photo album, but decide what's really important and do that. We had a pig roast and a big tent, we were married by the village mayor, and the attendants were picked out of the crowd of our family and friends (one wore jeans). Our marriage isn't about symbols for other people. Neither of us wears our rings.

CZ or diamonds is a false dichotomy. There are some truly meaningful and beautiful ideas from other posters to show that.

1 Not responsible for total relationship implosion after asking math geeks for relationship advice.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies have nothing to lose but their chains -Marx

Charlie!

Postby Charlie! » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:30 am UTC

Velifer wrote:maximizing Tcouch sleeping.

That's when your spouse sets you on fire while you sleep on the couch :P
Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"

Fume Troll

Postby Fume Troll » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:44 am UTC

I really like the Scottish gold story. I'd read about that (perhaps it happened more than once) and thought it was excellent. Hats off to that man.

makkel

Postby makkel » Sun May 02, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

Aye i imagine the story concerned the same place, Helmsdale (sounds very LOTR).It's a reasonably well known place for gold panning. Very interesting geology around there, my geophysicist missus tells me. It was one of the (very) few place in the HIghlands you could mine coal as well i believe. Boadly speaking Jurassic I seem to recall.
http://www.helmsdale.org/gold-panning.html

Return to “Science”