What's the deal with CO?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

xooll

What's the deal with CO?

Postby xooll » Wed May 30, 2007 2:50 am UTC

From my high-school-chemistry-six-years-ago understanding of it, a carbon atom is capable of forming four covalent bonds. An oxygen atom can do two.
So carbon dioxide works fine, but how does carbon monoxide work?
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed May 30, 2007 3:02 am UTC

They can both form 4 covalent bonds. IIRC, CO has a sigma bond, 2 pi bonds and a lone pair on each atom. Sharing of the electrons isn't dependent on where the electrons come from, that only makes it coordinate covalent or not.
Sapere Aude.

Xial

Postby Xial » Wed May 30, 2007 2:31 pm UTC

Also, although Carbon is capable of forming 4 covalent bonds, quadruple bonds do not exist.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed May 30, 2007 2:45 pm UTC

All I know is that atomic bonding isn't nearly as simple as you were taught in high school. They gloss over the pathological and nonstandard cases, which do exist.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed May 30, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:All I know is that atomic bonding isn't nearly as simple as you were taught in high school. They gloss over the pathological and nonstandard cases, which do exist.

Like xenon pentafluoride.

Anyway, Wikipedia is, as always, a good place to start.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Peripatetic

Postby Peripatetic » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:12 am UTC

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

Right. I remember hearing about that but had forgotten what the chemical was.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “Science”