ED x 2: "WTF do we do with all our crap thread"

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

__Kit

ED x 2: "WTF do we do with all our crap thread"

Postby __Kit » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:58 pm UTC

I asked my father this the other day, he said it was a stupid idea, my brother asked the same question the very NEXT DAY, that was creepy, we hadn't talked about it, but it was the same question and my idea wasn't influenced by and external source.

So anyway my idea is to tip our worlds pollution into volcanoes! What do you think about it?
Last edited by __Kit on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:12 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
=]

Memo

Postby Memo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:01 am UTC

I doubt it would be cost-effective to transport all our garbage to the top of a volcano.

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:02 am UTC

Good idea: Get rid of it quick, out of sight out of mind.

Bad idea: Things like burning plastic (which compromises a huge amount of waste), etc. etc. all contain highly toxic things which when burned cause nasty diseases and environmental problems.

Now burying it in the oceans, there's an idea! :D

I hereby nominate this to be a "WTF do we do will all our crap" thread.

**edited for typing too quickly, not focusing, and generally being a Mental TurdBrain this evening: I hereby nominate this to be a "WTF do we do with all our crap" thread.
Last edited by chrispy1 on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:04 am UTC

The whole problem with garbage isn't land area to put it (we still have plenty of free land up here in Canadia the problem is the emissions it gives off. That and putting more matter into a volcanoe would probably make it erupt quicker.

This is kind of an interesting science problem.. *moves thread to Science Forum*

I would say that putting garbage into a volcanoe would be bad because (a) we don't burn garbage because that would make way too much C, CO, CO_2 too quickly and that by putting extra matter into a volcanoe you are increasing the likelihood that the volcanoe will erupt.

Discuss.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:07 am UTC

Oh, OK, what about that giant hole someone posted in another thread?

I thought of posting this after I thought, giant mushroom = end to world hunger

/nativity
=]

chrispy1

Postby chrispy1 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:10 am UTC

um, for the sake of not being fun of, could someone please fix the glaring spelling error in the title, which was taken from my post?

[creaking of doors opening] ...and the jokes come pouring in...
Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.

Memo

Postby Memo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:12 am UTC

I remember that a Captain Planet episode was about this.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:18 am UTC

Win?
/attempt at humour

ED: I am annoyed, my brother deleted all my bookmarks!
=]

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:45 am UTC

Thermal depolymerize most of it to turn it into crude oil. Then use the oil to shoot it into space. Then take the remaining oil and sell it.

EDIT: More succintly:
1. Thermal Depolymerize
2. Shoot into space
3. ???
4. PROFIT!

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:18 am UTC

you know what would be cool? take some depleated uranium or something drop it down a volcano with a probe on top to learn about the earth's core

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:06 am UTC

4=5 wrote:you know what would be cool? take some depleated uranium or something drop it down a volcano with a probe on top to learn about the earth's core

That'd be one hell of a probe. I doubt anything we can make would get down very far before the heat melted it or the pressure crushed it.

I know this is gona be a boring suggestion, but the best thing to do with our trash would be to recycle everything we can, and turn what we can't recycle into compost. Gordon already covered the bad part about burning it, as for launching it into space... well you've gota look pretty far into the future, but remember what's on the planet is all we have to work with, so you're gona want to keep everything around.
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:22 am UTC

Swordfish wrote:
4=5 wrote:you know what would be cool? take some depleated uranium or something drop it down a volcano with a probe on top to learn about the earth's core

That'd be one hell of a probe. I doubt anything we can make would get down very far before the heat melted it or the pressure crushed it.

I know this is gona be a boring suggestion, but the best thing to do with our trash would be to recycle everything we can, and turn what we can't recycle into compost. Gordon already covered the bad part about burning it, as for launching it into space... well you've gota look pretty far into the future, but remember what's on the planet is all we have to work with, so you're gona want to keep everything around.
what I REALLY want to do is make creatures that metabolise it into a more usable form :D it like recycling, but Faster

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

it like recycling, but Faster
Technically, it is recycling, just a better method.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:08 pm UTC

bbctol wrote:Thermal depolymerize most of it to turn it into crude oil. Then use the oil to shoot it into space. Then take the remaining oil and sell it.

EDIT: More succintly:
1. Thermal Depolymerize
2. Shoot into space
3. ???
4. PROFIT!

sounds like a good way to very quickly put a lot of greenhouse gases into the upper atmosphere. on the other hand maybe if we fire the trash all from the same side of the planet we can alter the orbit of the planet enough that it wont matter
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Swordfish
Weathermaaaaaaan!

Postby Swordfish » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:29 am UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:sounds like a good way to very quickly put a lot of greenhouse gases into the upper atmosphere. on the other hand maybe if we fire the trash all from the same side of the planet we can alter the orbit of the planet enough that it wont matter

Then we can name the new week of the year "Robot Party Week!"
"If I had a nickel for every time I was wrong, I'd be broke." Stephen Colbert

Return to “Science”