Game Buzzers

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

lu6cifer

Game Buzzers

Postby lu6cifer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:52 pm UTC

I wanted to purchase a few sets of game buzzers to train my math team, but the prices I encountered were outrageous--about $150 for an 8-player buzzer system! I was shocked that something so simple could cost so much.

So I was wondering, what makes the design of game buzzers so expensive? Is there some costly part required in the circuitry?

Furthermore, would it be feasible to make your own buzzer system for around $20-$50?
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

Interactive Civilian

Re: Game Buzzers

Postby Interactive Civilian » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:58 pm UTC

That really shouldn't be hard. A simple push button, a piezoelectric speaker, and a probably simple circuit should cover it, assuming all you need is something to make noise when a person pushes it.

A google search for this kind of thing looks promising.

I guess it depends on how complex you want to make it. For example, adding features to lock out other buzzers when one is activated, adding lights in addition to buzzers, etc. But still, it doesn't *seem* like it should be that complex. :?
I (x2+y2-1)3-x2y3=0 science.

lu6cifer

Postby lu6cifer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

Yeah, we do want lights/LEDs and a lock-out mechanism. And like you said, it doesn't seem too complicated, but for some reason, they're really expensive. My friend thinks that these buzzer-selling companies are just ripping people off...
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

jjfortherear

Postby jjfortherear » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

Pretty easy if you know any electronics. http://members.fortunecity.com/ait77/jeopardy.html will do your logic, then just connect each output to an led, and connect all of them to one speaker in parallel (only need one speaker, need one light for each person).

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/wav ... lator.html There's your buzzer. If you want to be able to adjust the frequency (between like 100 and 2k hz), make R1 around 1k, and r2 a 1M potentiometer. If you've got access to an electronics lab you should be able to knock this out in a few hours.
Qaanol wrote:Actually this could be a great idea. See, you just have to bill the mission to an extrasolar planet as a mission, and then let all the fundamentalists from all religions be the missionaries.

Return to “Science”