Emergency question in the midst of an argument with a friend

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

BlochWave

Emergency question in the midst of an argument with a friend

Postby BlochWave » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:43 am UTC

Can a magnetic field penetrate duct tape? Like if I had a magnet and some metal and I put the metal against the magnet but the duct tape was between them, would it still attract it? Assume a magnet of typical household strength and normal duct tape!

I'll tell you which side of the argument I'm on after I'm sure I'm right(or wrong but capable of lying)

xooll

Postby xooll » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:53 am UTC

Yup, the duct tape wouldn't really do much.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:14 am UTC

I highly doubt that the duct tape would interrupt the magnetic field. If you stuck duct tape to your fridge, your average magnet would still stick.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Solt

Postby Solt » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:40 am UTC

IIRC, very few materials can actually attenuate a magnetic field. I think superconductors might be able to, but otherwise they just pass through. So unless you are dealing with exotic materials, you only have to worry about distance.

Duct tape definitely won't have a noticeable effect.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:08 am UTC

Solt wrote:IIRC, very few materials can actually attenuate a magnetic field. I think superconductors might be able to, but otherwise they just pass through. So unless you are dealing with exotic materials, you only have to worry about distance.

Duct tape definitely won't have a noticeable effect.

yes type 1 superconductors will completely block a mag field while type 2 will allow some flux through. both will stop superconducting if the mag field gets too strong however.

iirc all materials attenuate to some degree due to the diamagnetic effect, but this is a very small effect. ferro and paramagnetic materials can attenuate slightly more i think, but will never block a field completely as they will have their own fields. duct tape will almost certainly be diamagnetic and have very little effect.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

thedancecmmndr

Postby thedancecmmndr » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:12 pm UTC

Well, this arguement certainly seems kind of one sided.
I think it depends on the situation. Since duct tape can solve any problem, it would only stop the magnetic field if you needed it to.

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

thedancecmmndr wrote:Well, this arguement certainly seems kind of one sided.
I think it depends on the situation. Since duct tape can solve any problem, it would only stop the magnetic field if you needed it to.

If you wrapped enough duct tape around the magnet that the thickness of the duct tape is equal to the actual distance of the magnetic field, that is...
This space intentionally left blank.

Annirak

Postby Annirak » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:54 pm UTC

Ferromagnetic materials will alter the shape of the magnetic field.

With a horseshoe magnet, for instance, if you put the two poles in direct contact with the same piece of ferromagnetic material (like a nail), there will be virtually no magnetic field which exists outside of the magnet and the nail.

So in essence, you can't block a magnetic field, but you can short it out.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:15 am UTC

IIRC my physics textbook had a table of common substances with value of magnetism blockage (can't remember the proper name) Semiconductors aside, wax has a slightly higher effect than other common materials, but still very little.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Emergency question in the midst of an argument with a fr

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:02 am UTC

BlochWave wrote:Can a magnetic field penetrate duct tape? Like if I had a magnet and some metal and I put the metal against the magnet but the duct tape was between them, would it still attract it? Assume a magnet of typical household strength and normal duct tape!

I'll tell you which side of the argument I'm on after I'm sure I'm right(or wrong but capable of lying)

In general, yes, it can penetrate duct tape.

However, general refrigerator-type magnets are made in layers in such a way that the field strength falls off much faster than if you had a single, solid magnet to work with. So if the duct tape makes a thick enough layer between them, the strength of the field will have decreased noticeably.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Return to “Science”