photon size

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: photon size

Postby doogly » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:49 pm UTC

I tend to think of them much less as points in configuration space than as rays in hilbert space.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby ultramadscientist » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:59 am UTC

Wouldn't the photon's "size" be approximately the plank length? A string would vibrate to create a particle, and a string is at the minimum a plank length in diameter. Being massless I would hope that a photon holds the minimum size.
ultramadscientist

Postby POMPEYEAGLE » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

Hi,

having originated the original question a long time ago, the conclusion I get from this debate is that nobody knows the answer. Is that a fair conclusion?

Phil.
POMPEYEAGLE

Postby Yakk » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

No, that is not correct.

A better answer is you are asking a question akin to "how tall is the economy". You are using an ambiguous term (tall, or in your case size) on something (the economy, or in your case a photon) that makes your question move between meaninglessness and ambiguity.

The "nobody knows the answer" implies that your question was well formed.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby oxoiron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

UK_system7 wrote:It [a photon] has a curious relation with electron orbitals in that it likes interacting with electron clouds of similar cross-section. Thus visible light has a wavelength roughly of 10 to the minus 10 metres, which happens to be the size of related electron clouds in an atom.
When you say "roughly", how many orders of magnitude error are you giving yourself? I ask, because you seem to be implying that visible light has a wavelength of about 0.1 nm, which is clearly not true (unless you live in a world with a vastly different refractive index than the one in my world, in which case I retract my statement).

EDIT: Changed 1 nm to 0.1 nm
Last edited by oxoiron on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams
oxoiron

Postby Charlie! » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:48 pm UTC

ultramadscientist wrote:Wouldn't the photon's "size" be approximately the plank length? A string would vibrate to create a particle, and a string is at the minimum a plank length in diameter. Being massless I would hope that a photon holds the minimum size.

If a photon behaved like a wavepacket with a diameter of a planck length, what size orifice would we need in order to see photons diffract? At what size orifices do we start to see photons diffract in the laboratory? This is the sort of empirical gut check that should have told you that this guess wouldn't work.

And remember that size is not mass. In our everyday life lighter things are usually smaller, but the fact that size and mass are different units should make you stop and think "is that a universal law, or is there some mediating factor that might not be present for fundamental particles?" The mediating factor is density, and density indeed does not work intuitively for fundamental particles. If you wanted to make a sculpture of a fundamental particle you would use clay or wood or metal, and all have pretty much the same density, so a light particle would have to be smaller. But a photon isn't made out of clay, it's made out of electromagnetic fields, which can have any density at all - and so the relation between size and mass breaks down.

POMPEYEAGLE wrote:Hi,
having originated the original question a long time ago, the conclusion I get from this debate is that nobody knows the answer. Is that a fair conclusion?

Given the state of the thread it's not an unreasonable conclusion, but it's incorrect. "What is the size of a photon" is like the question "what is the depth of a poet?" It doesn't make quite enough sense to have one exactly right answer, but it has several almost right answers ("about a foot and a half", "the wisdom she imparts to her writing"), and unlimited wrong answers ("a lightyear"). You may have to do a bit of legwork to separate the almost right answers from the wrong answers in this thread, but you should think of it like an adventure :P
Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"
Charlie!

Postby Xami » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:36 pm UTC

Charlie! wrote:Given the state of the thread it's not an unreasonable conclusion, but it's incorrect. "What is the size of a photon" is like the question "what is the depth of a poet?" It doesn't make quite enough sense to have one exactly right answer, but it has several almost right answers ("about a foot and a half", "the wisdom she imparts to her writing"), and unlimited wrong answers ("a lightyear"). You may have to do a bit of legwork to separate the almost right answers from the wrong answers in this thread, but you should think of it like an adventure :P

There are exactly the same number of right answers as wrong answers to any question. I say nothing of how useful the answers are. I also don't know in the case that the question does not have a correct answer.
Xami

Postby Charlie! » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:34 am UTC

Xami wrote:There are exactly the same number of right answers as wrong answers to any question.

This bald assertion cannot withstand the power of... Multiple Choice Exaaaaaaaaams!
Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"
Charlie!

Postby thoughtfully » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:27 pm UTC

Charlie! wrote:The mediating factor is density, and density indeed does not work intuitively for fundamental particles.

It's not only for fundamental particles that the usual intuitions about density fail. Degenerate matter behaves pretty oddly, too. For instance, brown dwarfs and large gas giants are all roughly the same size, although their masses can vary by a couple orders of magnitude. That's why Jupiter and Saturn aren't so dissimilar in size, but Jupiter is over three times as massive, although they're made of basically the same stuff!

Saturn is actually less dense than water.. it would float in a giant ocean, if such a thing made sense!

Degenerate stellar remnants such as white dwarfs and neutron stars actually shrink as they get heavier.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
thoughtfully

Postby Xami » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:11 pm UTC

Charlie! wrote:
Xami wrote:There are exactly the same number of right answers as wrong answers to any question.

This bald assertion cannot withstand the power of... Multiple Choice Exaaaaaaaaams!

Xami wrote:I say nothing of how useful the answers are. I also don't know in the case that the question does not have a correct answer.

Given C is what gets you the good stuff
"Correct" answers
Not A
Not B
C
Not D

"Wrong" Answers
A
B
Not C
D
Xami

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

Xami wrote:Given C is what gets you the good stuff
"Correct" answers
Not A
Not B
C
Not D

If by "correct" we mean a necessary and sufficient answer for success, then three of these are "incorrect" and would have to be merged into "not A, B or C" in which case, again there are more incorrect answers than correct ones.
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby Xami » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

Xami wrote:I say nothing of how useful the answers are.

Not A is a distinctly different answer than Not B. Both are true statements, not that you would get points though.
Xami

Postby Carlington » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:12 am UTC

Xami wrote:
Charlie! wrote:

Xami wrote:I say nothing of how useful the answers are. I also don't know in the case that the question does not have a correct answer.

"Correct" answers
Not A
Not B
C
Not D

"Wrong" Answers
A
B
Not C
D

If not A is correct, then B, C and D are correct. [B,C,D] > C.
Kewangji wrote:Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork."
One day, I'm going to come home and find you lying on the floor. I'll ask what's wrong and you'll say "It finished...he stopped updating...it's over..."
No-one does a slice like Big Rico's. No-one.
Carlington
Folk punch me a lot

Postby Xami » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

Carlington (The Aussie) wrote:
Xami wrote:
Charlie! wrote:

"Correct" answers
Not A
Not B
C
Not D

"Wrong" Answers
A
B
Not C
D

If not A is correct, then B, C and D are correct. [B,C,D] > C.

No, B, C, OR D would be correct.
And equally, Not B, C, or D would be incorrect.

Am I getting trolled here?
Every question has equal right and wrong answers. For every wrong answer, you can match it to a right one by placing 'not' in front of it and vice versa.
Xami

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

You're not getting trolled. You're assuming that A, B, C, and D are binary, true-false statements that can be negated with "not", while no one else is.

Edit: That is, "Pickles are not blue" does not logically equal "Pickles are green."
~ I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home. ~
Copper Bezel

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding of the difference between "true statement" and "correct answer". It may very well be the case that there are as many true statements as there are false statements to be made about any particular thing. This is not the same as saying there are as many correct answers as incorrect answers to any given question.

"What number is the sum of 1 and itself?" has exactly one correct answer and uncountably infinitely many incorrect ones, even though it's possible to say many many other true things about it. The point being that these other true things, like "it's not 23", aren't what anyone (other than Xami, apparently?) would really consider to be a correct answer to the question.
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby sjorford » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:aren't what anyone [...] would really consider to be a correct answer to the question.

Well, they're correct, but useless.

Obligatory link

Other obligatory link
sjorford

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

They are correct statements (in that they are true), but they are not the correct answer. This is the point gmal is trying to make, it would appear that xami is equating "a true statement" with "a correct answer" even if that true statement is incomplete (as it includes incorrect answers).

In the case A, B, C, D where A is the answer you will get the marks for, not B, not C and not D all contain A so are true statements, but they are not the correct answer as they also contain incorrect statements (and, for a number of answers more than 3 with just 1 that will get you the marks, there will always be more incorrect answers included by a "not X" type answer than correct ones).
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby Xami » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:24 pm UTC

I guess I have been using correct and true interchangeably -
what's 1+2?
Not 7
To me this is correct because 7 is incorrect. Horribly unuseful of course.

So the difference here is most people would not say that NOT Incorrect is decidedly different from Correct?
But of course NOT False = True so there's some fundamental difference in how those work
Xami

Postby MHD » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:25 pm UTC

At the very least nothing is smaller than the Planck length, approx. 10-35 m.
EvanED wrote:be aware that when most people say "regular expression" they really mean "something that is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a regular expression"
MHD

Postby doogly » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:49 pm UTC

False. The Planck length is where we sorta kinda expect quantum gravity to be important. No one knows the full theory of quantum gravity, so nobody can say what happens at that scale, or if anything happens at all. It's just the scale at which sober caution tells you to pause the usage of your current theories, and either become a quantum gravity researcher or chill.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby RichM » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:05 pm UTC

I think this is a way to look at the size of a photon.

The size of a photon can be defined by how it interacts with matter.

First, it has an infinite extent--or more accurately, the probability of where it is is infinite. However, a majority of it's energy (or the probability where it's at) is in a very small region of space. That region is related to the wavelength of the photon. The easiest way to see this is via diffraction. If I have a plate with a huge hole and fire photons through it at a screen, the photons will hit a the screen as if the plate wasn't there. As I decrease the size of the hole, the photons start to diffract as the edge of the hole clips the tails of the photon probablity function. This continues until the diffraction is dramatic. At this point, one can define the size of the photon using an arbitrary criterion using diffraction

d = lambda/sin(theta)

Pick the angle to define the size. As you see, this relationship allows for photons infinity large. As you make the angle of the diffraction approach zero, you have to have an infinite hole size which indicates the photon is infinite. However, for a reasonable situation, one could definite the angular spread to be pi/4 radians, making the size

d = lambda*sqrt(2)

The important thing here is the wavelength. For light, the hole needs to be really small, on the order of microns whereas, for radio waves, it can be on the order of meters.

If you look at it from antennas, you might see that that you need a bigger antenna to effectively catch bigger photons due to the wavelength scaling.

In fact, that could be another way to define the size. For a radio wave of wavelength lambda, the optimal length of an antenna is lambda/2. Thus, the size of a photon could be defined as this.
RichM

Previous

Return to Science