Fluorescene of quinine

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

matko5

Fluorescene of quinine

Postby matko5 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:05 pm UTC

Hey guys, I was watching an experiment with fluorescence of quinine, basicly a laser around 400nm induced fluorescence in a glass of tonic water (Schwepps). Anyway, we used NaCl to destroy the fluorescence and there was a spike of intensity around 800nm. Does anyone know what causes that? Sodium, Chlorine, or some by products of quinine breakdown?
Hai.

Cobramaster
Location: Georgia Southern University Department of Chemistry, and Department of Biology.

Re: Fluorescene of quinine

Postby Cobramaster » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:50 am UTC

It is the products of the quinine, florescence does not occur in the others.
SlyReaper wrote:Did you never notice the etymological link between "tyrannosaur" and "tyrant"? 1% of the dinosaurs had 99% of the prey. Occupy Pangaea.

matko5

Postby matko5 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:36 am UTC

I see what are you getting at, but it wasn't fluorescence, it was just a spike in infrared part of spectrum.
Hai.

justaman

Postby justaman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:43 am UTC

matko5 wrote:I see what are you getting at, but it wasn't fluorescence, it was just a spike in infrared part of spectrum.

So why wasn't it fluorescence? NaCl doesn't absorb in that range IIRC, at least not in solution and won't produce an emission line there. It will be something to do with the quinine.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

Cobramaster
Location: Georgia Southern University Department of Chemistry, and Department of Biology.

Postby Cobramaster » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:46 am UTC

NaCl is used as a sample plate in IR spectroscopy because it does not absorb or emit in the near or mid IR ranges. Fluorescence is not limited to the visible and UV ranges, and given the structure of quinine is one that is very much a fluorescent paradise I am willing to bet one of those bonds is high enough energy to take off that much energy from the protein.
SlyReaper wrote:Did you never notice the etymological link between "tyrannosaur" and "tyrant"? 1% of the dinosaurs had 99% of the prey. Occupy Pangaea.

matko5

Postby matko5 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:17 am UTC

I understand now, thank you all. I'll look into it more if I get the time. : )
Hai.

MarvinM

Postby MarvinM » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:47 am UTC

Return to “Science”