Electrostatic Discharge

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Ddanndt

Electrostatic Discharge

Postby Ddanndt » Wed May 04, 2011 11:58 am UTC

Just wanted to know if it's normal to get an electric discharge after I take my jacket off and put my hands under running water and even hear a 'crack' sound when I touch a sponge? :D
God does not care about our mathematical difficulties — He integrates empirically.
—Albert Einstein

Shadowfish

Re: Electrostatic Discharge

Postby Shadowfish » Wed May 04, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

You should see a doctor about that.
I'm mostly a lurker. I lurk. Kind of like a fish, in the shadows.

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Wed May 04, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

What kind of soles do your shoes have? What kind of floor do you walk on between removing your jacket and touching the water?

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed May 04, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

Jacket and\or other things could build up a charge on your clothing*. The water is usually a good grounding/discharge source.
So yes, totally normal. Unless you have electricity leaking from your electrical devices that is.

*My hair is usually a really good capacitor. Except I gel/grease it now, so it's less so.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Ddanndt

Postby Ddanndt » Wed May 04, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

Well I know that it's my jacket supposedly made of cotton that's causing the electrostatic but what's troubling me is the magnitude of the static. It's been happening for quite a while and there's even a small 'crack' sound when I touch metals and it leaves a tingling sensation in my finger. I think I'm even gonna buy a voltmeter to measure it cos it's freaking me out :shock:. BTW most of the time I'm wearing thick soles and the floor is made of ceramic tiles .
God does not care about our mathematical difficulties — He integrates empirically.
—Albert Einstein

idobox

Postby idobox » Wed May 04, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

Cotton shouldn't cause a lot of static electricity to build up. The interior might be made of some synthetic fabric.

You can get pretty impressive voltages by storing static electricity in your body, but they're not very easy to measure. I have a blanket made of synthetic fabric, when I unfold it in the dark, I can see small sparks.

You might want to check the grounding in your house though.
If there is no answer, there is no question. If there is no solution, there is no problem.

Waffles to space = 100% pure WIN.

Moose Hole

Postby Moose Hole » Wed May 04, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

A voltmeter won't help, once the static has gone through the detection circuit it's not really there anymore, so you'd only be able to measure it for a very small amount of time. Perhaps you could get a magnetometer, and run really fast past it while you're full of static.

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Wed May 04, 2011 7:20 pm UTC

Another problem with voltmeters is that they aren't sensitive in that voltage range, although I suppose some specialized ones probably are. We're talking tens of thousands of volts.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Return to “Science”