Colorful Metal Salts: What Concentration?

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

ikrase

Colorful Metal Salts: What Concentration?

Postby ikrase » Fri May 06, 2011 12:08 am UTC

I'm going to be giving a presentation to elementary school children about ultra-ultra-basic atomic structure with the hook of why things have different colors. This is going to involve colorful fire (flame tests!) , neon-type lights (Gas Discharge Tube!) and colored liquids (Hey, I took the d-Block of the Periodic Table and dissolved each metal in a separate vial of acid!).

Well, not the whole d-Block. But definitely I will have visibly colored solutions of Zn2+, (colorless), Cu2+ (nice blue), Fe2+, and possibly also Co2+ and/or Mn2+. Thing is, I do not know what concentration to use, and I am required to know what concentration I am going to use before touching the chemicals. What's a good concentration for the salts of these metals that will provide clearly colored solution? Most are going to be sulfates, I think. I've been researching for a while and have not found much.
[bibliography]XKVCBDOSLDMSD[/bibliography]

p1t1o

Re: Colorful Metal Salts: What Concentration?

Postby p1t1o » Fri May 06, 2011 10:56 am UTC

0.1M should do you, that is around the 10-20 grams (read: 3-4 teaspoons) per litre mark depending on what salts you will be using, but it should be enough to give a coloured solution.

Possibly useful.

ikrase

Postby ikrase » Fri May 06, 2011 10:50 pm UTC

Thank you. That's a huge help.
[bibliography]XKVCBDOSLDMSD[/bibliography]

mbrigdan
False Alarm! There's more rum.

Postby mbrigdan » Sun May 08, 2011 1:46 am UTC

If you're alright with having a sealed one that you'd need to keep an eye on, Cu2+ and ammonia make a lovely shade of blue.
Spoiler:
TheNgaiGuy wrote:god is playing a huge trick on us and wants us to use our brains to come to the logical conclusion, even though wrong, that he doesn't exist and will send all atheists to heaven for exercising said gifts and send all theists to hell for having faith.

opsomath

Postby opsomath » Thu May 12, 2011 6:59 pm UTC

Meh. Just a couple drops of household ammonia into cupric sulfate (available at the hardware store) should be enough for a good color, and that is a concentration something like that of Windex. No danger.

Return to “Science”