Making a sonic screwdriver

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Brickmack

Making a sonic screwdriver

Postby Brickmack » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:49 am UTC

I've been reading a lot online recently about efforts to make a sonic screwdriver (like from Doctor Who) using some sort of "ultrasonic forcefield"to twist screws, and I've spent the last few weeks thinking about how to make one of these. I haven't been able to find a whole lot about these experimental screwdrivers though, does anyone know anymore about how these things are supposed to work? Specifically, what is used to create the "forcefield", how big is this thing (just the forcefield part and related things, not counting the power supply and controls), and what are the power requirements of it? If it isn't too difficult to make, and not unusably huge, I might eventually try to make one of my own.

Sagekilla

Re: Making a sonic screwdriver

Postby Sagekilla » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:03 am UTC

AFAIK, it's not that far fetched to create a "sonic motor" of sorts. In fact, we already have these.

In principle, all you do is create ultrasonic vibrations to rotate something. You could probably apply this concept to screwdriver to make a powered screwdriver,
but I'm not sure how well it would actually work for turning screws.

As a bonus, it does make a pleasant whirring noise when it's operating. So you could have your Sonic Screwdriver actually make some noise while it's working.
I own a Canon lens with a USM in it, and I'm rather fond of the noise it makes when it focuses. It's more of a whooshing noise as it rotates the focusing element
and it's not terribly loud (compared to the Doctor's SS).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSV_Alvin#Sinking wrote:Researchers found a cheese sandwich which exhibited no visible signs of decomposition, and was in fact eaten.

mercutio_stencil

Postby mercutio_stencil » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

Only so many comparisons can be drawn between this (hypothetical) device and the Doctors; I can't remember the last time I saw the Doctor actually unscrew a screw with his.

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:39 pm UTC

well, you can just use a sound system and find the resonating frequency of the screw, causing it to vibrate and (hopefully) work loose. of course the frequency can vary, even between a set of the same screws, so it may be unfeasible.

thoughtfully

Postby thoughtfully » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:33 pm UTC

If you are clever enough with math, and have some feedback, you can probably manage almost anything with nonlinear effects.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

iChef

Postby iChef » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Just pour your vodka and OJ into a container. Use your sound system to make it resonate until they are both mixed. Enjoy your sonic screwdriver.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

Tomlidich

Postby Tomlidich » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:33 pm UTC

]
iChef wrote:Just pour your vodka and OJ into a container. Use your sound system to make it resonate until they are both mixed. Enjoy your sonic screwdriver.

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THAR......

Return to “Science”