Cell Growth Models

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

ahazaq2

Cell Growth Models

Postby ahazaq2 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:47 pm UTC

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anybody had ever taken the time or knew of anybody that had actually went and made a graph or a matlab script or something that would take in starting cell concentration and tell you how long it would be until your cells hit a certain concentration. I know that cell growth is supposed to be a logistic curve, but it would be nice if there was some pre-made way of being a little more accurate. I'm mainly interested in helas and jurkat, but anything would be nice.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Cell Growth Models

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:38 pm UTC

HeLa cells grow pretty quickly. Can't you just ballpark it? Also, growth is often dependent upon confluence.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

justaman

Postby justaman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:05 pm UTC

The rate of cell growth is very dependent on the conditions in which the cells are grown, so it all depends on your medium type, temperature of incubation, serum concentration, how often you change the medium/split the cells, type of culture vessel you are using, how old the cells are (i.e. how long you have had them up)...

Your best bet for log growth is to eyeball it for confluence (50-70% should be log if you seeded at 10-20%) or do some easy growth curves for your cells - try protein or DNA content in a 96 well plate.
Felstaff wrote:"deglove"? I think you may have just conjured the sickest image within my mind since I heard the term "testicle pop".

iop

Postby iop » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

The cell cycle in HeLas takes about 24h if they're happy, though it's slower when there are very few cells, and it does depend on your strain of HeLas.

For me, this is usually enough to roughly estimate when cells reach confluency - if I seed a 10cm dish with 1M cells, they're close to confluency (~8M) three days later.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:40 pm UTC

Yeah, all the experiments I've ever done that were sensitive to confluency could be eyeballed after taking an initial count.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “Science”