The Sun is smaller than the Earth.

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Koyaanisqatsi

The Sun is smaller than the Earth.

Postby Koyaanisqatsi » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:21 am UTC

Over the past hundred years many of the Greek concepts have been demonstrated to be false, naive and dangerous. The idea of an observable natural world was always regarded by non-materialists as, if not positively evil, at the very least an unprovable assumption. Almost a century ago experiments in sub-atomic physics and quantum theory (the microcosm) completely shattered the belief in an objective natural world as did the astrophysical theories of relativity (the macrocosm).

If there is no "absolute frame" observed by a single omniscient deity from an unchallengeable unique location, then the statement that "the Sun is larger than the Earth" is no longer true.

All size becomes apparent and depends on who is making the observation, what they use to make the measurement with, where they are located and how fast they are travelling relative to what they measuring.

It is more accurate to say "the Sun is smaller than the Earth" because all non-fictional observers are in reality on, or near, the Earth's surface.

That is all. Also, who has the username UBIK? I was going to make it my username, but it was taken. Now I want to meet that guy. He seems pretty cool.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: The Sun is smaller than the Earth.

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:43 am UTC

Koyaanisqatsi wrote:Almost a century ago experiments in sub-atomic physics and quantum theory (the microcosm) completely shattered the belief in an objective natural world as did the astrophysical theories of relativity (the macrocosm).
Um, no. There is nothing about quantum mechanics or relativity that hurt the notion of an objective world even a little bit.

If there is no "absolute frame" observed by a single omniscient deity from an unchallengeable unique location, then the statement that "the Sun is larger than the Earth" is no longer true.
Things don't stop being true just because there's no one omniscient to say them.

and how fast they are travelling relative to what they measuring.
There is no reference frame in which the sun really is bigger than the Earth. The fact that we are closer to the Earth doesn't actually make it bigger, it just makes it take up more of our field of vision.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:23 am UTC

Koyaanisqatsi wrote:Over the past hundred years many of the Greek concepts have been demonstrated to be false, naive and dangerous. The idea of an observable natural world was always regarded by non-materialists as, if not positively evil, at the very least an unprovable assumption. Almost a century ago experiments in sub-atomic physics and quantum theory (the microcosm) completely shattered the belief in an objective natural world as did the astrophysical theories of relativity (the macrocosm).

All size becomes apparent and depends on who is making the observation, what they use to make the measurement with, where they are located and how fast they are travelling relative to what they measuring.

It is more accurate to say "the Sun is smaller than the Earth" because all non-fictional observers are in reality on, or near, the Earth's surface.

That is all. Also, who has the username UBIK? I was going to make it my username, but it was taken. Now I want to meet that guy. He seems pretty cool.

WHAT KIND OF STRANGE AND ASININE FUCKERY IS THIS?! JUSTIFY YOURSELF!

Dason

Postby Dason » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:37 am UTC

Koyaanisqatsi wrote:That is all. Also, who has the username UBIK? I was going to make it my username, but it was taken. Now I want to meet that guy. He seems pretty cool.

I believe Ubik has the username Ubik. This was about the only part of the post I felt justified a response.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

curtis95112

Postby curtis95112 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:41 am UTC

You redefined size.

So what?
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
Роберт wrote:Sure, but at least they hit the intended target that time.

Well, if you shoot enough people, you're bound to get the right one eventually.

Thats the best description of the USA ever.

Gigano

Postby Gigano » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:33 am UTC

Koyaanisqatsi wrote:If there is no "absolute frame" observed by a single omniscient deity from an unchallengeable unique location, then the statement that "the Sun is larger than the Earth" is no longer true.

Ahem, there is an absolute frame: it's called spacetime. And even though the spatial aspect can be bent and warped, size is still an objective property of objects within spacetime regardless if some omniscient is present to observe the universe.

Sounds like a lame job description, doesn't it? "We are looking for someone to fill the position of 'Omniscient entity' (24/7). Job description: observe the universe."
Omne ignotum pro magnifico.

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:08 am UTC

Congratulations, you've discovered angular size, which is position dependent. Don't forget to point out objects near you travel faster than those further away, too.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:06 am UTC

Since I consider myself to be a single omniscient deity from an unchallengeable unique location, your argument is invalid.
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

cphite

Postby cphite » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

Koyaanisqatsi wrote:Over the past hundred years many of the Greek concepts have been demonstrated to be false, naive and dangerous. The idea of an observable natural world was always regarded by non-materialists as, if not positively evil, at the very least an unprovable assumption. Almost a century ago experiments in sub-atomic physics and quantum theory (the microcosm) completely shattered the belief in an objective natural world as did the astrophysical theories of relativity (the macrocosm).

Yes! And, as anyone can see with simple observation, the sun clearly goes around the Earth - not the other way around.

iChef

Postby iChef » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

I completely agree with this line of thought. Nothing in the universe can be measured objectively. So if I were to smash your face in with a baseball bat it is perfectly valid to assume you are smashing your face into my bat while my bat is remaining stationary. In fact due to the size of the sub atomic particles in the bat it is mostly empty space so really it's like the bat isn't even there. Of course the only way to prove your theory is to conduct numerous experiments.
Those whom God loves, he must make beautiful, and a beautiful character must, in some way, suffer.
-Tailsteak author of the Webcomics 1/0 and Leftover Soup

radams

Postby radams » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:22 am UTC

The original post was cut-and-paste from here:

http://www.wizard.gen.nz/transforming.html

Gigano

Postby Gigano » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:28 am UTC

radams wrote:The original post was cut-and-paste from here:

http://www.wizard.gen.nz/transforming.html

Good grief, we've been had!