Saladmaster Baking Soda Test

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Saladmaster Baking Soda Test

Postby jrlizardking » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:42 pm UTC

Hey, I recently ran into an interesting problem that I cant seem to solve regarding SaladMaster Cookware. Saladmaster is a company that sells "health" cookware by using high-presssured sales techniques and door to door marketing. They're clearly a scam, however there is one test they do that I can't get over.

First off they host dinner's and ask all the guests to bring there favourite piece of cookware. They then tell everybody that they're going to perform a test,which they say is an "alkalyne" mixture that will react with the pans and absorb unhealthy chemicals. They mix baking soda in water and heat it to a boil and get everyone to taste it after. Naturally, the copper and cast iron pots leeched a little bit into the water, and you could taste it.

The part I really don't understand is why my Teflon pot leached into the water,I would figure that teflon was very very inert, and if anything their pots should have leeched more. However, when I tasted it , it tasted bitter where as the water from the 316 Ti stainless steel pans that they provided tasted normal.

Has anyone encountered this scam or can anyone shed light on to why teflon would leach more chemicals then steel?
jrlizardking

Re: Saladmaster Baking Soda Test

Postby poxic » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:43 pm UTC

Because baking soda is bitter as hell?
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Well historically speaking, we Jews do tend to be great at Christmas. Just ask Irving Berlin. Or Jesus.
- a random xkcd forumite
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby Sizik » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:24 am UTC

Try doing the same procedure with a glass container at home and see how it tastes.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.
Sizik

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:28 pm UTC

jrlizardking wrote:However, when I tasted it , it tasted bitter where as the water from the 316 Ti stainless steel pans that they provided tasted normal.
This is the tricky thing.

One possibility: did they have you taste the water from the "316 Ti" pans first, or second? Perhaps the order influences one's perception of the taste.
Jorpho

Postby Jplus » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:02 pm UTC

Did they actually show that they boiled the same baking soda solution in their advertised product? As in, did the soda come from the same pack and did they use the same amount of it?
Feel free to call me Julian. J+ is just an abbreviation.
Image coding and xkcd combined
Jplus

Postby PM 2Ring » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:08 am UTC

How clean was your teflon ware? Although teflon is fairly inert, stuff can adsorb onto it. And if the teflon is old and scratched, or damaged from excess heat, there will be plenty of crevices that can trap stuff in them.
PM 2Ring

Postby charonme » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:04 am UTC

jrlizardking wrote:the water from the 316 Ti stainless steel pans that they provided tasted normal
did you do this test at home with your own "316 Ti pan"?

an unwarranted wild speculation in case everything else fails: the water should taste bitter (as Sizik suggested, try it in a glass container), but their pans are treated in such a way that they artificially "neutralize" the water perhaps by leaking something in it. Or maybe even their pans would leak, but they're treated with something that you can't taste, but it's even more unhealthy than copper and it will wear out after a couple usages :twisted:
charonme

Postby Charlie! » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:44 pm UTC

Or they could paint some acid on the inside of their pans to neutralize the baking soda. Did they heat up the pan first and then put the water in second, which would disguise chemical reaction?

Did the water from their pan taste salty?
Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"
Charlie!

Postby jrlizardking » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:42 am UTC

Hey sorry for the late reply ive been busy and kinda forgot I made this post haha.. I have tested with Pyrex and it tasted just like from the titanium. I tried it at home with brand new Teflon and it tasted super bitter feel free to try ...however i haven't had an opportunity to taste water boiled in the titanium salad master pots other than during the demonstration, but those were brand new. I find it unlikely that they put anything in to neutralize it... although its really the only thing that seems possible...
jrlizardking

Postby Moose Anus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

There may have been a slow acting dry acid in the mixture, which was only activated after cooking long enough, after you tasted the other stuff. I guess that doesn't jive with your new data though.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.
Moose Anus

Postby jojocurry » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:56 pm UTC

Last night my wife and I had the saladmaster dinner and sales pitch. this morning I easily duplicares the baking soda test. The bad taste comes from a high concentration of baking soda. The salesman simply used much less for his own pan and much more in the other pans. Try it. take 1 tsp of baking soda into 1/4 cup of water. Heat it to help it disolve - just like the salesman does. taste. YUCH! Has nothting to do with the pan or leaching and everything with the salesman giving his own pan a 1tsp for a full cup of water.
jojocurry

Postby idobox » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:02 pm UTC

Sandyrivaaj wrote:This is not a scam.... When you put the baking soda into any of the pans, as well as the titanium pan, the toxins contained within the pans are leeched out.... Thus giving you a metallic taste, where as from the titanium, you get a normal taste...
The 316T Titanium that is used to make the pans is the very same that is used in surgery for hip replacements.... :P

You sound a lot like a salesman/PR person from saladmaster.
Would you like to explain to us why titanium has less 'toxins' than, say, aluminium or stainless steel (which is also use for implants)?
If there is no answer, there is no question. If there is no solution, there is no problem.

Waffles to space = 100% pure WIN.
idobox

Postby testmouse » Fri May 24, 2013 2:09 pm UTC

Instead of talking about it actually try the experiment like I did.
Now put a teaspoon of bicarb soada into your pot along with cold water. Take it to boiling point for 5 or 10 min. Then taste it...
The stainless steel pot with titanium will taste like bicarb soada.
The stainless steel pot with a copper bottom will taste like copper.
The stainless steel pot with a aluminium bottom will taste like aluminium
The glass pot will taste like lead or whatever material it was used to harden it.
The Teflon pot will taste like plastic.
The cast iron pot will taste like... I will let you find out for yourself on this one. Yuck

This is standard physics not some hocus pocus. Titanium is a amazing inert product used in many body replacement parts and when mixed with stainless steal does some amazing things.
Now instead of using standard Google and getting a armchair answer go to google scholar and get the white paper or the Technical Data sheet on this type of material.
BTW most people don't know about Google Scholar.

You will find a answer like the following...
General Properties
Allegheny Ludlum Type 316Ti(UNS S31635) is a titanium stabalized version of Type 316 molybdenum-bearing austenitic stainless steel. It is also known as DIN/EN designation No.
1.4571. The Type 316 alloys are more resistant to general corrosion and pitting/crevice corrosion than the conventional chromium-nickel austenitic stainless steels such as Type 304.
It goes on to say that this type of material can handle waters with up to about 2000 ppm chloride whereas standard stainless steel can handle only 100 ppm chloride.

I don't claim to know the long term effects of these type of chemicals like lead, plastics, aluminium etc on the human body.
I do know that when buying fruit and veg I buy organic. When I buy milk it has to be permeate free and when buying my bread it has to not have 202.
When buying my chicken I buy free-range without hormones etc. It makes only common sense that I then want inert cookware without problems.

Do your own research but proper research. None of this he said she said carry on. It is too easy in today's day and age to go to some blog found via google and get some arm chair verdict.

If you are like me and research Teflon, and all these other products then Titanium stainless steel seems a bargain.
If you can find fresh forged impurity free stainless steel with Titanium that is cheaper then let me know.
Kind Regards
Test Mouse
testmouse

Postby sardia » Fri May 24, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

What the hell? Are we being trolled by saladmaster salemen/(singular?) Both of these posters only have 1 post total.
sardia

Postby dudiobugtron » Fri May 24, 2013 10:50 pm UTC

They do sound exactly like salespeople.

However, the idea that titanium has a different, non-noticeable taste compared with other metals doesn't seem particularly far-fetched. I wouldn't be surprised if the test they did was genuine. (I also wouldn't be particularly surprised if it was a scam either, however.)
dudiobugtron

Postby gmalivuk » Fri May 24, 2013 11:21 pm UTC

I'm not sure why I approved Sandyrivaaj's post, and have deleted it because it is pretty clearly just another sales pitch.

I let testmouse's post through because, even if the poster is working for Saladmaster, that post at least gives some deeper explanation for what could be going on, instead of simply claiming it leeches out "toxins", which is always a pretty big crackpot red-flag word.
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Jorpho » Sat May 25, 2013 2:05 am UTC

testmouse wrote:The stainless steel pot with titanium will taste like bicarb soada.
I don't know about the rest, but all that can be deduced from this much is that a stainless steel pot with titanium does not leach any impurities with a flavor that can be distinguished from that of baking soda. It does not mean that no impurities are leached at all. That's "standard physics".
Jorpho

Postby testmouse » Sat May 25, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

As a total disclaimer I am not a sales person. I do own the product. I have done allot of research. I am very heavily into health and nutrition.
I own a Thermomix, a Oscar masticating juicer and Saladmaster set. I don't think any sales rep would dare say that.
I am looking for facts and not conjecture please.
Kind Regards
Test mouse
testmouse

Postby testmouse » Sat May 25, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

I was told that the steel that they use is from Alinox Steel located in Switzerland and Ametek Steel located in the USA and that they use raw material and not recycled slag. The white paper(Technical data Blue Sheet) I found is located at.
(I cannot link to the document as is is flagged as spam even though it links to a pdf. If you google "allegheny ludlum type 316Ti(UNS S31635)" then I am sure you will find the second link down, there are links that ask you to sign up to view the document, you should be able to find this easily)
It is a pdf that is quite extensive in its documentation of this quality of material that Saladmaster uses. As I have said I have done my research to the best of my ability. I have been as open as possible.
If somebody is saying that there is a better product or a same quality product then I would like to compare the data sheets to see the difference. I don't just want to be told from a sales person that there are differences.
Kind Regards
Test Mouse
testmouse

Postby testmouse » Sat May 25, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
testmouse wrote:The stainless steel pot with titanium will taste like bicarb soada.
I don't know about the rest, but all that can be deduced from this much is that a stainless steel pot with titanium does not leach any impurities with a flavor that can be distinguished from that of baking soda. It does not mean that no impurities are leached at all. That's "standard physics".

I agree with you Jorpho. You have poked a hole in my choice of words in my statement. My comments are based on my wider research on the effects of Titanium and the blue sheet that I have mentioned.
From what I understand stainless steel is porous and non conductive. That is why you have to have a heat conductor on the bottom of the pot to transfer the heat to the food. If this is aluminium or copper etc then some how you can taste this in the food. I don't understand the process. When you add titanium it stops or severely slows the porosity of the stainless steel. Maybe a metallurgist can shed some light on why you can taste the aluminium in a stainless steel pot. Maybe it is because of the bonding process. I came across this forum in a google search in my follow up research. If some intelligent people can shed some light on these matters then that would be awesome.
I am trying to avoid forums that are spammed with sales people and zealots.
Kind Regards
Test Mouse
testmouse

Postby Jorpho » Sat May 25, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

Have you done this taste-test yourself with six different pots? Sounds like a good opportunity for a double-blind test. Have someone else boil water under various conditions and prepare samples (including untreated "control" samples) identified only by code. Then taste each of the samples and see if you can accurately match up a sample with the condition in which it was prepared.
Jorpho

Postby testmouse » Sat May 25, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

Thanks Jorpo, I did do the test myself but admittedly it was not a blind test. It is a good suggestion. To be even more accurate I would like to find a glass pot and a cast iron pot that is more of a similar size to my stainless steel pot, Teflon pot and aluminium pots that I already own. Of to good will I go, If not there maybe a garage sale.
Kind Regards
Test Mouse
testmouse

Postby sardia » Sat May 25, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

testmouse wrote:Thanks Jorpo, I did do the test myself but admittedly it was not a blind test. It is a good suggestion. To be even more accurate I would like to find a glass pot and a cast iron pot that is more of a similar size to my stainless steel pot, Teflon pot and aluminium pots that I already own. Of to good will I go, If not there maybe a garage sale.
Kind Regards
Test Mouse

For a larger nonscientific test, cook some french onion soup by browning onions in a cast iron pan. Sprinkle baking soda onto the onions to enhance the browning. Tell me how it tastes. The answer is delicious. The ratio of onion to baking soda is 8 onions to 1 teaspoon. No cheating by dumping half the box. Baking soda tastes bad, either metallic or bitter I can't remember which, if you add too much to anything.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/01/the- ... ecipe.html Skip to the section about baking soda.
sardia

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

For the record, I am no longer going to approve any further posts from new users to this thread. Nearly all of them have been promotional, and I'm no longer interested in reading them through closely.

If you are new to the forums and want to participate in this thread, you'll have to post to other threads first, and have those posts approved by a moderator before you'll be able to post here.
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Return to Science