Bizarre facts

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

EricH

Re: Bizarre facts

Postby EricH » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:
evilbeanfiend wrote:
quintopia wrote:I didn't read the whole thread, but here's mine: A wooden bucket of water outside in freezing temperatures will freeze solid faster if it's hot than if it's cold.

i'd say this is still wrong even given the various conditions that it can happen as you seem to be suggesting that it always happens which is untrue.

The hypothesis is that hot water, due to more convection, forms a "hot top" which is more efficient for losing heat to the environment.

Ive done the experiment, and its true, for water in plastic cups in a freezer.

I would say evaporation is the vital component that has to be at least mentioned in the hypothesis--that is, the hot bucket quickly loses some liquid, so that there is less total water to be frozen. If not, then at some finite time T after the experiment starts, the hot bucket will be identical in state to the cold bucket at t=0, and the cold bucket must therefore freeze before the hot bucket.
Pseudomammal wrote:Biology is funny. Not "ha-ha" funny, "lowest bidder engineering" funny.

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

When it's a small-scale experiment such as a paper cup in a freezer, or freezing ice cubes in an ice-cube tray, I would say that evaporation plays the biggest role in making the hot water "freeze faster". If it's a large bucket sitting outside, then I can see convection currents and dissolved gases playing a bigger part.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

EricH wrote:
BlackSails wrote:
evilbeanfiend wrote:
quintopia wrote:I didn't read the whole thread, but here's mine: A wooden bucket of water outside in freezing temperatures will freeze solid faster if it's hot than if it's cold.

i'd say this is still wrong even given the various conditions that it can happen as you seem to be suggesting that it always happens which is untrue.

The hypothesis is that hot water, due to more convection, forms a "hot top" which is more efficient for losing heat to the environment.

Ive done the experiment, and its true, for water in plastic cups in a freezer.

I would say evaporation is the vital component that has to be at least mentioned in the hypothesis--that is, the hot bucket quickly loses some liquid, so that there is less total water to be frozen. If not, then at some finite time T after the experiment starts, the hot bucket will be identical in state to the cold bucket at t=0, and the cold bucket must therefore freeze before the hot bucket.

Did you read the linked page? The effect has been observed even in closed containers where evaporation is not an issue. While evaporation is likely a cause, it is far from the vital cause. There are probably several things working together that can each independently cause this.

I suspect fairies.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

asad137

Postby asad137 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

Activated charcoal (or activated carbon) has a surface area of roughly 500 to 1000 m2...per gram. Compare to a tennis court, which has an area of 260 m2, and likely weighs significantly more than a gram.

Asad

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
BlackSails wrote:Pistol shrimp can cause nuclear fusion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_shrimp

Um... what?

I think I see what he's getting at:

Wikipedia - Pistol Shrimp: Snapping Effect wrote:The snap can also produce sonoluminescence from a collapsing cavitation bubble.

Wikipedia - Sonoluminescence wrote:Sonoluminescence is the emission of short bursts of light from imploding bubbles in a liquid when excited by sound.

Wikipedia - Bubble Fusion wrote:Bubble fusion, also known as sonofusion, is the non-technical name for a nuclear fusion reaction hypothesized to occur during sonoluminescence, an extreme form of acoustic cavitation.

Ah, okay. So in other words, the pistol shrimp *may* do something that is *hypothesized*, under *certain conditions*, to possibly involve nuclear fusion.

Right.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Ah, okay. So in other words, the pistol shrimp *may* do something that is *hypothesized*, under *certain conditions*, to possibly involve nuclear fusion.

Right.

R. P. Taleyarkhan, C. D. West, J. S. Cho, R. T. Lahey, Jr., R. I. Nigmatulin, and R. C.
Block. Evidence for nuclear emissions during acoustic cavitation. Science, 295:1868–
1873, 2002.

Another bizzare fact: It was once proposed (late 1800s) that the addition of HX reagents to Alkenes was controlled by the phases of the moon. This was because the same experiment could take two different courses, depending on when and where it was done.

(It was finally discovered that a catalytic amount of peroxide impurities causes the reaction to procede via a different mechanism)
Last edited by BlackSails on Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Wikipedia wrote:Recent experiments (2002, 2005) of R. P. Taleyarkhan, et.al., using deuterated acetone, show measurements of tritium and neutron output consistent with fusion, but these measurements have not been reproduced outside of the Taleyarkhan lab and remain controversial. Brian Naranjo of the University of California, Los Angeles, has recently completed an analysis of the Taleyarkhan results claiming that Taleyarkhan had most likely misinterpreted the radioactive decay of standard lab materials for the byproducts of nuclear fusion.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Klotz

Postby Klotz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Here's one that I'm not sure has been posted yet.

A hole through the earth will take 42 minutes to fall through before you come out on the other side. However, it doesn't matter where the hole starts or ends. A hole from Canada to Australia will take 42 minutes to fall through, as will one from New Zealand to Australia.

jaap

Postby jaap » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:43 am UTC

Klotz wrote:Here's one that I'm not sure has been posted yet.

A hole through the earth will take 42 minutes to fall through before you come out on the other side. However, it doesn't matter where the hole starts or ends. A hole from Canada to Australia will take 42 minutes to fall through, as will one from New Zealand to Australia.

... assuming of course that the tunnel is perfectly straight and has frictionless walls, and that there is no friction/drag from the air either.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:52 am UTC

jaap wrote:

... assuming of course that the tunnel is perfectly straight and has frictionless walls, and that there is no friction/drag from the air either.

And also assuming that you can dig a hole through the earth :wink:
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Xayma

Postby Xayma » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

hyperion wrote:
jaap wrote:

I imagine that would be easier then holding the walls up.

But it isn't the most efficient path to take. Taking more efficient ones leads to Canada being quicker than New Zealand as far as I remember (I think it is increasing angular difference is faster and makes sense in my mind). Although it involves digging through more difficult parts of the earth. The problem is you know some jerk is going to spit in it or drop a coin in and then all of a sudden you end up splattered all through the mantle.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

Xayma wrote:
hyperion wrote:
jaap wrote:

I imagine that would be easier then holding the walls up.

But it isn't the most efficient path to take. Taking more efficient ones leads to Canada being quicker than New Zealand as far as I remember (I think it is increasing angular difference is faster and makes sense in my mind). Although it involves digging through more difficult parts of the earth. The problem is you know some jerk is going to spit in it or drop a coin in and then all of a sudden you end up splattered all through the mantle.

The most efficient path through a sphere is not a straight line? The 42 minute argument applies to a frictionless straight tunnel that connects any two points on the sphere's surface.

Also, http://www.npl.washington.edu/AV/altvw32.html .

Explains the 43 minute argument quite nicely, and also reminds you that this assumes uniform density in the planet's core.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Klotz

Postby Klotz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

Yes, it's all with a uniform earth with no fricition or air resistance and the technilogical feasability to do so.
I think I read on Wikipedia that the brachistochrone path is some kind of cycloid made by rotating a circle along the inside of the surface of the earth.

zealo

Postby zealo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

i want to be able to change the radius of the smaller circle to see what different patterns it makes.

also, my immediate reaction to the reading that article was an urge to test it in my freezer
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

zealo wrote:i want to be able to change the radius of the smaller circle to see what different patterns it makes.

You can find an explicit equation using:

That's the differential equation for the opposite of a cycloid, generated by a circle of radius D.
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

Seraph

Postby Seraph » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

I'm totally confused what exactly your trying to prove. None of those articles seem to support the one you posted before. In fact the second goes out of it's way to refrence your origional article and say that "bubble fusion" is "most unlikely".

zealo

Postby zealo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

mathmagic wrote:*equation and stuff*

but how do i get the animation of it?
ave_matthew wrote:in a perfect system a gallon of body fat is worth one third of the US GDP

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:03 pm UTC

Here's ya stinkin' animation.
hypocycloid.gif
hypocycloid.gif (71.09 KiB) Viewed 4897 times
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:15 am UTC

With the bucket of water....

What if you took 2 buckets of water, heated them both to an arbitrary (<100ºC) temp xºC, and kept one there while cooling the other to yºC.

Then, put both in a -15ºC system. The cold one would freeze faster. I think.

I always thought this 'factoid' in total was due to dissolved gas, and heat removing it.

And is the radius of the big blue circle 3, or Pi?
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Scigatt

Postby Scigatt » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin were born on the same day(February 12, 1809)

A four-seam fastball thrown by an MLB 'power pitcher' on a good day has about one Planck momentum unit of momentum.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

mrbaggins wrote:And is the radius of the big blue circle 3, or Pi?

It's 3. You'll note that it lies exactly on the hash-mark, and the division are more than large enough to show if it was on 3.14.

Also, of course, the smaller circle has a radius of 1, and it makes three complete revolutions within the outer circle, which also shows that the larger circle must have a radius of 3.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

wst

Postby wst » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

Klotz wrote:A cool animation

Anyone thinking Spirograph?
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Sine Nomen

Postby Sine Nomen » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Cockeyed.com tested the freezing hot vs. cold water thing:
http://cockeyed.com/science/moment/ice.shtml

lostraven

Postby lostraven » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Only about 40% of humans have the autosomal genes to smell the
metabolized constituents of asparagus in urine.

And yes, I am part of that approximate 40%.

And no, It's not something to be proud of.

And yes, it really smells aweful.
-lostie

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:14 am UTC

lostraven wrote:Only about 40% of humans have the autosomal genes to smell the
metabolized constituents of asparagus in urine.

And yes, I am part of that approximate 40%.

And no, It's not something to be proud of.

And yes, it really smells awful.

I ate asparagus lots of times and never had a problem, but then once recently I ate a lot in one sitting, and I regretted it every time I peed for the next two days.

Isn't there a similar statistic about people not being able to taste avocado? I'm pretty sure I cannot taste the distinctive flavor of avocado.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Tahlas

Postby Tahlas » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:25 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Isn't there a similar statistic about people not being able to taste avocado? I'm pretty sure I cannot taste the distinctive flavor of avocado.

You can only taste 5 different tastes. The rest of them you're just smelling :wink:

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:15 pm UTC

Tahlas wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:Isn't there a similar statistic about people not being able to taste avocado? I'm pretty sure I cannot taste the distinctive flavor of avocado.

You can only taste 5 different tastes. The rest of them you're just smelling :wink:

That's not true on two levels. For one thing, the salty/sweet/sour/bitter thing isn't as precise as we once thought it was, and for another, even if it were, that's kind of like saying you can only see three colors because there are only three types of cones.
---

(he/him/his)

Woxor

Postby Woxor » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:For one thing, the salty/sweet/sour/bitter thing isn't as precise as we once thought it was, and for another, even if it were, that's kind of like saying you can only see three colors because there are only three types of cones.

Crap! You mean I've been eating nothing but salt, sugar, lemon juice, unsweetened chocolate, and soy sauce for no reason?? No wonder my guests complained!

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

wst wrote:
Klotz wrote:A cool animation

Anyone thinking Spirograph?

I was about to suggest a Super Spirograph set. Especially since it is capable of generating general hypo- and epi- trochoids, in addition to regular cycloids and other weirder shapes.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Tahlas wrote:

That's not true on two levels. For one thing, the salty/sweet/sour/bitter thing isn't as precise as we once thought it was, and for another, even if it were, that's kind of like saying you can only see three colors because there are only three types of cones.

Let's say instead that you can only project flavors to a 5 dimensional space. Is this true or not?

Waylah

Postby Waylah » Thu May 01, 2008 11:04 am UTC

Coca Cola invented Santa Clause, and Arnold Schwartzaneger is the governor of California. I know you all know this, but I still love saying it; its clearly proof that I'm trapped in an alternate universe that is the dream of a small child with a high fever.

Oh and,

*as I sit in bed and browse through my notes*

We have an aproximate total of 2x10^11 km of DNA in our bodies.

Any astro fans care to tell us how many times to the sun and back that is? Or some such perspective-creating comparison?

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Postby felltir » Thu May 01, 2008 12:19 pm UTC

I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been said..

The giraffe has the same number of bone in it's neck as both humans and doormice.
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Thu May 01, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

Waylah wrote:We have an aproximate total of 2x10^11 km of DNA in our bodies.

Any astro fans care to tell us how many times to the sun and back that is? Or some such perspective-creating comparison?

1AU = 1.5*10^8 km

That means 667 return trips to and from the sun :D
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Tahlas

Postby Tahlas » Thu May 01, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Tahlas wrote:You can only taste 5 different tastes. The rest of them you're just smelling

The eyes work in a different way, if two kinds of cones are activated I see a colour that is a mix of the two.
when two kinds of tastebuds are activated I taste both things at the same time, sweet/sour vs. broen for instance.

As for not being as precise "as we once thought" where can I find more info? wikipedia doesn't mention this (You're probably right , i'd just like to read more about this..)

zealo

Postby zealo » Thu May 01, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

is it that the eyes work different, or the brain processes the input different?

CadetMKultra

Re:

Postby CadetMKultra » Thu May 01, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

Nomic wrote:Almost exactly pi^anything isn't really an exact number, seeing thta pi is irrational.

On the preaying mantis somebody mentioned, the female mantis actually bites the male's head off before mating. This causes a cluster of nerves on lockated in it's nec area to activate and make it mate more vigorusly before it dies out from being decapitated.

correction, she attempts to bite his head off during the act. The males attempt to hold her down and do it from behind, in order to avoid decapitation. It's in her interest to eat his head, because he's a fine meal and he will inject all of his sperm if decapitated, whereas it's in his interest not to have his head eaten, because then he can carry some of his sperm away and give it to another female. Also, he gets to have a head.
"Science is interesting and if you don't agree, you can fuck off." - Richard Dawkins

Tahlas

Postby Tahlas » Thu May 01, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

zealo wrote:is it that the eyes work different, or the brain processes the input different?

It's of course the brain sorry 'bout that

More on topic: The largest church in the world (depends on how you measure largest) is the "Basilica of our Lady of Peace" it's basically a copy of St Peters Basilica (just a little larger), it's situated the Ivory Coast where less than 20% of the population is actually chatolics.

Simbera

Postby Simbera » Fri May 02, 2008 2:12 pm UTC

Waylah: Coca-Cola didn't invent Santa Claus, they were just the first ones to depict him as wearing red. He comes from Saint Nicholas, who was apparently an actual person ages ago. Not a Coke creation.

<^>
“From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.” – Edvard Munch

GBog

Postby GBog » Sat May 10, 2008 7:50 am UTC

George Paget Thomson, who received the Nobel prize in physics in 1937 for proving the electron has wave properties, was the son of Joseph John Thomson, who received the Nobel prize in physics in 1906 for proving the electron has particle properties.

Return to “Science”