Physics Laws

For the discussion of the sciences. Physics problems, chemistry equations, biology weirdness, it all goes here.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

vrek
pigasm!

Physics Laws

Postby vrek » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:29 pm UTC

What physics laws would you like to change? I don't mean like make gravity 5.6 or anything like that I mean like I would like to be able to reverse chemical reactions. For example lets say I fry an egg. I wish there was some way(albiet physically impossible) to un fry that egg if I change my mind on what I want to make.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:31 pm UTC

I think slowing down gravity would be a great idea.

Imagine doing something like skydiving, but being able to control how slow or fast you fall without a parachute.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:36 pm UTC

Science forum, imo.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

vrek
pigasm!

Postby vrek » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

I was thinking science forum but I am not really asking any real science questions. I am just asking what you would like to break in physics/

Quantum Potatoid
Location: May only be known if velocity isn't. Same rules apply with taste and texture.

Postby Quantum Potatoid » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

I would be able to break the speed of light.
"There's nothing wrong with having voices in your head, it's when they leave you out of the conversation you have to worry"
Spoiler:
iThis Cheese is Burning Me!

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:43 pm UTC

Conscious control over gravity's influence over me, i.e. being able to decrease/reverse it's hold on only me, or being able to make it come from a different direction (flying!). Doing the same thing to other things in your surroundings would be fun as well. Would make a great superpower.

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:01 pm UTC

Relativity.

The world would be so much more fun with Newtonian physics
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:51 am UTC

Dibley wrote:Conscious control over gravity's influence over me, i.e. being able to decrease/reverse it's hold on only me, or being able to make it come from a different direction (flying!). Doing the same thing to other things in your surroundings would be fun as well. Would make a great superpower.

Yeah, I've thought about that one before. Even just being able to decrease gravity's influence on yourself to zero would be fun. (As long as you could increase it again. Otherwise you'd be buoyant and just float away.)

Also, if you've got the time and a lot of eggs to start with, you can unfry them by getting a hen and feeding her nothing but fried eggs until she starts laying the raw kind. :-)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:23 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Also, if you've got the time and a lot of eggs to start with, you can unfry them by getting a hen and feeding her nothing but fried eggs until she starts laying the raw kind. :-)

But unless the hen lays eggs in at least a 1:1 ratio with the fried eggs you feed her, you still end up with net fried eggs. But I'm sure if you were able to destroy the laws of physics a 1:1 ratio would be possible.

drosophila

Postby drosophila » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:24 am UTC

A free pass to break the second law of thermodynamics would be nice...

I could become... MAXWELL'S DEMON!

*roars ferociously and then moves all the nitrogen molecules in the air into orderly rows in the middle of the room*

Tchebu

Postby Tchebu » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:00 am UTC

Make friction apply force the other way (in the direction of the movement)... No I do not know why... how about you tell me instead...

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:05 am UTC

For the "control gravity, make it pull me in other directions" etc. group, would this *just* be for you or would everyone/thing else be affected too? Presumably the first, but what if you could decide which? That would also be quite cool.

Oh, and I'd get rid of electricity and magnetism, because that's all magic.

*computer shuts down out of protest*
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:04 am UTC

Ghona wrote:Relativity.

But...then electromagnetism would go poof!

Say goodbye to radio, and lots of other useful things.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:15 am UTC

Negative inertia.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

Shadowfish

Postby Shadowfish » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:20 pm UTC

Sideways interia. You push something, and it accelerates perpendicular to the direction you pushed it.

scanwinder

Postby scanwinder » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:44 pm UTC

I'd like lenz's law to work in the opposite direction, so like a magnet could induce a current and then that current could accelerate the magnet in the same direction it was already travelling. Then we could have like cool perpetual motion stuff... and cool propulsion systems

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:44 pm UTC

Marbas wrote:
Ghona wrote:Relativity.

But...then electromagnetism would go poof!

Say goodbye to radio, and lots of other useful things.

And say hello to the luminiferous aether.
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

mister k

Postby mister k » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:28 pm UTC

drosophila wrote:A free pass to break the second law of thermodynamics would be nice...

I could become... MAXWELL'S DEMON!

*roars ferociously and then moves all the nitrogen molecules in the air into orderly rows in the middle of the room*

I was thinking exactly the same thing....... Spontaneous rearrangement of particles would be fricking awesome. Admittedly I suppose one could become quite god like with it, but I'd like to imagine it'd be used for practical jokes- undressing people at awkward moments.....

I have suddenly pictured the most awesome sitcom: Maxwell giving speech to other scientists when his suit flies off... "DEMOONNN!" He yells! Cue canned laughter. Comedy gold.

ihope127

Postby ihope127 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:05 pm UTC

Marbas wrote:Say goodbye to radio, and lots of other useful things.

Yes, like vision and the Sun. :-P

Also, definitely changing the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
There is a significant chance that an artificial intelligence created within the next few decades will not value humanity and therefore will treat us as we treat animals. It would be awesome if xkcd mentioned this.
----
Find me on freenode as uorygl.

Bugs

Postby Bugs » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:44 pm UTC

Another vote for fiddling with personal and objects' response to gravity. Firstly, you'd be able to fly. Secondly, turning gravity down a bit would be an awesome tool for learning new juggling patterns. Not to mention the mayhem you could create by having each ball fall under a different acceleration.
...or is it?

clearbright

Postby clearbright » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:47 pm UTC

Time, surely? Like Bernard's Watch.

zenten

Postby zenten » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:41 pm UTC

ihope127 wrote:
Marbas wrote:Say goodbye to radio, and lots of other useful things.

Yes, like vision and the Sun. :-P

Also, definitely changing the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

And molecules.

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:46 pm UTC

I would like the power to control quantum uncertainty on a very large amount of molecules at once. For instance, I would like to be able to say "all the quarks that make up that far-away lamp, make it extremely probable that they are all over here near me!" and save myself the trouble of getting the lamp myself.
კაცი ბჭობდა, ღმერთი იცინოდაო
k'atsi bch'obda, ghmerti itsinodao
"Man was discussing, God was laughing"
-Georgian proverb

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:20 pm UTC

HYPERiON wrote:Negative inertia.

Would this mean that objects at rest tend to start moving and objects in motion tend to come to rest (all without any outside influence)?

This produces a paradox; specifically, that objects at rest start moving and immediately want to return to rest then immediately begin to move, ad infinitum.

By this (il)logic, maybe every object would continuously spasm as it tried to reach an unattainable equilibrium between motion and non-motion.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:51 am UTC

What physics laws would you like to change? I don't mean like make gravity 5.6 or anything like that I mean like I would like to be able to reverse chemical reactions. For example lets say I fry an egg. I wish there was some way(albiet physically impossible) to un fry that egg if I change my mind on what I want to make.
Is it really impossible to unfry an egg? I assumed it was just really hard.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

GMontag

Postby GMontag » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:41 am UTC

oxoiron wrote:

Would this mean that objects at rest tend to start moving and objects in motion tend to come to rest (all without any outside influence)?

This produces a paradox; specifically, that objects at rest start moving and immediately want to return to rest then immediately begin to move, ad infinitum.

By this (il)logic, maybe every object would continuously spasm as it tried to reach an unattainable equilibrium between motion and non-motion.

I was interpreting it more as F= -ma. I.e. you push on an object and it starts moving the opposite direction.

po2141

Postby po2141 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:33 am UTC

Could not F=-ma potentially cause the universe to evaporate as anything that comes into contact with anything, rapidly unleashes infinite energy:

push something
it accelerates towards the pushing force, thus extering more force
it tries to accelerate harder
etc
etc
evaporate

Also, I like the feeding a hen the eggs that you want to un-fry, as the complex biochemistry of the chicken will (assuming they can actually digest fried eggs that is) will dismantle the cooked egg on a molecular scale and then construct a raw one out of said components, it might not be the same egg, but hey.

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:52 am UTC

I'd like it if the Halting problem was O(log(n)) instead of undecidable.

That and if acceleration was classical instead of relativistic. FTL for the win.

ericthesalmon

Postby ericthesalmon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:02 am UTC

I'd be happy with mercury being safe and innocuous. That's not too much to ask for, is it?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:19 am UTC

Ah, damn. I was all set to choose the Halting problem before you showed up, zenten. Though I'd choose it to be in O(2^-x) time. That's right, baby, the more data you feed it, the faster it answers!

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:56 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:Ah, damn. I was all set to choose the Halting problem before you showed up, zenten. Though I'd choose it to be in O(2^-x) time. That's right, baby, the more data you feed it, the faster it answers!

That would put programmers out of a job.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:57 am UTC

So would yours. ^_^

Considering we'd all have perfect knowledge, though, I doubt it would be a problem.

parallax

Postby parallax » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:23 am UTC

oxoiron wrote:

Objects sort-of already do this.
Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test.

Ben The Fantastic

Postby Ben The Fantastic » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:03 am UTC

I would change the law of physics that prevents me from shooting lasers out of my eyes.

idont_know12

Postby idont_know12 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:21 am UTC

I'd just like to have access to the fourth spatial dimension, without insane scientific devices or years of intense meditation.

Graham's Number

Postby Graham's Number » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:29 am UTC

I would quite like absolute mental control of electromagnetism, even if it was only to the point of understanding exactly how it works. Better than gravity in my opinion, as it is much stronger and could be used to shoot lightning from your hands (thereby winning on the coolness factor). It could even be used for levitation.
And you thought a googolplex was big...

Bondolon

Postby Bondolon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:32 am UTC

The denaturing of proteins isn't exactly something that we conceptualize as an irreversible law. As the denaturing of egg proteins is pretty thermo-chemical in nature, it's not really universally impossible to reverse the process, you just have to fine-tune the science that we already have. To actually throw off one of the established laws of the universe, however, would probably make the universe stop existing in any coherent form.

thedancecmmndr

Postby thedancecmmndr » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:36 am UTC

Why all this talk of changing the second law of thermo dynamics? Why not the first law? Can you imagine all the things you could do if energy wasn't conserved? Well... anything!
The zeroth law is kind of annoying too sometimes. Like when your coffee is cold or your ice cream melts.

dumbclown

Postby dumbclown » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:45 am UTC

Make absolute zero obsolete. Don't know why just seems like a good idea.

esther

Postby esther » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:24 am UTC

I wouldn't mind going through a black hole... then coming back again. don't know if that counts as breaking a law or not - i just think it would be cool.

Return to “Science”