Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

somitomi

Re: Thoughts for ships

Postby somitomi » Sun May 12, 2019 5:42 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I wouldn't be much more scared of a tripe trailer combo driving at >100 km/h than a single (heavily loaded) trailer. While a triple pendulum gets chaotic more easily, it takes some fascination and driving experience with cars to try drive such a death trap on the motorway.

While I wouldn't deny that these folks have a lot of driving experience, I don't think more driving experience would make someone more likely to do this. What it takes is a certain disregard for the highway code and safety in general.
—◯-◯ FG Discord

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun May 12, 2019 11:40 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
Flumble wrote:I wouldn't be much more scared of a tripe trailer combo driving at >100 km/h than a single (heavily loaded) trailer. While a triple pendulum gets chaotic more easily, it takes some fascination and driving experience with cars to try drive such a death trap on the motorway.

While I wouldn't deny that these folks have a lot of driving experience, I don't think more driving experience would make someone more likely to do this. What it takes is a certain disregard for the highway code and safety in general.

More self-perceived and less actual driving experience, the Dunning-Krueger spike of on-road arrogance?
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sat May 18, 2019 10:37 am UTC

somitomi wrote:This post will mention various forms of towing and combinations of those, so I'm inclined to introduce notation:
A.B A tows (trailer) B with a tow hitch
A-B A tows vehicle B with a rope or towpole
A[B] A carries B on top. If B is connected to something not on A, the symbol for this connection will precede the closing brackets, while the symbol for a connection to A will be after it.
A while ago a short video showing a minivan towing another car (minivan-car in my newly introduced system) at around 130 km/h on motorway made the rounds on the Hungarian parts of the internet, provoking a little frightened awe. A little while later, a Romanian van crashed on a Hungarian motorway, it's driver then astounding the public of both countries by covering the remaining thousand kilometers in the wrecked van he "repaired" with copious amounts of sellotape and cardboard boxes. A little while later police stopped a veritable road train: van.trailer[van-]van. You might think this is hard to top, but you're demonstrably wrong, the winning combination as of yesterday is: car transporter[car].trailer[car]-car.trailer[car]
Welcome to Hungary: you're not on the Balkans or in Soviet Russia, but we're a transit country so you might as well be.

But wait, there's more: Variations on a theme of truck[truck[car]].
—◯-◯ FG Discord

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Sat May 18, 2019 12:41 pm UTC

Is that also towing a trailer full of washing machines? The gas mileage must be horrible!
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri May 24, 2019 10:44 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:Is that also towing a trailer full of washing machines? The gas mileage must be horrible!

I think they're pallet-sized plastic tanks like this one. They're probably mostly empty (the water in those tanks alone would weigh something like 20-30 metric tons), but it's a bit scary to think how this one would react to crosswind. The recent media attention means photos and videos of such things keep popping up, which is equal parts scary and amusing.
—◯-◯ FG Discord

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Fri May 24, 2019 7:18 pm UTC

"A 3t truck carrying a 1t car and towing a 0.5t trailer with 2 x 2 x 8 1t water tanks on it (see figure a) leaves Leeds at 8:30 am and travels south along the M1 at 60 mph. A 4t truck carrying a 1.5t truck carrying a 0.5t car and towing a 0.5t trailer that is carrying a 0.75t car and also towing a 0.5t trailer that is carrying a 0.3t garden shed (see figure b) leave the M25 at 9:15 am and travels north along the M1 at 50 mph. In contraflow at roadworks, one of the vehicles leaves its lane and collides with the other. Which component will fly furthest? Show your working."

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun May 26, 2019 12:31 am UTC

Given all the extraneous info and lack of friction info, I'm going to say it's a trick question and it's the smoke from the aftermath that will fly furthest. (Or the news coverage, but that usually carries rather than flies far.)

Why does ubuntu show the numbers along the taskbar icons after you've pressed a [Win][digit] combination (to switch to/open one of those programs)? It would be more convenient if it showed you the numbers the moment you hold down the [Win] key.

Meticulac

Postby Meticulac » Tue May 28, 2019 3:24 am UTC

It's almost surprising to me that consumer cooperatives aren't more of a thing in software and websites. See if you can crowdfund enough to cover two years of starting up, then focus on strategies that offer job security and promote user loyalty. I guess equity for ad-watching could be an awkward system to deal with if that's the business model you go for, especially when it means you're harvesting data specifically from your investors.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 28, 2019 3:45 pm UTC

Isn't that essentailly the current (so probably outdated since I'm not on the cutting edge) method, see also Snapchat/Instagram/etc that I quit using due to it?

That is - offer free service, operate at loss, build userbase. Once userbase is established and addicted, add in advertisements to pay for service and sell user data. You're now crowdfunding your service.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue May 28, 2019 7:06 pm UTC

Meticulac wrote:It's almost surprising to me that consumer cooperatives aren't more of a thing in software and websites. See if you can crowdfund enough to cover two years of starting up, then focus on strategies that offer job security and promote user loyalty. I guess equity for ad-watching could be an awkward system to deal with if that's the business model you go for, especially when it means you're harvesting data specifically from your investors.
I think there is no co-op software because open source is such a thing, so that's what people tend to do if they're not profit minded.

Although, I can see co-op being advantageous in some situations since it would allow core design to be done by a full time team.

Regarding advertising, I think one of the biggest failure of the internet so far is our inability to put a nickle into a website. If I want to read an article from a news source with professional reports and fact checking and all that, paying a nickle seems fine, but I might not want to commit to a subscription or trust you with my credit card info.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:50 pm UTC

Drinks v drinks.png

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:13 pm UTC

You've had too many alcohols to put this in xkcdSW.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:42 pm UTC

Should have added another label: "number of bullets I own," right along that x-axis, because it is zero.

Return to “General”