Phones and Internet; agree or disagree

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

free-bee

Phones and Internet; agree or disagree

Postby free-bee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:13 pm UTC

So I just had a thought. Modern phone systems rely on computer networks to rout phone conversations to the correct destination. Does this technically mean that you are talking to them on (or through, to be more accurate) the internet? This question assumes the "internet" to be: "a network of computer networks" where the computer networks, in this case, are the phone switches.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Re: Phones and Internet; agree or disagree

Postby ahammel » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

The internet is a network of computers, but not every network of computers is the internet.

So no.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:36 pm UTC

Generally, the answer is no, but it depends on what your talking about. My Cell-phone has the capacity to route calls over the wireless which is awesome because I can make and receive calls as long as I have internet access (very useful while traveling in foreign countries). My understanding, however, is that the call is routed through the internet and then pushed out on to the public switched telephone network (PSTN), probably through a normal trunk on a call server. There are plenty of intranet only VOIP deployments but when you start talking about VOIP calling to a non-VOIP number, or even a VOIP number in a different location, chances are you're messing with the PSTN.

The line between PSTN and Internet is getting thinner. Thanks to SIP (session initiation protocol) telephony, call servers are moving from the monolithic PBX (public branch exchange) model to a smaller, more distributed call server model that can be housed on an old Linux box (I'm running Asterisk Free out of a 1ghz machine in the back of my house). Not to say they aren't still very complicated. Microsoft's Lync system is hideously complicated for larger deployments and it requires some pretty beefy servers to run.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

dii

Postby dii » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

No, because of one thing: the greed of telecom companies.

Here's the thing: the price of cellphone calls when counted as dollars/byte is incredibly bloated. It has about a 500 000% profit margin. Seriously, do the math. And that's not even speaking of SMS messages - those are so ridiculously overpriced it's not even funny... the cost of sending SMS messages, as dollars/byte, is higher than the price of transmitting data from mars!

With that context, it starts to make sense - in the most horrible way - why the ITU wanted to take over the internet a while back. Thank gob they didn't succeed. It also makes sense why carriers are reluctant to allow Skype on phones. It also makes sense how carriers are able to offer seemingly "great" deals on calls within the same carrier - because the prices are so ridiculously marked up to begin with, they can offer discounts easily, especially when it's within their own network so they don't have to share any of that money.

So you might ask, how come competition doesn't fix this? How come some up-and-coming telecom company doesn't start up their own service, offering cheap calls over the internet? Well, the problem is, that the calls to other carriers' numbers would still be just as expensive. So it's a chicken-and-egg problem, no one can lower their prices unless everyone else agrees to do it too - and why would they, they'd be stupid not to gouge the public for all they can. The telecom companies have some of the most inefficient business models - most of them are way overstaffed, way too bloated, but they have no incentive to change because they are able to charge whatever they want, there's no incentive to change the status quo.

But, like all things, this too shall pass. VoIP is getting more common, and once all the old technophobic fogies are dying off, we're going to have a new generation of people who have grown with smartphones, and who know how to use the internet. An economic recession can also be quite effective at skimming off the excessive fat, when people don't have extra money they start looking for ways to save on things like phone charges. So hopefully, not too long from now, we'll all be able to say "yes, phone calls are indeed going through internet".

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

Don't text & surf.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

free-bee

Postby free-bee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

Well this topic didn't get as many replies as I thought it would. Anyways, here are the current replies:
  • Yes - 0
  • It Depends - 1
  • No - 2
  • No Answer - 1
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

What made you think it would be a controversial topic?
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

idobox

Postby idobox » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

My provider in France uses voice over IP for telephone. The fact that they started as an Internet provider probably explains that.
As a result, calls are free for most destinations, including cell phones.
If there is no answer, there is no question. If there is no solution, there is no problem.

Waffles to space = 100% pure WIN.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

idobox wrote:My provider in France uses voice over IP for telephone. The fact that they started as an Internet provider probably explains that.
As a result, calls are free for most destinations, including cell phones.

Well; That explains your Sig. No Problem? No problem.

This has been bothering me, lately.
I know I don't understand it. Still.

Spoiler:
Cell phone and the Internet are in the Air!
Yet, Some places; The world is, still, divided up into the haves and the have nots.

Game Theory + Business Models and Marketing + More Money Than God = More, More Money Than God + Big Business Game + Theory

It reminds me of the American Indian Stories.
The Translators say, "They own the air."
Can you imagine? What would our ancestors think?

You own the ground. We own the air.
People are so snotty about their air.
My machine can pick up six to fifteen wifi signals.

Each and everyone is locked; Even mine.
The Company employs people to make sure the signals are locked.

Is it advertisements that make The People so unwilling to share the air?

I know I don't understand the systems. Why does one person has a Happy Little Light Bulb the next person only has two bars? Why?
Verizon connects better than some knock off carrier?
But; Verizon only has two bars at the other end of town and the knock of has a Happy Little Light Bulb.

Is that true?

It, just, seems wrong.
If you have the machine, then you can pick up the signal.
Why not?
Radios did. Do Radios still do that?

Radios are still the same old one sided conversation?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

dii

Postby dii » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Return to “General”