Randall: Get a grip

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Exodus5000

Randall: Get a grip

Postby Exodus5000 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:25 am UTC

I registered this account specifically in the hopes that Randall will read this message. It will likely be the only post I make to this forum, but I was compelled enough to register an account specifically on the off chance that it may have some miniscule impact.

Randall, for god sake come to terms with your mortality already. You are going to die, it will almost certainly be in the next 60 years, and there is nothing that is going to change that.

You are a man, part of being a man means coming to terms with death. You come to terms with death so that you can take care of others. MAN THE FUCK UP.

Menacing Spike

Re: Randall: Get a grip

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:44 am UTC

Exodus5000 wrote:MAN THE FUCK UP.

I find this expression really sexist and offensive!

teelo

Postby teelo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:57 am UTC

GET A GRIP RANDALL! See that ball there? Don't let it slip! Get a grip!

Exodus5000

Postby Exodus5000 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:01 am UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Exodus5000 wrote:MAN THE FUCK UP.

I find this expression really sexist and offensive!

Suck it up, the world doesn't have to cater to your sensibilities.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:11 am UTC

But Randall has to cater to yours. A-ok.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Exodus5000

Postby Exodus5000 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:15 am UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:But Randall has to cater to yours. A-ok.

In fact I expect he won't. But he should.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:31 am UTC

Listen, we're all very happy for you that you feel comfortable lumping people into gender roles, and dictating whether a person is allowed to contemplate their own mortality. Really, we are. Do you think you could do it somewhere else, though?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:16 am UTC

This thread is now about radical notions of new emoticons. How about this one: {ÖE what could it mean???
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

curtis95112

Postby curtis95112 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:37 am UTC

It's obviously the horrified expression of a large-eared person witnessing one of xir ears melt down, forcing xem to confront xir mortality.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
Роберт wrote:Sure, but at least they hit the intended target that time.

Well, if you shoot enough people, you're bound to get the right one eventually.

Thats the best description of the USA ever.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:38 am UTC

Kewangji wrote:This thread is now about radical notions of new emoticons. How about this one: {ÖE what could it mean???

A tripod siege weapon from medieval times. It is protected from arrows and such with a top-cover.
Attachments
pew pew.png
pew pew.png (1.89 KiB) Viewed 6173 times

yurell

Postby yurell » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:20 pm UTC

Exodus5000, he no longer visits these fora. If you wish to contact him, try visiting the About page for more information.

Although given the message you wish to convey, I doubt he'll pay you any mind. I think that answers your issue, so I imagine this thread will remain a spam thread until a mod closes it.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:{ÖE what could it mean???

Its a gladiator with a shield and a trident. Confronting his mortality.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

It's a large-nosed human with heavy, eye-covering eyebrows eating a squid and sneezing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

It's an Octorok with a jaunty cap.
I looked out across the river today …

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:00 pm UTC

It's obviously a person with a giant hand. Y'know, to get a better grip on stuff.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

It's clearly a portal gun pointing to the right.

nearby, a sentry turret contemplates it's immortality.

{ÖE________0|____|0_____

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:nearby, a sentry turret contemplates it's immortality.

MAN UP, SENTRY TURRET! Part of being a manly man-type sentry man-turret is being manly enough to understand your man-mortality.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

♫I don't hate you♫
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

It's clear that 'man' in the OP was meant as a general term for humanity, rather than for any particular gender. Any other meaning would be asinine. We should give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

Kewangji wrote:How about this one: {ÖE what could it mean???

It looks to me like someone hearing shocking news on the phone.
With, errr, a giant hand like Zarq suggests. Maybe the person is trying to use the hand to fend of the news somehow, since it's so shocking.

Or maybe it's one of those giant novelty foam supporter-hands, and the phone call is just saying that the person's favourite team lost. Hence the shock.

Radical_Initiator wrote:
Vieto wrote:nearby, a sentry turret contemplates it's immortality.

MAN UP, SENTRY TURRET! Part of being a manly man-type sentry man-turret is being manly enough to understand your man-mortality.

This is the best post ever.

Exodus5000 wrote:I registered this account specifically in the hopes that Randall will read this message. It will likely be the only post I make to this forum,

6 posts later... :P
Admit it, you're hooked!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

dudiobugtron wrote:It's clear that 'man' in the OP was meant as a general term for humanity, rather than for any particular gender. Any other meaning would be asinine. We should give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

Well, no. Because in ... uh.. pretty much ever context, the meaning of "Man up" is "Stop being such a woman"

No, really, it is.

Because if the speaker wasn't trying to say "Stop being such a woman", they speaker would say "Grow up"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:06 pm UTC

And I'm pretty sure this attitude is way more destructive than big boobs in videogames or whatever makes heroic defenders of equality erupt in righteous fury those times.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

What's that, someone you don't have a personal relationship with or means of communicating with occasionally quips about fearing mortality and enduring an ongoing existential crisis? Maybe this person had some scary calls with ill loved ones, and thinks about death and loss a fair amount?

I'm sure being an obnoxious idiot to them and demanding they 'just get over it' will 'fix them'. Your service towards improving the quality of people's lives is praiseworthy.

Ass.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Radical_Initiator

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:And I'm pretty sure this attitude is way more destructive than big boobs in videogames or whatever makes heroic defenders of equality erupt in righteous fury those times.

Why should we have to worry about which attitude is worse? Is sexism bad? I think it is, but you may disagree. But if it's bad, we fight it. We can fight more than one battle at a time.

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:And I'm pretty sure this attitude is way more destructive than big boobs in videogames or whatever makes heroic defenders of equality erupt in righteous fury those times.

Yeah, seriously. It's like you're they're doing more than one thing wrong or something.

3rdtry

Postby 3rdtry » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

Exodus5000 wrote:and there is nothing that is going to change that.

Ahem, cryonics might.

OK, you'd still technically be dead for a while, and I admit the chances of being revived are pretty slim, but still.

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:12 pm UTC

That's actually a much better cause. Get Randall to realize it's cryonics and not cryogenics.
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

I find it hard to take your "gender stereotypes are bad, we should stop being so sexist" point of view seriously, given your avatar.
Unless "Charmander Pants" are an actual thing you can turn on, in which case I apologise.

SecondTalon wrote:
dudiobugtron wrote:It's clear that 'man' in the OP was meant as a general term for humanity, rather than for any particular gender. Any other meaning would be asinine. We should give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

Well, no. Because in ... uh.. pretty much ever context, the meaning of "Man up" is "Stop being such a woman"

No, really, it is.

Because if the speaker wasn't trying to say "Stop being such a woman", they speaker would say "Grow up"

Thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt and assuming I wasn't being facetious. :)
I was, as you were probably aware, but it's still nice to be given the benefit of the doubt. I will therefore continue to reply to your post as though neither of us has their tongue in their cheek:

"Grow up" doesn't really get across the right point either, though. It's talking about maturity, rather than humanity. How do you say "live up to your expectations as a human w.r.t. death" in a pithy way?
"You might be harder to draw than Cueball, but your blood is just as easy to draw."?
"Unlike your web images, which will be around long after your death (at least until the domain name registration expires), you will be dead after your death."?
"If you're mortal and you know it, clap your hands."?

TBH, I'm pretty happy with "(HU)MAN THE FUCK UP."

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:01 am UTC

Exodus5000 wrote:You are a man, part of being a man means coming to terms with death.
Wooooooooooo. You heard it hear guys. Women don't have to come to terms with death. Given that doesn't make sense if they can die, since if they could, they would have to come to terms with it, it's clear that I will never die.

This is amazing. Oh man, I'm going to do all sorts of things. I am going to snowboard down Mt. Everest and it is going to be awesome! And and and since we don't need to repopulate ever again since 50% of the world's population will stay alive forever and that seems like enough, we don't need men!

So uh, guys. Have fun coming to terms with death while we girls go shark-riding and lava-surfing and oh my gosh we will have so much fun. Hey guys. Stop complaing about dying. Get over it, you're really killing the mood here, we're reenacting the Battle of Legnica with real weapons and you guys are getting in the way.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:18 am UTC

dudiobugtron wrote:

I find it hard to take your "gender stereotypes are bad, we should stop being so sexist" point of view seriously, given your avatar.

Why? I'm not seeing the link. Actually, I see the link but don't think it's valid.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:09 am UTC

Seeing what happens to other threads when people start debating the merits of the culture of doing what the avatar is alluding to, it's probably better that I don't answer your question!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:14 am UTC

I assumed the Charmander was operating in a consensual environment.
You rang?

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:44 am UTC

As an aside, I love how similar 'consensual' is to 'co-sensual', and how they would both work in that sentence.

Sean Quixote

Postby Sean Quixote » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:02 am UTC

Something something, Rorschach test, something, pondering its own mortality.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:29 am UTC

omgryebread wrote:
Exodus5000 wrote:You are a man, part of being a man means coming to terms with death.
Wooooooooooo. You heard it hear guys. Women don't have to come to terms with death. Given that doesn't make sense if they can die, since if they could, they would have to come to terms with it, it's clear that I will never die.

This is amazing. Oh man, I'm going to do all sorts of things. I am going to snowboard down Mt. Everest and it is going to be awesome! And and and since we don't need to repopulate ever again since 50% of the world's population will stay alive forever and that seems like enough, we don't need men!

So uh, guys. Have fun coming to terms with death while we girls go shark-riding and lava-surfing and oh my gosh we will have so much fun. Hey guys. Stop complaing about dying. Get over it, you're really killing the mood here, we're reenacting the Battle of Legnica with real weapons and you guys are getting in the way.

This is why men are the *real* oppressed minority. Down with our immortal invincible gynoverlords!
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:41 am UTC

Overladies? Hmm... Overovaries!
In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
- Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician, musician, Nobel laureate (14 Jan 1875-1965)

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:46 am UTC

poxic wrote:Overovaries!

Hmmm...

>>Ovaries

Ovaries sounds the same as overies. Over-ies. Over-ies. As in "those above you".
Half-Life 3 Women as true leaders confirmed!

edit: and for good measure

>>ovaries

3 syllables. Approx. half of the population have them. They play a very important role in procreation, i.e. creating life.
Half-Life 3 confirmed!
You rang?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:46 am UTC

Zarq wrote:I assumed the Charmander was operating in a consensual environment.

Actually, this is antisexist - the woman removing her pants herself means she has agency.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:11 am UTC

Actually it's mystical, the pants removing themselves suggest ghostly activity.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:15 am UTC

Kewangji wrote:Actually it's mystical, the pants removing themselves suggest ghostly activity.

Or she's a tumblr girl and has a Pants-kin headmate that was brought to sexual satisfaction!

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

No, really, it is.

What if the speaker was trying to avoid ageist expressions?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Return to “General”