Randall: Get a grip

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Re: Randall: Get a grip

Postby Red Hal » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

Incidentally, that rather torturous-looking smiley is obviously a thrill-sucker lying on its back.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Jofur

Postby Jofur » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

I think this is why Randall doesn't come to the fora anymore. :(
Everybody is doing it and nobody knows why.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

Jofur wrote:I think this is why Randall doesn't come to the fora anymore. :(

I was just thinking that. Especially with that other post now. What is it, Bash Randall Week?
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

Randall = Rand Dall = Random Sheep

He's a bunch of sheeple. "Random" means a random one writes each comic. Wake up.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

Randall had stopped being on the forum before I joined.

Just.. throwing that out there.

Oh, sure, he has posted a few times since then, but he's not had a board presence.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
ahammel wrote:Is it ageist to suggest that children have not, as a rule, come to terms with their own mortality?

This is why elementary schools should teach philosophy. Existential dread is just as important as learning to read.

Should "Notes on 'Fear and Trembling'" come before or after nap time?
I looked out across the river today …

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:29 pm UTC

Radical_Initiator wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:
ahammel wrote:Is it ageist to suggest that children have not, as a rule, come to terms with their own mortality?

This is why elementary schools should teach philosophy. Existential dread is just as important as learning to read.

Before. that way instead of naps they can lie awake in dread, knowing that nothing but years of hard labour and endless toil await them.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Jofur

Postby Jofur » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
Radical_Initiator wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:

Before. that way instead of naps they can lie awake in dread, knowing that nothing but years of hard labour and endless toil await them.

Ooh! Don't forget disappointment!

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:Bash Randall Week?

I wanted to join in but the most recent comic is funny again. Bah.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Zarq wrote:Bash Randall Week?

I wanted to join in but the most recent comic is funny again. Bah.

But it was late! How dare he force us to wait!!!!!!!!1 I mean, he usually updates his free webcomic much earlier than he did this Wednesday. FOR SHAME!
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:50 am UTC

Randall your comic is so bad I signed up just to tell you how bad it is, it's so bad. Also you suck. Also don't bother replying to my comment because I won't post here anymore, you mindless servants.

*swish* 8-)
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Postby superglucose » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:36 am UTC

I came here in my drunken, slovenly state expecting something remotely approaching intellectual discourse.

Now I feel like going back and playing League of Legends. That's how bad your OP was.

Jofur

Postby Jofur » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

superglucose wrote:I came here in my drunken, slovenly state expecting something remotely approaching intellectual discourse.

Now I feel like going back and playing League of Legends. That's how bad your OP was.

I think we were all here to say the same thing. (About OP)

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:20 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
styrofoam wrote:So some random internet nut writes a post that's one insult way from bullying, and the forum starts discussing the sexist implications of the phrase "man up."

I love tolerance and progress. It's gotten to the point where we don't even notice gender any more.

It's hardly bullying, it was a criticism. An unfair one?, maybe. But bullying would be insulting Randall's art style or his type of humor.

1) I did say "one insult away from."

2) How does "man up" not imply that Randall's deficient in some important way? Insulting his person?
aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

The OP was UP. Heh heh heh.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:51 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:3 syllables. Approx. half of the population have them. They play a very important role in procreation, i.e. creating life.
Half-Life 3 confirmed!

Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings: "The average human has one testicle and one ovary" ... Which I infer to explain that simply having a statistic for something does not necessarily add any information.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:34 pm UTC

mosc wrote:
Zarq wrote:3 syllables. Approx. half of the population have them. They play a very important role in procreation, i.e. creating life.
Half-Life 3 confirmed!

Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings: "The average human has one testicle and one ovary" ... Which I infer to explain that simply having a statistic for something does not necessarily add any information.

My favorite is "most people have a greater than average number of fingers".

3rdtry

Postby 3rdtry » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

brenok wrote:
mosc wrote:
Half-Life 3 confirmed!

My favorite is "most people have a greater than average number of fingers".

Works better with legs.

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote: The Universal You of English Speakers thinks "Male" when they read "Person" because the language itself has grown around the idea of Men being the only thing worth speaking about so they are always the presumed subject unless defined otherwise.

You think landowning men didn't talk about women?

Ah this is where we make absolute statements in line with our existing position but backed in a similar style to how assertion that the fact that a house is mentioned to have windows in *insert old book here* means that it's symbolic of openness.

Can I play too?

"The use of the same term for objects and men signifies the historical objectification of the majority of men, placing them on an equal level with goods to be bought and sold since men have historically been seen as the most expendable elements of society expected to be used up in war much like other consumables such as crates of gunpowder or horses.

Contrasted with this, objects of extremely high value such as ships, countries or areas of land which due to their high value get elevated from the masculine status of objects by being refered to with the feminine pronoun."

Of course it's a load of crap, you'd need an extremely detailed analysis of exactly how and when the usage of the terms changed to make any such statements either way and some things just happen without having any deeper meaning or symbolism.
Last edited by HungryHobo on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

maninblack
Location: I'm out of my mind at the moment please leave a message after the beep.

Postby maninblack » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

Jofur wrote:I think this is why Randall doesn't come to the fora anymore. :(

FWIW: This is why I do come to the fora.
addams wrote:It was like a game of Rugby and I was the Puck. Yeah. I was taking a beating and I was in the wrong game.
roband wrote:If this is a serious question, the answer is no.
If it's a philosophical one, I have no idea.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:28 pm UTC

@HungryHobo: SexyTalon's specific sentence you quoted may be questionable, but the fact remains that a term which once meant a human of non-specific sex, "man", came at some point to be assumed to mean a male human, unless specifically marked by the feminine "wom" prefix; whereas previously that meaning would require the explicitly masculine "wer" prefix. So it's clear that, for whatever reason, the language community at some point began to assume that a random human ("man") was male unless otherwise specified, which would suggest that talking about male humans was somehow the default.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:11 am UTC

HungryHobo wrote:"The use of the same term for objects and men
To which term are you referring? Because none of the pronouns work, nor does "man" itself.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:11 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:@HungryHobo: SexyTalon's specific sentence you quoted may be questionable, but the fact remains that a term which once meant a human of non-specific sex, "man", came at some point to be assumed to mean a male human, unless specifically marked by the feminine "wom" prefix; whereas previously that meaning would require the explicitly masculine "wer" prefix. So it's clear that, for whatever reason, the language community at some point began to assume that a random human ("man") was male unless otherwise specified, which would suggest that talking about male humans was somehow the default.

I completely agree, my point was that attributing a shaky narative to it which just happens to fit in which what you already believe is just a way to mislead yourself.

Perhaps it's because women got lumped with childcare a lot (what with gender roles) and as such essentially also became the ones teaching language to the upcoming generations and for some reason tended to refer to men without the gendered prefix like someone saying "those people over there" rather than "those men over there". Perhaps women with small children talked about men a lot and tended to shorten the term. Perhaps (because gender roles) women got stuck at home while men were out working so saying "the men(people) will me home soon" came to be interperted by children to be equivilent to "the men(males) will be home soon"

but that's getting too narative-like.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some reason of some kind linked to gender roles but if you pick a specific narative like assuming it was because people hated women or because people didn't see women as people or weren't interested in even talking about half the population or because of something like my example flawed statement above then you're probably just pulling it out of your arse.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:19 am UTC

Yes, because assuming that women weren't seen as equal and valuable members of society in the last 500-1000 years of european history would be so entirely off-base.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:21 am UTC

According to Wikipedia:
In Old English, wīfmann meant "female human", whereas wēr meant "male human". Mann or monn had a gender-neutral meaning of "human", corresponding to Modern English "person" or "someone", however subsequent to the Norman Conquest, man began to be used more in reference to "male human", and by the late 1200s had begun to eclipse usage of the older term wēr.

----------------------------------

Belial wrote:Yes, because assuming that women weren't seen as equal and valuable members of society in the last 500-1000 years of european history would be so entirely off-base.

They speak/spoke other languages than just English during those years. :P

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:42 am UTC

Belial wrote:Yes, because assuming that women weren't seen as equal and valuable members of society in the last 500-1000 years of european history would be so entirely off-base.

You honestly think you're making a rebuttal???

You're arguing against something else entirely.

If I said "I honestly don't think rockets are shaped that way because the engineers making them were all men obsessed with penises, perhaps there are other reasons that aren't about symbolism and your narative" would you reply "Yes, because assuming that there weren't lots of female engineers working on early rockets 50-60 years ago would be so entirely off-base"?

Your comment is irrelevant. it's trivially true but has nothing to do with what I said.

The language has some quirks with pronouns that got into the language over the course of hundreds of years as languages merged.
Women weren't equal.
That doesn't mean that any flimsy narative you can think up to link the 2 is automatically correct.

Put another way:
Do you assume that women were seen as equal and valuable members of society before the language changed when the male and female prefixes were both still there and "he" wasn't the correct pronoun for a person of unknown gender?
Last edited by HungryHobo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:42 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:24 am UTC

HungryHobo wrote:If I said "I honestly don't think rockets are shaped that way because the engineers making them were all men obsessed with penises, perhaps there are other reasons that aren't about symbolism and your narative" would you reply "Yes, because assuming that there weren't lots of female engineers working on early rockets 50-60 years ago would be so entirely off-base"?

I think that's what you meant.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

styrofoam wrote:1) I did say "one insult away from."
Which insists that it was pretty close to bullying. It wasn't.

styrofoam wrote:2) How does "man up" not imply that Randall's deficient in some important way? Insulting his person?
By itself it may very well be but in conjunction with the message along the lines of "you philosophy of mortality bleeding into the comics is stating to bum me out" it would be interpreted more along the lines of a "tough love" or "intervention" situation.
Last edited by Fire Brns on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

Sean Quixote

Postby Sean Quixote » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

Haha, penis.

Return to “General”